Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Car prices soar...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
That’s the average age of cars on the road , up 2x. Lifetime extension is even longer. Pining for the good old days of crappy made, dirty, noisy cars ftom the 60s and 70s is great cloud yelling material but not based in reality

The lift ftom the T2 Bay to the T3 Vanagon was huge in manufacturing methods and materials

Thanks for the usual facts, Andy

Interesting! I bought a 1961 Vette in 1978, a 1967 Vette in 1976, a 1960 Caddy in 1979, a 1964 Chevy in 1974, a 1976 Chevy in 1989, a 1979 GMC van in 1989, a 1965 Dodge van in 1975, a 1969 Dodge in 1978, and a 1969 Chrysler in 1978. Boy, did I get lucky!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Back in the mid 80s when we were expanding our family and driving a 69 Bay window which needed a valve job and was rusting out I looked into buying a new VW Bus. Way beyond our means! It 15 years they went from being the working man's family wheels to priced out of reason for the average guy. Was it taxes or money exchange markets? I don't know.

Anyway we switched to Dodge mini vans for the next 10 years. They were nearly 1/2 the price, got better fuel mileage, were easier/cheaper to fix, had better heat in the winter and much more! Lee Iacocca picked up the ball that VW dropped!

As for cars today, I do not see any improvement in rust out rates here where we live in spite of supposed improvements made but perhaps that is because the salt rates have gone up and they are now using calcium chloride which is far more corrosive than salt ever was! We regularly see pickup trucks with rear wheel wells and cab corners rusted through in 5 or 6 years and cars without rocker panels and dog legs in 7 to 8 years.

Eastern Canada seems even worse, their cars show up here at auctions 3 years old and won't pass a safety inspection because of rusted out suspension mounts!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

It's not just cars that have this inflation problem. In 67 my Dad bought a new house for $15K on a $1.50 an hour job. Today the average working guy gets $30 per hour and the average family home depending on which city is around $750K! Wages increased 20 X while houses are 50 X more.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
It's not just cars that have this inflation problem. In 67 my Dad bought a new house for $15K on a $1.50 an hour job. Today the average working guy gets $30 per hour and the average family home depending on which city is around $750K! Wages increased 20 X while houses are 50 X more.

I'll go out on a limb and say that the now typical multi-income household has contributed mightily to the inflation problem.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Car prices soar... Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That’s the average age of cars on the road , up 2x. Lifetime extension is even longer. Pining for the good old days of crappy made, dirty, noisy cars ftom the 60s and 70s is great cloud yelling material but not based in reality

The lift ftom the T2 Bay to the T3 Vanagon was huge in manufacturing methods and materials

Thanks for the usual facts, Andy

Interesting! I bought a 1961 Vette in 1978, a 1967 Vette in 1976, a 1960 Caddy in 1979, a 1964 Chevy in 1974, a 1976 Chevy in 1989, a 1979 GMC van in 1989, a 1965 Dodge van in 1975, a 1969 Dodge in 1978, and a 1969 Chrysler in 1978. Boy, did I get lucky!

Math cures conformational bias, you can count on that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18
Jump to:
Page 18 of 18

Jump to: