Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics)
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

My step mom owns this 55 semaphore bug. She had a family friend offer to restore it for her. He's had it for 6-7 years and has done very little if anything. She was under the assumption that it was slowly being restored but never asked for updates or progress pics. She's in her mid 70's and very patient or really didn't care much about the VW.

I recently reached out to the guy and asked about the bug. He told me it was in bad shape and he didn't really have the time to work on it, didn't have the money to buy parts, parts are really hard to find, the dog ate my homework etc. etc. etc. I asked for pics and finally got them 2 weeks later (last night).

I know nothing about restoring a 55 VW. I can say that back in the early 1990's this bug was mine and my dad and I rebuilt the engine with all new German parts, rebuilt the front end and the entire brake system. Everything electrical worked back then too. Even the semaphores flipped up and lit up.
Since those repairs, it was driven less than 10 miles and parked outside to rust away. THE ENGINE DOES RUN NOW. The interior panels and seats are with the VW but not seen in the pics.

I'd like to get some professional/hobbyist opinions from people who have restored or had an old bug restored. I'm hoping to help advise my stepmom what to do next after the guy brings the bug back to her.
Please look at the pics and tell me...

1. Is it worth restoring?

2. How long should a restoration take roughly?

3. How much is the bug worth as it sits?

4. How much would the restoration cost roughly? By restoration, I mean a nice looking driver that you'd be proud to drive and occasionally take to a show... not a concourse show winner.

5. Once restored, what would its value be?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

The more I look at the pics, the more I realize the 67 year old patina is amazing. Vintage car owners probably spend weeks trying to fake a patina like this on their car Laughing .

What about doing a resto of the interior, the mechanicals, floor boards, heater channels and patch any holes and leaving the exterior as it is? That would be much less expensive right?
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

The car is an early 55 Ribbed Door Oval and should be restored by someone and not parted out. It has many of its march and earlier parts on it which are extremely hard to find and expensive when you do. The Fenders, hood, early Spring W decklid, 5 bolt front hood, small hole heater channels, OG egg tail lights, headlight buckets probably too etc etc. Seat frames, door panels etc all add up. Engine looks half period correct, and if it runs, thats fantastic.

The car is very desireable to collectors and is worth restoring correctly. nowadays correct panels exist by more vendors to put it back to investment level. Klassicfab, Wolf parts, autocraft and WW are a few. but the car has issues and will show many more sins once media blasted and finding anyone to fix rust is very difficult to do at any labor rate.

If you want to restore a rusty VW to keep forever, this is a great car to do. If you do not want rust , dont really car about being a purist or correct and this car doesnt carry sentimental value or time/ cost is a concern, in lieu of halfassing it, Id sell it and buy a mid 60s solid driver turnkey and enjoy today.

I think youd have about 4-500 hours in dirty work/ metal work, prep and paint to a good resto level. 5-10k in metal panels, paint and supplies to make it pretty
couple hundered hours in assembly and clean work
15k in correct pre/55 parts refurb/ restor and interior.
5k in drivetrain and suspension re-refresh.

so 800 - 1000 hours of time invested in finding, buying using correct as you can get parts,/ fixing the OG sheetmetal on there.
$20-30k in parts and specialized mechanical labor

Its a 5-8k car as it sits with title. - maybe more depending on the guy.
once done w/ correct parts, OG color, and correct materials used, above average level - 40-50k+ in todays market

Chris at classicvwbugs.com has a recent video he covers this exact question as well in regards to early bugs and would be a good resource to inquire about.

generally speaking, you will spend 2x the money and take years off your life fixing the turd you have than it would cost to buy an equivelant car today by writing a check and just driving away. my .02
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

Thank you fritz for the in depth assessment.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

That car could be saved. But if you do not have the ability to do some of it yourself it will be very expensive. I see an easy 15k doing the aprons/ heater channels/ floors/ luggage area/ rear fender wells. And that doesn't address the doors/ hood/ hard to repair rust at the folded rain gutters. By the time you pay a shop to do it all...
It is a great car as it has almost all of the correct 55 parts, and as noted they are hard to find and expensive to purchase. But absolutely everything needs to be gone through. If you're paying someone you'll be underwater on it quickly.
The other route would be to do the floors, channels and hinge pillars, and drive it like the crusty barnacle that it is. Get some enjoyment out of it, and decide if you want to take it further. If it drives, you would always be able to sell it quickly.
Just my .02
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

FritzCP wrote:
The car is an early 55 Ribbed Door Oval and should be restored by someone and not parted out. It has many of its march and earlier parts on it which are extremely hard to find and expensive when you do. The Fenders, hood, early Spring W decklid, 5 bolt front hood, small hole heater channels, OG egg tail lights, headlight buckets probably too etc etc. Seat frames, door panels etc all add up. Engine looks half period correct, and if it runs, thats fantastic.

The car is very desireable to collectors and is worth restoring correctly. nowadays correct panels exist by more vendors to put it back to investment level. Klassicfab, Wolf parts, autocraft and WW are a few. but the car has issues and will show many more sins once media blasted and finding anyone to fix rust is very difficult to do at any labor rate.

If you want to restore a rusty VW to keep forever, this is a great car to do. If you do not want rust , dont really car about being a purist or correct and this car doesnt carry sentimental value or time/ cost is a concern, in lieu of halfassing it, Id sell it and buy a mid 60s solid driver turnkey and enjoy today.

I think youd have about 4-500 hours in dirty work/ metal work, prep and paint to a good resto level. 5-10k in metal panels, paint and supplies to make it pretty
couple hundered hours in assembly and clean work
15k in correct pre/55 parts refurb/ restor and interior.
5k in drivetrain and suspension re-refresh.

so 800 - 1000 hours of time invested in finding, buying using correct as you can get parts,/ fixing the OG sheetmetal on there.
$20-30k in parts and specialized mechanical labor

Its a 5-8k car as it sits with title. - maybe more depending on the guy.
once done w/ correct parts, OG color, and correct materials used, above average level - 40-50k+ in todays market

Chris at classicvwbugs.com has a recent video he covers this exact question as well in regards to early bugs and would be a good resource to inquire about.

generally speaking, you will spend 2x the money and take years off your life fixing the turd you have than it would cost to buy an equivelant car today by writing a check and just driving away. my .02

This.

You better have a huge wallet to make thing nice.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

dnh1263 wrote:

1. Is it worth restoring?

2. How long should a restoration take roughly?

3. How much is the bug worth as it sits?

4. How much would the restoration cost roughly? By restoration, I mean a nice looking driver that you'd be proud to drive and occasionally take to a show... not a concourse show winner.

5. Once restored, what would its value be?

1. Depends on your skills or depth of your wallet.

2. At this level of decay 7 - 10 years.

3. $3500 - $7000 lots of details.

4. If you do all of the labor, $23000.00
If you pay a shop to take it all on $60000.00

5. Again, depends on what you end up keeping original. $25000 - $75000

Check out my build thread to know what you are up against. Not for the faint of heart!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
pig-pen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

esde wrote:

The other route would be to do the floors, channels and hinge pillars, and drive it like the crusty barnacle that it is. Get some enjoyment out of it, and decide if you want to take it further. If it drives, you would always be able to sell it quickly.
Just my .02

This above.

Make it sound, drive it... enjoy it. Hey, you might hate it... you just don't know until you have driven one.

Do as good a job as you can with the right shop and get the details right when making it sound. Use panels from Wolff and Virtanen, make the repairs as invisible as possible, and it will have much more value later when you come to sell it.
Bugged Again
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

While it’s a great car to be saved it needs a full time commitment otherwise it could take somebody years and that’s not practical. I know value can be a tough one. I would go with what someone else mentioned at 3500-7000.

Give Chris a call? Thanks for sharing.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

Thanks everyone. I doubt she's going to want to dump $60k into it or even half that amount to be honest. But at least it should soon be back in her possession so she can decide what to do.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

All of the input here is good. Get it out of the weather, though. VWs are reliant on their rubber seals to keep water out, even if the windows are up. What little paint is left is doing nothing.
Unless she's super into it and willing to spend the 30-40k it would take for a decent restoration, she should sell it while there is something of value to sell.
markendee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

[quote="VW_Jimbo"]
dnh1263 wrote:

2. At this level of decay 7 - 10 years.

5. Again, depends on what you end up keeping original. $25000 - $75000

My guess is Jimbo's guess times two.

A man once gave me a piece of advice, if if you want a good car start with a good car.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

the chrome headlight rings are most likely a relatively recent replacement but why? also, i see what looks like a windshield washer jet, was this a dealer option? i don't think stock 55s came with that...

early 55s are rare and, from what i hear, they are not making them anymore. but this one needs a lot of work and it won't be cheap, even if you do most yourself. i would start with a car in much better condition, pay upfront and enjoy restoring the "little" things while driving it around...
janerick3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

adaysnight wrote:
the chrome headlight rings are most likely a relatively recent replacement but why? also, i see what looks like a windshield washer jet, was this a dealer option? i don't think stock 55s came with that...

early 55s are rare and, from what i hear, they are not making them anymore. but this one needs a lot of work and it won't be cheap, even if you do most yourself. i would start with a car in much better condition, pay upfront and enjoy restoring the "little" things while driving it around...

One of the photos shows the silver squeeze bottle for the washer under the dash. It is not original to the car, but added early in the car's lifetime.

Both headlight rings have rolled inner lips and the right-hand ring has a single rivet. All this means is the sealed beam assemblies are from mid-'54 or earlier. The car appears to be early '55 construction, as it has a "Made in Western Germany" badge in front.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

adaysnight wrote:

If you look closely in one of the pics you can see the grey plastic squeeze bottle under the dash for the windshield washer. You fill up the bottle and squeeze it with your hand to clean the windshield. I do not know if it was an option or added on by a previous owner.
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

Here's the same VW the last time I drove it. I'm guessing it was the early 1990's. My dad (rip dad) was a VW mechanic for 30+ years working on mostly older models out of our 6 bay home garage. He and I had rebuilt the engine using all German NOS parts, the front end and the brake system.

Dad was especially proud of the NOS muffler he found for the car. He said it was very rare because it had "VW" embossed on the round side and only one exhaust pipe. I can see the square tip in the pics. I'm sure this NOS muffler is rusted away today though.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

The VW-stamped single tip mufflers are hard to find but maybe easier now with the internet, etc.

I still see them pop up from time to time in the classifieds here, although very expensive now even though there are non-VW-stamped repros.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

$60k if your lucky

The bottom 12” of the car need to be replaced, luggage area, trunk, etc

I’d part it out…seats and tail lights will bring $$
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dnh1263
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

How blasphemous would it be to put a 56 pan under this 55 and incorrect heater channels?

VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Give me your honest assessment of this 55 please (50pics) Reply with quote

It is your car, do whatever you want to!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: