Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheOneTrueQuux
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

EuroTec wrote:
Abscate wrote:
You could compact that with a bank of 90 ohm resistors, 0.5 wattpower rating would be well overrated.

Bad beer rots our young guts but vodka goes well get some now.

I tried large high watt power resistors, aluminum housing to dissipate heat. Some stay powered all the time. They get VERY (like 350F +) HOT!!!

So, relays. Built to stay on for long periods of time and they get slightly warm.

So, relay coils are not strictly resistive. They have inductance, which changes when they pull in, and they are fine gauge wire, which functionally means once the coil pulls in, the actual load is less than a static measurement of the coil resistance would lead you to believe. Try measuring the current through an activated relay, chances are you'll find the resistor you need to match that current is more like 100-200 ohms, and a 2-5W power resistor would do the job.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

TheOneTrueQuux wrote:

So, relay coils are not strictly resistive. They have inductance, which changes when they pull in, and they are fine gauge wire, which functionally means once the coil pulls in, the actual load is less than a static measurement of the coil resistance would lead you to believe. Try measuring the current through an activated relay, chances are you'll find the resistor you need to match that current is more like 100-200 ohms, and a 2-5W power resistor would do the job.

May have to check that out. My approach was to simply duplicate what was in the transmission. A solenoid inductive coil that measured 77 ohms. The relays at 88 ohms work ok to do just that, for now. Wink
richjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Any chance you are interested in making and selling these? We would buy one! Been failing to figure out this problem for a year now.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

richjc wrote:
Any chance you are interested in making and selling these? We would buy one! Been failing to figure out this problem for a year now.

Yes! Working on a "plug and play" box.

Ideally, you would just plug it into the transmission harness in the place of the transmission itself. One plug each for, solenoids, trans fluid temp sensor, vehicle speed sensor, trans speed sensor and multi-function switch. Five total. Once installed clear all codes with VAG tool. Done. No more CEL for trans issues.

The trick is finding a blank female mate to the transmission solenoid connector that plugs into the top part of the pan with a 11 pin round connector. If I can find something like that, I can put it all in one box. Otherwise, it will be on the installer to cut and splice the wires into the relay pack.

The other connectors I have handled.

Onward....
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I found a solution to the trans connector and I have ordered all the parts I need to turn this into a plug and play kit! Cool
richjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Amazing! We would love to buy one. I’ll PM you.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I designed and 3D printed and enclosure then assembled the first prototype of the Transmission Emulator. I'll install it on my van for final testing and I should have it available as a kit within a couple weeks. Very Happy

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

obieoberstar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

that is some great work right there. Bravo!! It's all about Science!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
YOGIVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I'd be very interested in buing a kit. Please keep us updated
Thanks
Westfalia James Cook 2.9TD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

My prototype transmission emulator is installed and doing well so far. Cool

As it turns out, as you can see the black and brown plugs can go on either connector. I discovered that they don't need a resistor after all. Each connector has two wires and they simply get connected to each other Plugging them in does just that with a jumper wire instead of a resistor.

Two days of driving with no codes, and I don't expect any. Very pleased!

I'll be ordering up some parts and building kits to sell soon. When they're ready to I'll post a link with info on buying one.

Unit01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2022 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Good good that thing is beautiful! Does your supplier still have manual transmissions in stock?
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Unit01 wrote:
Good good that thing is beautiful! Does your supplier still have manual transmissions in stock?

Call Thomas at Quality German Parts and get on the waiting list.

http://www.qualitygermanautoparts.com
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

I finally got around to posting a page on my website where you can get the transmission emulator that I've built.

http://hackaweek.com/hacks/vw-eurovan-transmission-emulator-eliminate-cel/

...and uploaded a YouTube video.

Link

obnoxiousblue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

When you bought the transmission, where did you source the pedal assembly and all the other required parts to install and operate it?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2022 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

obnoxiousblue wrote:
When you bought the transmission, where did you source the pedal assembly and all the other required parts to install and operate it?

I got it all from Quality German Auto Parts in CA. Ran about $5K

This is what I got in the "kit" he put together for me.

Transmission
Used clutch and flywheel which I installed
Used slave cylinder (I installed a new one just because)
Pedal assembly with clutch master cylinder and hydraulic line
Shift lever and linkage
Right side stub axle and mount
Left and right axle assemblies
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

OMG Thank you. I'm in the middle of this swap after a 2 year wait and have never been so happy that a project got delayed.

Have you tried larger value resistors in place of the relays? A 1k resistor would cut the amount of power being dissipated 10x (so a 1/2W resistor would work) but may still move enough current to make the TCU happy.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

paddygarcia wrote:
OMG Thank you. I'm in the middle of this swap after a 2 year wait and have never been so happy that a project got delayed.

Have you tried larger value resistors in place of the relays? A 1k resistor would cut the amount of power being dissipated 10x (so a 1/2W resistor would work) but may still move enough current to make the TCU happy.

They get waaaaay too hot! Tried several power resistors with heat sinks even. Hot hot hot!
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Have you tried resistors with a higher resistance? so 1k instead of 100 ohm. Power dissipation in a resistor is v^2/r, so for the same voltage the 1k will only need to dissipate 1/10 the heat of the 100 ohm.
EuroTec
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Too high an ohm value and it throws a code. Relays are about 80 ohm. Higher seems to not work.
paddygarcia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: 2003 Eurovan MV VR6 24V manual swap notes Reply with quote

Outstanding work, thanks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: