Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Another brake bleeding issue - UPDATE 11-1-2022
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Another brake bleeding issue - UPDATE 11-1-2022 Reply with quote

To preface, I've searched and read through multiple brake related posts here on the forum, but I am stumped - or maybe I just need to be enlightened.

Here is as much info as I can pass along as to what I've done so far and also what the issue is as it stands.

I initially replaced all 4 drum brake components on my 1970 Bug. This includes replacing the shoes, wheel cylinders, hardware, and drums for all 4 brakes. I also replaced both rear parking brake cables as one was seized. In addition, I replaced all soft lines for all 4 wheels. I have tightened all 4 drums to where they are difficult to turn per reading the forums.

Initially, I had some help from a buddy and I was bleeding the system using the 2 man system. I soon realized that I had a hole in the metal brake line connecting the MC to the rear brakes under the floorboard area. After removing the seats and pulling all of the old carpet out, I then replaced that and thought that I had all fittings tight.

As I started bleeding the brakes using the 1-man suction setup, I realized that I had a leak where the rear line connects to the T fitting. I tightened this up and have not seen a leak there yet. I mention this because I know that fluid was flowing rearward within the new metal brake line using this suction set up.

Fast forward to the last week or so of me being able to dedicate 20-30 minutes a day to wrapping this brake project up. I have had to use the 1-man suction bleeder method as I have been working from home and didn't have anyone available to help. Here is what I'm experiencing in using this method, starting from the right rear wheel (which Ive switched BTW after searching more on here, but which hasn't changed when doing the front left wheel). When I pump up to 15 psi and crack the bleeder, I am only get a spittle of fluid coming through the tube. When I say spittle, I mean that literally. It looks like a spittle of fluid and you can hear the spitting of it. I then started to pump the suction pump while the bleeder remained open, hoping to draw air out of the line, but there really was no change to the amount, or lack thereof, of fluid coming out of the line. I have done this for 30 minutes at a time daily for a week with no change to the flow rate coming out of the line.

This has been the same result when I switched to bleeding the front left after reading that this is the correct starting procedure.

Today, I was finally to recruit someone to help me do the 2 man pump set up. We tried the pump slowly 5 times, hold, crack the bleeder, and then release method first. Then we tried the crack the bleeder, press the pedal down slowly, tighten the bleeder, and then release the brake pedal method. We did this for 30 minutes or so on just the front left wheel without moving on to any other wheel. I was getting more fluid coming out the tube, and no spittle, but definitely not a steady stream no matter which method we used.

I guess after all of this, my question is how long can I expect to have to bleed one wheel to get air out of the lines or am I doing something wrong? Is this amount of air usual when replacing as many lines as I did? Ive gone though one big bottle of brake fluid so far and cant see any leaks anywhere under the car or at any fitting.

I'm at a loss and will take any and all advice at this point and am willing to try anything.

Last edited by Jonah_fiddler on Sat Oct 01, 2022 12:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Get one of these.
You’ll spend more time hooking it up than it will take you to bleed all four.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

I'd Search gravity bleeding
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Not sure if this will help but it sounds like you just have a lot of air still in the system.

I just put the brakes together on my '74 Super. I had emptied out the system as I needed to replace the front quarter panel. I reconnected the reservoir w/new lines, tightened the rear drums to where I could not turn the wheels. Front are disc. Then I filled the reservoir, left the top of it off, and let the system gravity bleed for like 30 minutes. I had some pedal, but not much. I closed the bleeders, topped off the reservoir, left it uncapped, then started pumping the brake pedal, not hard and fast, but steady. 30+ pumps, go back and again top off the reservoir - it was obviously dropping after pumping. I did this 2-3 times and now have a good pedal that gets solid just over an inch after pressing the pedal. The finishing touch will be the 2-person method w/my wife this weekend.

'74 Super 9/16 - present, in refurb process.
'73 Super - 6/18 - Present - Daily Driver!
'75 Super Le Grande...waiting it's turn in line behind '74.
Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Not sure if this will help but it sounds like you just have a lot of air still in the system.

I just put the brakes together on my '74 Super. I had emptied out the system as I needed to replace the front quarter panel. I reconnected the reservoir w/new lines, tightened the rear drums to where I could not turn the wheels. Front are disc. Then I filled the reservoir, left the top of it off, and let the system gravity bleed for like 30 minutes. I had some pedal, but not much. I closed the bleeders, topped off the reservoir, left it uncapped, then started pumping the brake pedal, not hard and fast, but steady. 30+ pumps, go back and again top off the reservoir - it was obviously dropping after pumping. I did this 2-3 times and now have a good pedal that gets solid just over an inch after pressing the pedal. The finishing touch will be the 2-person method w/my wife this weekend.

Question for you and Cusser...when you gravity bleed, do you do all 4 wheels at once or one at a time? I tried gravity bleeding one at a time and wasn't sure if I was doing it right...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Jonah_fiddler wrote:
Question for you and Cusser...when you gravity bleed, do you do all 4 wheels at once or one at a time? I tried gravity bleeding one at a time and wasn't sure if I was doing it right...

I did the entire brake thing on my own 1970 in 2016, after it sat on the side of my house for 23 years, except my steel brake lines were fine (Arizona), when I resurrected it. I retained the same brake drums and steel lines, even got new brake hardware.

Gravity bleed I did one at a time; I used masking tape to hold the plastic bleed hose higher than the master cylinder, and just let gravity do its thing.

I used Brazilian master cylinder and Chinese wheel cylinders too. Folks like to blame China for all bad parts, but Chinese make some good stuff too like the Won Ton Soup at the place on the corner, the world's best !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Howdy ...

After trying those hand pumpers & getting air from bleeder screws I made a positive pressure bleeder from a cheap HF garden sprayer that goes on the reservoir cap. That worked flawlessly but now I use my compressor on about 8 or 10psi with continuous pressure (I use a blowgun to set psi similar to a paint sprayer).

I didn't see where you said all shoes were tight against drum. This is critical as it allows pressure to build real quick instead of using pedal stroke to push shoes out.

Best luck ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

jinx758 wrote:
After trying those hand pumpers & getting air from bleeder screws I made a positive pressure bleeder from a cheap HF garden sprayer that goes on the reservoir cap. That worked flawlessly but now I use my compressor on about 8 or 10psi with continuous pressure (I use a blowgun to set psi similar to a paint sprayer).

I also made a home-made pressure bleeder, described here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=747133&highlight=1971+convertible+thread
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Last winter I did a disc brake conversion and I replaced the front brake lines and hoses as well. It took my wife and I forty minutes before I finally starting getting DOT 3 coming out of the bleeder valves. I'm not accustomed for bleeding to take so long so I was sure that I had a leak somewhere. I had no leak, it just took that long for the fluid to get to the valves.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Jonah_fiddler wrote:

I did the entire brake thing on my own 1970 in 2016, after it sat on the side of my house for 23 years, except my steel brake lines were fine (Arizona), when I resurrected it. I retained the same brake drums and steel lines, even got new brake hardware.

Gravity bleed I did one at a time; I used masking tape to hold the plastic bleed hose higher than the master cylinder, and just let gravity do its thing.

I used Brazilian master cylinder and Chinese wheel cylinders too. Folks like to blame China for all bad parts, but Chinese make some good stuff too like the Won Ton Soup at the place on the corner, the world's best !!!

I did all four at once. But probably didn't leave them nearly long enough. I also used a Motive pressure bleeder after the pedal pumping runs. Very few bubbles came out of each bleeder valve so my previous steps seem to have worked pretty well.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Thanks for everyone’s input on this, I really appreciate it.

Here’s an update for today.

I bought a pneumatic bleeder and hooked it up to my air compressor. Made sure that all 4 drums were still adjusted tight and then started in the drivers side front. Unfortunately, it’s the same result. For pushing an hour, I’ve been trying to bleed the drivers front with only spittle of brake fluid coming out. I can’t seem to get a good stream at all.

I assume at this point, I must have a leak in the system somewhere. I’ve checked all bleeder screws and soft/hard line connections and I don’t see any leaks.

Does this mean I should swap the MC out to rule out the last component? I have a new one already.

Thanks again guys.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Other than not getting a pedal, are you going thru brake fluid like it's on sale? It should take less than one of those typical quart+ brake fluid containers to fill the system. If you're going thru a lot of fluid, check your hard line going thru the car, and the front of the pedal pushrod where it goes into the MC for signs of leaking fluid. I've had the MC go bad and dump fluid into the napoleon's hat and floor in front of the pedal.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Other than not getting a pedal, are you going thru brake fluid like it's on sale? It should take less than one of those typical quart+ brake fluid containers to fill the system. If you're going thru a lot of fluid, check your hard line going thru the car, and the front of the pedal pushrod where it goes into the MC for signs of leaking fluid. I've had the MC go bad and dump fluid into the napoleon's hat and floor in front of the pedal.

When I originally started bleeding the brakes, I did go through a bottle and a half very quickly. That’s when I discovered the abrasion in the metal line from the MC to the rear T. I replaced that line and now with this new bleeding process, I have gone through almost 2 bottles, but I feel that all of it is coming into the catch reservoirs as I’ve been bleeding. That’s where the fluid spittle comes in to play. I’m getting a small amount of fluid coming out, but it’s probably 10-15 percent fluid and the rest is air.

I haven’t seen any leaks under the car as if the MC is leaking and about 80% of my bleeding has been suction with either a handheld device or the pneumatic bleeder. I only had access to someone to help for about 30 minutes yesterday.
vamram Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Just for fun and games, if you have no leaks, try my method.

Make sure all 8 shoes are tight and you can't turn any of the drums, bleeders closed.
Open the reservoir.
Fill it.
Leave it uncapped.
Without force, smooth normal brake push of the brake pedal to the floor, back up a bit slower, repeat oh 30 times.
Go check to see if the reservoir needs to be topped off, even a little. Do it, repeat this cycle oh 4-5 times.

If you're not having to top off the reservoir after each cycle, and/or you're not getting a pedal, i'm a bit at a loss as to the next step.

Click to view image
Save the Supers!!
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

The bleeder threads are a loose fit as they seal on the bottom so wrap the threads with Teflon thread tape to prevent the suction gun from drawing air from the bleeder threads instead of the brake lines. If you replaced the brake light switches they could be a leak source. Note, remove the Teflon tape when done.
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

vamram wrote:
Just for fun and games, if you have no leaks, try my method.

Make sure all 8 shoes are tight and you can't turn any of the drums, bleeders closed.
Open the reservoir.
Fill it.
Leave it uncapped.
Without force, smooth normal brake push of the brake pedal to the floor, back up a bit slower, repeat oh 30 times.
Go check to see if the reservoir needs to be topped off, even a little. Do it, repeat this cycle oh 4-5 times.

If you're not having to top off the reservoir after each cycle, and/or you're not getting a pedal, i'm a bit at a loss as to the next step.

Follow up. I did this twice, with no change in fluid level in the MC. I check the drums and they had loosened up from me tightening them down all of the way. I tightened them down again and did this method once more. During the 3rd time I saw a leak on the passenger front soft line. I tightened it down and tightened all of the drums down again. Did your method once more, no leaks. What’s weird though, no fluid level change and both front drums were loosened up again even though I had tightened than all of the way down.

Edit - I tightened the drums again and tried the 30 pumps. No change in fluid level, but both front drums could spin again.

Totally at a loss now. What could cause these to loosen back up? Did I do something wrong on the rebuild?
doug bugg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

I’ve read this thread five times and I too am at a loss. I don’t know what else to do if this fluid isn’t showing up SOMEwhere. Just curious, you said “bottles”. Were these pints or quarts of DOT 3?
Jonah_fiddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

doug bugg wrote:
I’ve read this thread five times and I too am at a loss. I don’t know what else to do if this fluid isn’t showing up SOMEwhere. Just curious, you said “bottles”. Were these pints or quarts of DOT 3?

These are the quart bottles.

The only thing I can think of is that I have a leak somewhere. Small enough to allow air, but not to leak fluid?

Most of the fluid is ending up in my catch bottles. I didn’t measure to see if it all was, but I’m only topping off the reservoir occasionally, but enough to go through 2 quarts of fluid in a week or so of bleeding them.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

You have tried all the normal bleeding techniques so it's time for the abnormal method of getting the brakes blead. Go to your local hobby shop and buy a glow fuel bulb and some silicone tubbing that will fit your bleeders tight then suck a bulb full of brake fluid from the mc reservoir, crack open a bleeder and squeeze the brake fluid into the wheel cyl. (have a helper watch for bubbles in the reservoir) repeat until no more bubbles then close the bleeder, repeat until all wheels have been filled, now if needed regular brake bleeding will work.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Another brake bleeding issue - not sure which direction to go... Reply with quote

Jonah_fiddler wrote:
I assume at this point, I must have a leak in the system somewhere. I’ve checked all bleeder screws and soft/hard line connections and I don’t see any leaks.

Does this mean I should swap the MC out to rule out the last component? I have a new one already.

Two things to investigate:
1) If your MC is old it may be leaking. When the seals in the MC fail brake fluid will leak into the rubber boot at the end you can see ahead of the pedal cluster. Crawl down there and see if there is any moisture (brake fluid) around the boot. You may even remove the push rod and push the boot in and see if fluid comes out the boot opening. Any fluid here means the MC piston seals have failed and the MC needs to be replaced/rebuilt. The fluid leaking here often ends up in between the bulkhead and drains down into the center tunnel (a leak you will not see). There is a drain hole at the rear end of the center tunnel just ahead of the area where the center section forks around the transmission. Check here for fluid.

2) Take a look at this basic diagram of the MC:

Notice how the fluid from the reservoir travels down passages marked "intake and return ports". These rest just ahead of the seals that make up the pistons when the pistons are at rest. It is critical that the piston not block these ports when the pedal is not being depressed. If blocked there is no path for the fluid to travel from the reservoir to the brake lines that runs to the front/rear WCs. Picture the red piston at the left slightly pressing the piston so the intake ports are blocked. The properly adjusted brake pushrod has a small amount of free play before the piston starts moving. This ensures the ports are not blocked.
An incorrectly adjusted brake pedal or MC push rod could prevent the piston from returning to the fully extended position. This would block off the flow of fluid. Pressure or vacuum methods of bleeding would fail as they cannot get the fluid to flow thru the brake lines. Some of your descriptions sound like this could be your problem.

One tip, I have found the the adapters that come with vacuum brake bleed kits have too loose a fit on the WC bleed screw. I have switched to aquarium hose tubing that will snap snugly over the end of the bleed screws. You still have the problem with air leaking around the threads of the screw but I no longer have issue with air leaking around the hose end adapter.
Tip 2, I use old plastic 750ml drink bottles in place of the cheap containers that come with budget hand pump vacuum bleed systems. Their caps also form a tighter air tight seal. I drill two holes in the cap and glue short lengths of steel tubing into the cap. One tube connects to the hose coming from the bleed screw, the other connects to the hand pump (or acts as a vent). Inside the bottle a short length of hose extends the inlet pipe connected to the bleed screw so it almost reaches the bottom of the bottle.
If used without the hand pump this bottle arrangement can be used for gravity bleeding. The larger flat bottom of the bottles makes them ideal if they have a bit of fluid in them as a weight.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: