Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Parts Are the WORST
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:53 pm    Post subject: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Said a mechanic at the shop when my frank no start problem was traced to a bad distributor cap.

Got stranded on the Olympic Peninsula over the weekend. Thought it was my fuel pump since I couldn’t hear it. Nope. Though bad plugs since mine were old. Installed freshies. Nope. New plug wires since I broke one. Nope.

The connection inside my fairly new cap that transfers spark to the rotor broke. Even if I had checked it I don’t know that I would have seen it. But if I had a spare and swapped it . .

The upside? I know I can give my van a tuneup on the roadside, should the need arise again.

But I would rather have been exploring Olympic National Park instead of FLAPS.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Could be a defective cap. Or.....Excessive end play (up and down) in the distributor shaft? Is the rotor pushed all the way on?
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Could be a defective cap. Or.....Excessive end play (up and down) in the distributor shaft? Is the rotor pushed all the way on?

Well, it is now. I’m pretty sure the old one was as well because I had to buy a different rotor that actually did seat all the way down.

Somewhat related, what do people see as typical service interval for spark plugs. I’ve seen answers differ by tens of thousands of miles.
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

What brand was it?
I only install Bosch parts.
I've encountered the same thing on a customer's van that had a Napa part ( black rotor), no continuity between the center of the rotor to the edge contact. The brass contact must have cracked under the resin.
The light beige stuff is garbage too, I dunno the brand.

Tell me about it, I work full time on Vanagons exclusively. All garbage.
Recent rant, I had a fuel filler grommet split in 4 months, sold by GoWesty ( JP GROUP brand). BusLab sells the vitton model. After posting it on IG stories, many people came forward saying the same happened to them.
I took an old 35 years old grommet out of my drawer, cleaned it and fixed it like that, and I'm confident about it!
I keep all old seals that look good, now I'm getting them back in service bc I saw that shit coming a long time ago.

Today my starter relay took a shit too. I had continuity AND 12Vdc at the solenoid, tested with a multimeter. I swapped the relay with a 30 years old Hella/VW relay, problem solved. I gutted the old Chinese sealed relay and dropped in the German unit.

Every god damn day is like that. Until suppliers put pressure on their own suppliers, shit won't change. It's all about profit and keeping economic growth. That's not sustainable, and we're on the wrong end of the stick, sitting on it lengthwise.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Igeo wrote:

Well, it is now. I’m pretty sure the old one was as well because I had to buy a different rotor that actually did seat all the way down.

Somewhat related, what do people see as typical service interval for spark plugs. I’ve seen answers differ by tens of thousands of miles.

I did about 30k miles on a set of original spark plugs, cap, rotors and wires new from 1984, but 10 to 15k is recommended.
Stuff was still working fine. You can actually clean the contacts in the cap and on the rotor and double their life easily.
My old 1984 wires still checked ok ( you can take them apart to inspect contacts too). Parts we're sold separately back then.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

New parts have gone downhill lately... I don't have a distributor any longer (Megasquirt EFI, thats another story) but the coil pack I'm using has only been on my engine 9 months. Bought it brand new. Failed on me last week. Its the newest part ON my rig, and it was the first to go!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

I view the cap and rotor as long life items, on my 91 the rotor was actually glued to the shaft from the factory likely to discourage people from changing it, the original plugs were also good for 60+ thousand miles. I think I had 80K on mine when I first changed them out and they still looked better than many of the replacements do at 5-10K miles.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

I had that same problem with a distributor cap back in the 80s...

it's a thing it happens sometimes..

and now you'll always check for spark in a linear fashion...

no spark at the plug?
but yes spark from the coil...
check cap/rotor/wires
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JudoJeff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Counterfeit parts on eBay don’t help either. Bostigs use Ford Motorcraft parts, and most are Chinese fakes. You have to purchase from a Ford dealership to get genuine parts.

Bosch used to be a solid manufacturer, now they farm stuff out to who knows where. Junkyards provide better parts, I especially love the oldest vehicles!
1986 Vanagon GL Westfalia Camper, Bostig Sold May 10, 2021
1999 Ford GTRV Westfalia camper (30% bigger Westy layout)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

If the car won't start, it's not the spark plugs, fuel injectors, or plug wires. Think of the cosmic seance required to make four completely independent parts all go bad at the same time. Wink

If the van runs rough, absolutely suspect ONE of the four… If the car won't start, think immediately of single things that affect the whole engine. Ground plugs, ignition switch, vacuum leaks, etc.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

vegpedlr wrote:
Igeo wrote:

Well OK, I guess we can blame the cap, but I'd wager half the time the new part is blamed as defective, it was actually the installation that was the problem.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
vegpedlr wrote:
Igeo wrote:

Well OK, I guess we can blame the cap, but I'd wager half the time the new part is blamed as defective, it was actually the installation that was the problem.

And half the time a new part “solves” an electrical problem, it’s usually the unplugging and plugging it back in that cures the corrosion issue. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cellerdoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

I have proactively replaced a lot of parts on my van, and the distributor should get some attention, but I'm terrified of new parts.

At some point not doing this will bite me in the ass
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

cellerdoor wrote:
I have proactively replaced a lot of parts on my van, and the distributor should get some attention, but I'm terrified of new parts.

At some point not doing this will bite me in the ass

By a new one and keep it under the rear seat for emergency use... hopefully it will last long enough to get you home. Cool

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

For what it’s worth, parts.vw.com shows you can get an actual VW cap for about $35.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Nothing specific to Vanagon parts, or all VW parts, or all auto parts... or anything.

Go by a Delta faucet, a Yale door lock or even a GE appliance at Home Depot and you're getting an inferior item made to sell at a low price point.

You can buy an aftermarket 009 distributor for $37.50. And that's with tune up parts.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Previous owner of my '91 Syncro had engine rebuilt to a 2.3 L. Mechanic used what looks like Porsche rocker arms that had a separate "elephant foot" end so was not all one piece. Well, that must have cracked apart and fallen into the engine and got ground up - as evidenced by the shiny oil once investigated.

Put on some standard rocker arms from a donor. Firggin' engine purrs now.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
Previous owner of my '91 Syncro had engine rebuilt to a 2.3 L. Mechanic used what looks like Porsche rocker arms that had a separate "elephant foot" end so was not all one piece. Well, that must have cracked apart and fallen into the engine and got ground up - as evidenced by the shiny oil once investigated.

there's a few ways the mechanic could have gone wrong but the elephant foot rockers available in the US are 8mm thread, stock Vanagon is 10mm. so he COULD have put in new high ratio rockers but failed to undercut the chin of the rocker, allowing the elephant foot to contact it and break it over time. or the rocker geometry could have been setup wrong. or the foot could have just failed but many people, including myself, have lots of miles with them without issue. i know i set mine up correctly.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
the joker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

greed my friends Evil or Very Mad runs the world, try to find NOS in europe it's out there
found new nos halls unit from Italian dealership buy out, just have to search hard
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: New Parts Are the WORST Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
Klister wrote:

there's a few ways the mechanic could have gone wrong but the elephant foot rockers available in the US are 8mm thread, stock Vanagon is 10mm. so he COULD have put in new high ratio rockers but failed to undercut the chin of the rocker, allowing the elephant foot to contact it and break it over time. or the rocker geometry could have been setup wrong. or the foot could have just failed but many people, including myself, have lots of miles with them without issue. i know i set mine up correctly.

Point taken - yep
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: