Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
J Peace
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

In the process of purchasing a 69 Bay Window Westie and currently own a Bay Window 74 T2. The new pretty lady "Moira Rose" will need a complete gut of the interior due to a mold problem.

I'm looking for a shop that does full interior restoration. She also has a pretty big ding on the rear panel on the driver's side so a body shop in the area would be a bonus.

Focused on the NorthEast, as I'm in MA.

Thanks for the suggestions, and for those who have done a total restoration, I'd love to see your before & after pics.

For anyone who's dealt with interior mold would love your stories!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:30 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

what is the budget? $40K - $50K?

Just a guess 250 - 300 hours x $125 - $150/hr plus materials? 250 hours is just six weeks to do the interior and exterior, when these projects can take far more than that. 300 hours allows 7 1/2 weeks.

250 x $125 = $31,250 plus materials.
300 x $150 = $45,000 plus materials

I think 10 years ago someone told me that it cost them $65,000 to completely go thru their westfalia and restore it - and they did much of the labor. That included maybe $20K in the engine and brakes etc.. That was with prices 10 year ago.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
what is the budget? $40K - $50K?

Yes and it will be worth $25k when done.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

I have a customer who wants to sell her 1971 tin top camper for $45000. West coast bus. New engine and transmission.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
I have a customer who wants to sell her 1971 tin top camper for $45000. West coast bus. New engine and transmission.

let us know if she gets that. Inflation may be up but disposable income and the stock market are down, so are real estate prices but not as much - yet. The digital currencies aren't going from $1000 to $60,000 like they were a few years back, so people aren't tossing money around right now.
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

Yeah, I can’t understand how my neighbors are spending money on landscaping their yards. As far as classic cars goes, I’m thinking some people are taking paper money and exchanging it for art and cars.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

The market is up out here in the country, cause everyone is leaving the city’s. Just to move to a new place and make them just like where they came from. 🙄

Op, go to Home Depot and buy the best mask you can buy. Then get in the bus and gut it yourself. After that pressure wash it and move on. It ain’t that hard…
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build

Last edited by richparker on Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

and, rich’s thread about peryl, his ‘71 is a great example of a workable option to “full restoration.”
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

J Peace wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions, and for those who have done a total restoration, I'd love to see your before & after pics.

before:

after:

what's missing is the 4 30 yard dump truck loads of cash to make it to the "after" photos

I estimate that dent in the rear to be an ez 6-9k to fix and get it into primer only. 60+ hours at 100.00+/hr plus materials

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

I'd start on the mold with several cans of lysol spray.
Mold needs moisture and a food source. Get rid of the moisture first, as there is always a food source.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
J Peace wrote:

before:

after:

what's missing is the 4 30 yard dump truck loads of cash to make it to the "after" photos

I estimate that dent in the rear to be an ez 6-9k to fix and get it into primer only. 60+ hours at 100.00+/hr plus materials

Skills’ rig is obviously top notch.

But, there’s a difference between preservation and restoration. Not all Buses need a restoration, Simply because not all of us can’t afford that. I have two ACVW‘s, both are preserved and not restored… It doesn’t need to be perfect to enjoy it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:12 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

A good N95 mask and full body painter's suit, a power washer, bleach, degreaser, vinegar and dawn soap will take care of that interior in a few weekend.

The rear quarter damage can be fixed for a few thousand dollars.

This bus is the wrong one to start with but it's your money.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

bleach baby, bleach baby, give me a hand ..

A Lincoln welder and a bucket of sand..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:47 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

joey1320 wrote:

The rear quarter damage can be fixed for a few thousand dollars.

DIY perhaps, but no fucking way if they are bringing it to a shop

joey1320 wrote:

This bus is the wrong one to start with but it's your money.

looks to be an original paint survivor with very little rust. the 1/4 panel isn't a big deal and if that's the worst of it, i'd fix the bus too

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
The market is up out here in the country, cause everyone is leaving the city’s. Just to move to a new place and make them just like where they came from. 🙄

Op, go to Home Depot and buy the best mask you can buy. Then get in the bus and gut it yourself. After that pressure wash it and move on. It ain’t that hard…

And quite a few are people who fled the area years ago returning to the fold. And making the old stomping grounds just like where they came back from. Rolling Eyes
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

OP is MIA since asking the question
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

Things can look worse than they are, I fixed this in one day + painting.

Nowhere near as bad as the OP's bus admittedly and yeah, it's not perfect.
But as you're all kind of pointing out, there's a top price for these vehicles - this one would never be in that category but it was well used and loved all the same. The owner was quite lucky in a way, getting his bus fixed up on insurance - he only had it back for 1 week after a smash repair on the opposite corner door, arch side panel and rear arch. By the time I'd done we'd painted right around the lower half. Laughing
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

As others have already said, you better have deep pockets if your expecting a shop to do this kind of work. and if you think your gonna save money doing it yourself, then dont plan on operating it any time soon.

What you show is only pics of what you can see. as I will show in my pics, once you see the mold, you can expect it to be everywhere you cant see too.

To be safe, the entire interior needs to come out. Not something most people are willing to hear or do. All cushions need to be un-uphostlstered and foam replaced(if mold got to it-as it did ours). do what you want, im not gonna tell someone else how to live, but live with the consequences.

as you can see, my entire interior was covered with mold. each piece was disassembled, stripped and/or cleaned/replaced and then restained if needed and reassembled.

oddly enough, I dont have any current inside pics to show. will try to get one later.

point being is, you asked who and how others have dealt with this problem. unfortunately, theres no easy solution. do it, pay to have it done, or pay to have one that is already done. good luck.

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

I’m sneezing just looking at that…..
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: East Coast Restoration Shop - 69 Bay Window Westie - Mold Reply with quote

Jetfxr69 wrote:
As others have already said, you better have deep pockets if your expecting a shop to do this kind of work. and if you think your gonna save money doing it yourself, then dont plan on operating it any time soon.

What you show is only pics of what you can see. as I will show in my pics, once you see the mold, you can expect it to be everywhere you cant see too..

agreed. it's a shit ton of work. that's what kids are for

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

look, chocolate sprinkles

mmm mmm tasty

grab a spoon

hey kid, you ever clean mouse shit? no?!? well then...

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: