Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:
P01518 is the only one that is unique.

the other two are typical in a conversion and do not affect any running issues. there are mods possibly to eliminate them by faking their signals.

agreed

but what are we working on? 2.2? 2.5? SVX? Frankenmotor?

Who did the swap? the harness work?

Did all of this just happen or is this some pig you "got a good deal on"?

we can get this sorted, no doubt but need more info and some detailed pix would be fantastic

it would also be beneficial if you 1) know the year of your donor and 2) buy a subscription to STIS:

https://techinfo.subaru.com/stis/#/login

or

Alldata DIY

https://www.alldata.com/diy-us/en/diy-repair-information

both have GFF (guided fault finding) and tons of info but you need to know what you have in order for it to have the data for your swap

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Is there anything equivalent to the VW Idiot Book for the 1990 and later Subarus?
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Is there anything equivalent to the VW Idiot Book for the 1990 and later Subarus?

I think that is called YouTube 🤣... And if there is one of love to see it as a 2.5 user

What does the VW one look like?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Franklinstower
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

The FSM - Factory Service Manual
Available through the Subaru Forums, like the Nabisco site, etc

They have full troubleshooting flow charts
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

vanis13 wrote:

What does the VW one look like?

https://www.amazon.com/How-Keep-Your-Volkswagen-Alive/dp/1562614800
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Franklinstower wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

The FSM - Factory Service Manual
Available through the Subaru Forums, like the Nabisco site, etc

They have full troubleshooting flow charts

Factory service manuals don't tend to be equivalent to the Idiot Book, FSM expect you to already understand the basics, while the Idiot Book did not.
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

paulcolorado21 wrote:
Hey All,

Looking for some advice on this issue. I cannot get my van to start or turn over. The TDI starter seems to be working great but it will not turn over even with some revving of the engine. The fuel pump is registering 30 psi, the spark plugs and coil are registering a charge. The engine smells like gas and seems like its flooded.

THE Fuel Injectors are showing constant power without the engine turned on.

Is this a problem with the ECU unit? Fuel Pump Relay? Where should I look next?

Any Help would be much appreciated, hoping to go on a big two month long trip very soon! I'm a Vanagon rookie purchased this last spring and have been loving it!

What engine is in your vehicle?
What year/model Subaru is the engine?
The ECM?
A common issue with a hodgepodge swap is that the engine, specifically, the crank sprocket is incompatible with the ECM.
More details are needed in order to assist you.
For Reference:

Early type sprocket
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Late type Sprocket
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
PDXnatv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

P01518 code is thrown when the ECM thinks the starter is not getting power. I am going to assume the wiring harness you have has been modified by someone who didn't know what they were doing. I would pull the harness and send it and the ECM and any info you have to Jeff Robenolt he runs Auto Ventures in Wisconsin. He is a master at these engines and conversions. A properly done wiring harness matched to the correct ECM is key in having your Vanagon operational for the rest of your happy days.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Was this engine running before? Injector pulse is controlled by the ECU. Is there power to the injectors with key off,key on and cranking? You could backprobe at the ECU connector using the ECU pinouts. Should only be with cranking. Otherwise I'd suspect the ECU.
wesitarz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Vanagon Subaru Conversion 2.5 Engine Flooded Reply with quote

Connect the two green test connectors and turn the key to ON. The fuel pump and fuel pump relay should be cycling. A fuel pressure of 30 psi seems low. With the fuel pump cycling I had cycling pressures of 35 and 40.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: