Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:10 am    Post subject: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Has anyone tried running a carter 43mm one barrel?
Had one on my old ford 250 six in HS ran quite good with a mild cam and header. Finding a good rebuilt core might be hard not loving the idea of a china unit but they are pretty cheap.

Got my new tubing bender all figured out so I can build a custom intake with proper heat tubes looking to do something different. Love my 34pic setup and want to keep the nice peppy bottom end for desert exploring plus having a electric choke for cold mornings is not something I'm willing to give up. The throttle opens the correct direction yes its on the other side minor detail but fuel inlet is in a good spot and the adjustment screws are ideally placed as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

Why not? Give it a go and let us know how it works.
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

I’ve been thinking about the intake manifold for single bbl carbs. Specifically would there be a performance gain if the downtube split higher up and had large radius bends instead of the OEM tee intersection. I have looked at a bunch of aftermarket intakes in the classifieds. Ones for the 2 bbls like Zeniths or DCNF or even the Bugpack progressive Weber manifold. One of these could be modded to mount a single bbl carb with a smooth transition and appropriately sized plenum above the 2 individual tubes leading to the rt and lf heads. You might could use an old steel Kadron manifold as a donor for the upper part of the manifold.

My current project is mounting a 34 EPC on a stock manifold.
DesertSasquatchXploration
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

Yes the stock style tee is not great. Picked up a 2inch OD .065 wall 45 deg bend yesterday for the carburetor base section. I'm going to form it in an oval shape at the transition point to the straight section that tube measures at 1.378 or 35mm OD.

Now...

I can get a .065 wall 1.375 OD tube easy buts that's only 31mm on the ID.
Have to order online for thinner wall and try to find something bigger like 36mm or 37mm OD and and carefully work the stock boots over would be nice if I can get it. I'm not sure what the stock 34 pic DP manifold ID measures at. I'm going out this weekend so wont be tearing it apart till next week.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
QRP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

You could fo half an IDF
it actually worked really nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
earthquake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

I would like to try running one 40mm Kadron, some body made a manifold but I don't remember who it was.

eQ
05 SCION XB SERIES RELEASE 2[#437]
95 Chevy C3500 dually
98 Ford E150
Link to Kelly J. Nolte 3/20/53 - 11/6/08
https://time-zonelabs.blogspot.com/p/about-kelly.html
DEATH TO CHINGERS!
[From a military recruitment poster in the novel "The Stainless Steel Rat" By Harry Harrison]
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:30 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

DesertSasquatchXploration wrote:
Yes the stock style tee is not great. Picked up a 2inch OD .065 wall 45 deg bend yesterday for the carburetor base section. I'm going to form it in an oval shape at the transition point to the straight section that tube measures at 1.378 or 35mm OD.

Now...

I can get a .065 wall 1.375 OD tube easy buts that's only 31mm on the ID.
Have to order online for thinner wall and try to find something bigger like 36mm or 37mm OD and and carefully work the stock boots over would be nice if I can get it. I'm not sure what the stock 34 pic DP manifold ID measures at. I'm going out this weekend so wont be tearing it apart till next week.

I would use header U bends
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

I have READ, no actual experience, that a T shaped intake will help keep fuel atomized while an intake with smooth bends will be more likely to promote fuel puddling and collecting on the intake walls.
Also, there’s aaaall kinds of adapters out there. Just the other day i saw an adapter for putting an IDF on a progressive intake. Looked cool but with an IDF sideways i see the linkage being enough of a nightmare it’d be better off to just buy the correct intake
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
rayjay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

I remembered another 1 bbl single carb idea I had. Use Kadron intakes with a custom tubular center section that runs above the alternator. The 1 bbl carb flange would sit right on top of the crosswise tube and could be perfectly centered side to side for equal length runners. The heat riser tubes would run along the crosswise tube so there would be no icing issues that plague oem pattern intakes.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Carter type YFA Carb, 1-Barrel upgrade Reply with quote

Back maybe 10 years ago, you could buy a set up for a single kadron. Dont know what size it was. I wanted one, but waited too long. They weren't on the market long. I understood they worked well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: