Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:24 am    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
There was a thin plastic ring that fit over that , it was about 3/32" tall and a wall thickness of 1/32" and it sat flush with the top of that upper shaft boss.

What is it? My only guess since it only meets the weights it acts as a stop or spacer that the weights rest on when they are fully at rest.

That and protection. It could be a stop to prevent the weights from moving too far back. If you want a used one I can find you one that you can have. I don't reuse those pieces as I have new ones.

Here's a picture for you of my new ones:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
blues90 wrote:
There was a thin plastic ring that fit over that , it was about 3/32" tall and a wall thickness of 1/32" and it sat flush with the top of that upper shaft boss.

What is it? My only guess since it only meets the weights it acts as a stop or spacer that the weights rest on when they are fully at rest.

That and protection. It could be a stop to prevent the weights from moving too far back. If you want a used one I can find you one that you can have. I don't reuse those pieces as I have new ones.

Here's a picture for you of my new ones:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

On both there were still there , one was missing part of the edge section and split the other was just split so I used gorilla super glue gel in 4 spots to secure it to the shaft. Not the best solution other than to make one from nylon tube I have. I'll figure out something. No point in using an old one. I doubt the old one I used will go anywhere since both were still there and lived. I just don't want to find out the hard way.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

If you need some let me know. I had a pile of the used ones at some time. If you can find a clear one that is best as those are newer. The yellower and the darker the plastic the older and more stress it has been under.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

heimlich wrote:
If you need some let me know. I had a pile of the used ones at some time. If you can find a clear one that is best as those are newer. The yellower and the darker the plastic the older and more stress it has been under.

The one I have is dark brown and has to be the original one from 1973. If you have time and find maybe 2 that are good that would work.

I have a nylon washer that I need to turn down for the OD and drill out for the ID . I also have black plastic HO wheels that are very close yet I don't know if they are delrin or not. I doubt the dist gets that hot , the cover I bought don't know what that's made of.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I have read when members rebuild their old Type 3 FI dist they reference only the position of the upper shaft in relation to the light and heavy spring as well as marking the drive dog position.

It reads like this. the thin spring to the large hole and heavy spring to the large hole , the holes are in the advance cam part where the points cam is part of.

I have two units that I know were never apart and found that there are 2 ways the lower shaft can be positioned. If you do it wrong then the trigger point cam is off. I noticed looking at the trigger cam one lobe is centered and the other is a bit more off center.

I don't know how much affect getting it wrong would cause running wise yet I do feel Bosch did this for a reason. I marked mine well , yet I did notice the difference. I would have to look but if I recall the plate that the weight pins and trigger cam is fixed to I know one side has a square hole in that plate and that is the side the the heavy spring sits. If you look at the trigger cam that's the side the one longer weight pin fits in the trigger cam. \\ As I said I have to look. yet there is a difference.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

blues90 wrote:
I have read when members rebuild their old Type 3 FI dist they reference only the position of the upper shaft in relation to the light and heavy spring as well as marking the drive dog position.

It reads like this. the thin spring to the large hole and heavy spring to the large hole , the holes are in the advance cam part where the points cam is part of.

I have two units that I know were never apart and found that there are 2 ways the lower shaft can be positioned. If you do it wrong then the trigger point cam is off. I noticed looking at the trigger cam one lobe is centered and the other is a bit more off center.

I don't know how much affect getting it wrong would cause running wise yet I do feel Bosch did this for a reason. I marked mine well , yet I did notice the difference. I would have to look but if I recall the plate that the weight pins and trigger cam is fixed to I know one side has a square hole in that plate and that is the side the the heavy spring sits. If you look at the trigger cam that's the side the one longer weight pin fits in the trigger cam. \\ As I said I have to look. yet there is a difference.

Just so you now....there is only one cam lobe on the trigger point cam. So yes....one "side" is low and one is high. Both low and high are ~ 180* of distributor rotation.

The injectors fire when the points are opened (the high side). The duration of 180* is just an injection window. Depending on what the MPS and TS1, TS-2 and rpm tell the ECU...the injection duration might occupy the whole 180* or less.

This factor is also why there is an rpm limit for D-jet. After a certain rpm is attained, there is just no more time/ duration within which to inject more.

Yes....flipping the points cam to the opposite side will throw off the timing but it should not matter really. Since its based around 180*...it just means the opposite pair oc cylinders will fire on the identical closed valve point and the other two will fire on open valves. Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
blues90 wrote:

Just so you now....there is only one cam lobe on the trigger point cam. So yes....one "side" is low and one is high. Both low and high are ~ 180* of distributor rotation.

The injectors fire when the points are opened (the high side). The duration of 180* is just an injection window. Depending on what the MPS and TS1, TS-2 and rpm tell the ECU...the injection duration might occupy the whole 180* or less.

This factor is also why there is an rpm limit for D-jet. After a certain rpm is attained, there is just no more time/ duration within which to inject more.

Yes....flipping the points cam to the opposite side will throw off the timing but it should not matter really. Since its based around 180*...it just means the opposite pair oc cylinders will fire on the identical closed valve point and the other two will fire on open valves. Ray

I didn't notice one lobe was higher than the other. I need to look , all I did notice is one was centered with the weight plate and the other was either more to the left or right , don't recall.

However what you are saying is flipping the points cam would have the same affect as swapping the trigger points # 21 and # 22 wires in the plug.

Before I say anything misleading I need to see how that affects the way the ECU reads this , also the relation to the points cam because it seems to me you would want the spark firing order to be in line with which 2 cylinders have the fuel dose.

I didn't check the position on the AH I rebuilt and when I had the AF in the car I didn't notice any difference unless by shear luck I did the AH the way the factory did it. I don't know. \
In the Bentley fuel system page 19 I see the rotor on cyl #1 and #21 trigger point open if that means anything.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2022 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I was sent 4 FI distributors by another member. Thank you.

One is an AG like I have for a 73 manual trans. The other ones are two 71 AC manual , a 70 AB manual trans. On the 70 and 71 I can see the trigger cam is clocked differently in relation to the drive dog pin.

I'm sure the early ones since the trigger cam is clocked way different may not be the best idea to use them , not sure.

Point is one AC has good weight pins yet I have no idea how to get them out . The ones in the AG are in better shape than the AG I cleaned up yet still have slight wear.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I assume it's some trade secrete how to get the old pins out. I don't want to remove the trigger cam so I am thinking of making a puller that grabs the pin groove made out if some 1/4"x 1/4" steel bar stock I have then drill and tap 2 holes to install 2 hex head bolts to use to pull the pins out.

I didn't see any per made puller to do this . The only other way is to remove the cam which is not what I want to do because this may create more issues.
blues90
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 FI type 3 dist parts. Not looking for parts here . Thought's Reply with quote

I have two 265 cans trouble is the hole spacing is to close together to use on an AH or AG . I would need to slot the two holes and even then it would just make it.

One holds vacuum and does not leak down the other does hold 5 Hg as do the two 505 i have . None are blown they do hold yet drop to 5 Hg vacuum. I can't blow through any of them so that tells me they are not ruptured. Perhaps the diaphragm is just stretched. I did find a better plastic ring for the advance shaft and installed that.

Basically I have the entire dist back together even with slightly worn weight pivot pins. It's just a spare so I can remove the AH I rebuilt in 2009 and see if every thing is still in good shape , it only has around 2,000 miles on it at best.

I found 4 capacitors only 2 read 25MF , one is some junk I bought in 2019 that does not fit . the other is also marked 25MF and reads correct , some no name one. It's round hole is far to loose in the dist hole so I used a Bosch one I had that read far to low and used that wire and on the other capacitor so at least it fits. Just cut at the cap and spliced /solder and heat shrink. Until I can buy a better Bosch one that fits.

I'm done posting on this topic FWIW.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: