Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey everyone,
Though not a visual update, I do have a few thing getting ready to happen to the beetle this late summer/fall.
I'm currently in Germany with the Army but it's given me an opportunity to start slowly parts gathering. After some more consultation with the transmission guys that I know, it sounds like the reverse gear is gone entirely.
But that's given way to some new work I'll be doing. I've ordered a new shifter bushing and coupling. It occurred to me in the 14 years I've been messing with this thing that I've never replaced either of those components. With the engine being out, I figured I might as well give it a bit of love too. The clutch that's in it is starting to chatter and the throw out bearing was rumbling subtly so I habe a new Sachs kit waiting. I also got a German engine gasket kit and will take a peak at the intake boots as well as the oiler cooler seals and rear main seal too. I also went ahead and got new CV's since my old ones were cheap and the boots were slowly but surely dry rotting.
Last but not least I got into contact with a local Transmission builder who has a good reputation and will be picking up the final piece to the project, the transaxle, once I get home.
As all projects, I'm aiming to get it all knocked out in a long weekend but we'll see if the old car has any different plans.
For now, my wife drives it to and from work, making sure she gets into a spot where she doesn't have to go backwards but the old bug is still alive and well!
Until then, I hope to enjoy Germany and the Hessisch Oldendorf show if I'm able to attend!
1973 Standard Beetle
1969 Cessna 172K Airplane
1959 Karmann Ghia
US Army CH-47 Chinook Helicopter Repairer
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 13, 2022 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Well the time has finally come.
I came back from Germany early Tuesday morning and have spent the last few days relaxing and getting back in to a routine. Well today felt right to be the day that I started messing with the transmission I'd bought sight-unseen while I was over in Germany. After some talking with the guys I typically work with for parts, they said it may be worth the gamble of picking up a used transmission given they're relatively sturdy.
Knowing mine lost reverse, I'm skeptical, but hey, that's half the fun of owning these things and I'm still quite a ways away from a proper restoration. So long story long, my wife picked up this late model transmission for me and as stated before, I got a ton of other goodies for it in anticipation of yanking out the engine and being able to get to everything.
I gave it a good thorough clean-up and checked it all over, unfortunately my 1/2" drive ratchet is broken so I wasn't able to get to doing a fluid change today, but I was able to clean it up and prepare it for it's new place in my car.
I'll post photos of the other goodies I bought as I get around to unboxing them, but in the meantime, here are the results from a couple hours of scrubbing this thing in the Texas sun.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

A consequence of buying something put of haste-
While I was cleaning the transaxle up, and even beforehand, I noticed it had a different forward mount, two sets of electrical connectors on the nose cone as well as the hockey stick was "upside down." I sent a few photos to a buddy of mine who rebuilds transaxle for both stock and racing applications and turns out, it's a Type 3 transaxle.
I felt like an idiot for not knowing. Luckily he reassured me that with swapping the nose cone, hockey stick and forward mount, it'd fit in my beetle just fine!
Yet another another thing learned. But without learning, this thread wouldn't be approaching its 13th year and this car wouldn't be my daily driver at 49 years old.

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Round 2 with the type 3 transaxle! Removed, cleaned, inspected, lubed and reinstalled the throwout arm, inspected the input shaft seal, fully installed the guide cone for the throwout bearing, and also went ahead and serviced it too with some fresh GL-5 80w-90 gear oil (I forgot how much that shit stinks!) Final step will be the nosecone and hockey stick swap, but that won't happen until I have the old transaxle out. Here in the next week, fingers crossed, the new transaxle will be in and I'll be able to go backwards again!
I took the beetle on its first "long" drive yesterday (40 miles total round trip) and it performed flawlessly. I also failed to mention I installed a new idle cutoff solenoid last week after I got home. But after checking the valves, point gap, timing and carb, Ken the beetle is right back to where it should be and we are cruising again!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Tomorrow is the big gamble! These are all the parts I've put together for the replacement of the transmission and tomorrow my best friend and I will be doing the swap! Fingers crossed this transmission not only has all four of its forward gears, but it's reverse too! First time in a long time doing a lot of major work to the beetle, however I'm extremely excited to start up again and get into it.
More photos to follow the process and maybe a video of everything coming together!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Well, didn't manage to finish everything today due to the shop's time constrains, however, though not pictured; we managed to get the engine back in and reassembled and only had to replace the shifting coupler and fish the accelerator cable back through the fan shroud and it would have been ready for it's maiden voyage with the unknown transmission. We did replace the axles, convert the Type 3 (Squareback) transmission to Type 1 (Beetle) replaced the clutch, various soft lines, and got everything in and out within a day. Disappointing, but we will wrap it up tomorrow and see how everything turned out!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Buenos Diaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Lookin’ good!
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Completing the same tasks.

Keep it up

Looking Great 👍👍👍
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey, thanks everyone!
Well, mission success and mission "failure" today. On one hand, the beetle shifts like a dream, the new clutch did a world of good and having all new axles, bearings and everything the rear, it honestly feels like a new car. On the down side, mechanically, we weren't able to get the bug into reverse, it feels like the shifter won't push down for enough to engage where it needs to, so more to follow with that. But the beetle is happily back home where it should be and drove like a charm getting back here, just didn't remedy the first issue 🥲...The joys of owning a 50 year old car.

So on the more technical side of things, again with time constraints, I didn't take too many photos but today's agenda included:
Replacing the shifter bushing (what an absolute nightmare) replacing the shifting coupler, and we had to pull the alternator to get the accelerator cable and guide fed through the shroud again.
As mentioned before, I replaced the clutch too just to ensure everything I had easy access too was new and in good order.
So after buttoning everything up and doing the shift plate adjustment, yes the reverse lock out is in the proper place, it feels that when the car is in neutral, the shifter "pulls" to the passenger side and I have to be a lot more deliberate to be able to shift into 1st and 2nd, perhaps that's just all the new components, I'm not sure. Also it doesn't feel like I'm able to push down on the shifter to be able to engage reverse. When it did feel like it pushed down enough, it would still go into 2nd gear. Maybe I just need a better adjustment but hopefully some of you guys have more insight and know how to ease the woe that began this entire adventure.
All and all, the beetle shifted perfectly on the way home, it's much quieter and the new clutch did a world of difference on something I didn't think was too worn to begin with. It's like driving a whole new car, that unfortunately still won't go in reverse. Thanks for reading the long rant, here are the photos from today.
Cheers!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Alrighty everyone, still having problems even trying to get the car to go in reverse.
I failed to mention previous that I do have a 20% short throw shifter installed.
Shifter bushing is new, coupler is new and measured up against the old cage, they're the same size.
The four forward gears are great, shifter is straight up and down in neutral, adjusted the shifter plate using the "Push into 1st and 2nd with the plate loose-ish and then tighten down and check you can hit all the gears." I even went so far as to loosen the assembly and try to find reverse and still no luck.
The best way to describe it is in doesn't feel like I can push down on the shifter enough to get it to engage reverse. Every time I felt like
had it, I'd fire up the car, let off the clutch and I'd roll forward. Any ideas?

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

*UPDATE
After reading through A LOT of various threads, I noticed a suggestion that said to flip the reverse lock-out plate the wrong way (the long "ramp" to the drivers side) for a short throw kit and I figured, why not? Nothing else seems to be doing the trick and for 10 seconds of work, who knows? And viola, it worked. Reverse stays put, it doesn't grind while down shifting unto second and all 5 gears are now all easily found. I don't know if this is a one off thing that has only worked a handful of time, however I am extremely pleased that my car goes backwards again. So I celebrated by cleaning the engine and giving it a good soapy bath to get rid of all the handprints from working on it.

Link

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Buenos Diaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Awesome, congrats!
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Buenos Diaz wrote:
Awesome, congrats!

Thank you! After having the car in the family for almost 25 years and as this thread shows its age, I'm still learning to work on my car and still finding myself getting stumped. A lot of the veterans give excellent advice, though from time to time may raise an eyebrow, it goes to show that giving their advice a try, if for not just pure curiosity, can yield the results you're looking for. For the first time in a long time, my beetle is in near peak condition thanks to the help of countless people on this forum!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

As is with any classic VW adventure, the fun didn't stop with the transaxle replacement.
After getting everything squared away, I went to take the beetle to the grocery store and it refused to start. I had recently replaced the plug wires since one of them has been rotted through (Thanks Texas weather) despite having been "newer."
Still there was no avail, it sounded like it was trying to fire on a single cylinder. So after a quick phone call, I replaced my points with the spare set I had and it was running like a top after getting the timing dialed in again.
After a quick run around the block, I went to leave the neighborhood when it suddenly died on me again, it was firing but extremely poorly. After pulling over I discovered my points, Bosch, had the rivet fail that held the rubbing block in place and it was no longer opening the points up.
Luckily I had the old set with me and about a postage stamps worth of sand paper and was able to sand the old points enough to where they worked well enough to get me home. Needless to say after the fun venture of being stranded on the side of the road in the Texas sun, I now have a new set and am ready for the next couple thousand miles.
The car sitting for nine months while I was with the Army in Germany didn't do the car any favors and I should have been more careful then to assume all was well with the ignition parts, but we are cruising again and the beetle is happy.
This definitely has been an adventure and with my leave ending next week, I'm hoping there are no more surprises waiting to rear their ugly heads since this is my daily. But for now thats those are the big updates on the beetle. We are quickly nearing the 25 year mark in the family and I'm looking forward to getting out of the military and starting an honest restoration and getting this poor car into good shape again asthetically and mechanically so it can cruise for another 50 years.
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

In the spirit of getting the beetle into peak mechanical shape, I took it to go get an alignment after a wobbly steering wheel had me concerned. A good friend and former neighbor of mine works at a local shop and confirmed I'm if fact far over due for an alignment. When he went to loosen the tie rod ends, they were seized in the tie rods pretty good, even with the help of penetrating oil and heat, they didn't want to move. So I figured it was long over due for a new front end. While I was there, I also noticed the ball joint boots were torn or on the verge of being torn too. So I went ahead and ordered two brand new tie rods, four new bilstein ball joints, new sway bar mounts since mine were dry rotted and loose, a new steering dampner and finally, four brand new Nexen tires. Now having a tight shifter for the first time, I'm excited to have a tight and refreshed new front end. Just in time to take the car to a big VW show in Austin in the following weeks!

The ball joints and RH tie rod won't be here until next week and my passenger side bezel cracked and was falling apart so I got one of those too.
Enjoy!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Just waiting on the RH tie rod to come in now! Got the new ball joints in un expectedly today and am anxious to get the front end all replaced and aligned so I can cruise again without worry! It's been a long time since I've had a tightened up front end all all the new parts should work wonders! Once everything is replaced, we should be 100% mechanically sound! Looking forward to later on in the week when I get the beetle to the shop!

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Picture heavy update!

Today wound up being the day I was able to get everything replaced! Once we got the tie rods out, I was extremely glad I bought a new steering dampner, the old one had failed and was leaking pretty severely. The ball joints, especially the uppers were also all toast too, all were very loose, enough to the point where gravity on one of them would move the ball joint around in it's socket. I have a video of it but need to upload it to YouTube before posting it on here. The tie rod boots were all fine, the ends were seized in place though and needed replacing regardless. That with all four new tires and an alignment, the car drives 100x different and better.
I am beyond happy with thr results, took it on a test drive after the fact and took it around some of the corners that were giving me the death wobble and it's completely gone. Coupled with the new tires, it's also extremely quiet now too. It drove like a dream and I can't wait to take it to the VW Harvest in Austin on the 16th, worry free.
The front end was surprisingly easy to take apart and replace too. Having never done it before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect and everything went smoothly. We check and doubled checked everything and I can say without a doubt it was all well done.
Enjoy the pictures!

https://youtube.com/shorts/e1RB4ZPch8o?feature=share
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
alex857
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Great woirk along with a good amount of passion, well done!

These clamps should normally be mounted the other way (opening to the bottom), but they might be fix and firm enough this way too (didnīt know it was even possible to mount them like that, they are always horrible to install):
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

alex857 wrote:
Great woirk along with a good amount of passion, well done!

These clamps should normally be mounted the other way (opening to the bottom), but they might be fix and firm enough this way too (didnīt know it was even possible to mount them like that, they are always horrible to install):

Thank you! The old ones were mounted the correct way, the contour of these when I received them were to the rubber bushings and when I went to install them on the trailing arm, they didn't even pretend to fit, I will correct it here shortly. I'm just happy that the sway bar is firmly mounted again after barely hanging on with the old bushings.
I learned a lot yesterday, rebuilding/replacing a front end yesterday and I've always come back here because the knowledge here is second to none.
The past two months have been a lot of work but it's been extremely rewarding getting the car back to good health again and being able to record and show it step by step!
1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
PatterBon
Samba Engine Connoisseur

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Getting the ball rolling '73 Standard - It's Alive!! Reply with quote

Hey guys, not a progress update post, but a milestone none the less.
Here's a quick summary of the past 25 years.

Today officially marks the beetle being part of my family for 25 years. December 21, 1997, my dad bought Ken the beetle from a family in Seattle for $700. He used it as a commuter and as a grocery getter around our small, quiet town in Washington, rarely having to take it on the freeway over in Seattle. Ken was manufactured in January of 1973, so today also officially marks that he's been in the family for more than half the time he's been around since bring manufactured.

As this thread has grown over the past almost 14 years, I started it before I had my driver's license even, you've been able to watch all of the ups and downs, the trials and tribulations, the dumb mistakes and the breakthroughs I've had since really taking working on the car seriously. Sometimes it's both cringy and nostalgic, going back and reading some of my old posts, remembering where the car came from.

The engine was rebuilt for good in February of 2010, making him a daily driver from that point forward, obviously with hiccups and a bit of sitting on occasion, but more or less a reliable daily for going on 13 years now.

I joined the military in November of 2013, graduated from Advanced Individual Training in June of 2014 with my sights set on Colorado as my first duty station. I saddled up the bug and drove over 1,600 miles down to Colorado Springs. We drove through Washington, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming and eventually did find ourselves almost halfway across the U.S. down 8n Colorado. For almost four years, that car faithfully drove me around in every weather condition possible. It drove me and my wife from our wedding, took us all over the state and without much problem.

Then in 2018, I set off for a year in South Korea, leaving the beetle with a loved and trusted friend, who continued driving him 112 miles round trip daily from Pueblo, CO up to Denver and back.
Coming home in 2019, he has been dropped up in Lubbock, TX, where I picked him up to continue our adventures until today.

I cannot express my gratitude for all the help and encouragement all of you have given me over the past almost 14 years on this thread. Progress has slowed a bit, but the love and passion for the car hasn't. Without all of you, hope would have been abandoned on this car and today wouldn't have been a milestone at all. I'm far from being done with the car, but Here's to 25 years down and another 25 years of adventures to go!

Me and my earliest picture with the beetle. Sometime in either 1998 or 1999.

September 2008

August 2022

1973 Standard Beetle
1959 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 118, 119, 120  Next
Jump to:
Page 119 of 120

Jump to: