Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Make sure to install foam rubber tape over the dog house oil cooler to seal it to the fan shroud. You need all the cooling air going thru the cooler.

Take the fan shroud and a couple of nuts to your local muffler shop and have someone weld one of the nuts into that ragged hole to mount the coil properly. Second nut is in case you or the shop person loose the first nut.

Have you checked the valve rocker geometry??? Rocker adjusting screws need to become parallel with the valve stems halfway thru the push rod travel.
Andrew oval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

I would check whether the associated push rod has been become bent as a result of the stuck rocker arm.
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Andrew oval wrote:
I would check whether the associated push rod has been become bent as a result of the stuck rocker arm.

I had all the push rods out, both sides. They are all straight. I have not found any damage other than on the stud.
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Any thoughts on what the noise in this valve may be? I was rolling the motor over by hand, to listen for noises, and this one popped up. It is on cylinder #2

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lsPp3mJpPl8
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

blobaugh wrote:
Any thoughts on what the noise in this valve may be? I was rolling the motor over by hand, to listen for noises, and this one popped up. It is on cylinder #2

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/lsPp3mJpPl8

Is that head stud rubbing??? Those head studs are sticking WAY too far out.
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Noise fixed. Buddy came over, listened to it and said, “valve lash is off.” Womp womp. Sure enough, the lash was off enough that it was making that noise. Redid all the valves and no more noise….
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:

Is that head stud rubbing??? Those head studs are sticking WAY too far out.

Yeah, it was Sad

For giggles, I swapped the rocker from the other side and it is fine now. Plenty of clearance. Yes, that stud does stick out further though. It seems to be deep in the case though. Meh, dunno. I suspect that when I put this motor back together that I switched which sides the rockers were on.
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

I heard something a while back that I finally got to try out….

For several years I lived next to a cement place and it wreaked havoc on paint. I had been living with heavily oxidized paint that would turn you blue if you brushed against it. Randomly, I ran across a person recommending the Magic Eraser for taking out the oxidation. Figured I would give it a shot. The results are astounding! The oxidation came right out. Even some of the shine came back to this tired old paint (it is a single stage repaint). I have gotten prematurely excited about other products, so this sat for a few weeks and is holding up perfectly fine.

Here is a before photo

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And a shot after

BTW- a buddy of mine is a pro detailer. I previously had him look at it, and due to the age and single stage of the paint, said not to attempt a buffer because it would rip the paint right off. True or false I dunno, that is just the guidance I had been living with!

Also got the motor all ready and prepped to go back into the Bus. Added some pink, because why not. It was at hand from a project I had done for my daughter. Makes the oil drips easier to see Wink. Though I did run out before the top tin…. Oh well. Planning on replacing that with a ventless tin soon anyways.

zozo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

I used a buffer. Same paint, before and after. It may thin at places where you’d expect, but it’ll shine. Is yours original paint?

blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

zozo wrote:
I used a buffer. Same paint, before and after. It may thin at places where you’d expect, but it’ll shine. Is yours original paint?

Not the original paint. My detailer buddy said it was repainted with a thin single stage paint. The original paint is still underneath though!

I am going to attempt to buffer it myself. My assumption is that with the crud gone the paint is more likely to survive the attempt.

Amazing job you did cleaning that paint up!
blobaugh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: blobaugh's 65 Deluxe Transporter Resto-ish Reply with quote

Got the motor back in. It is running strong!

Link

And true to how this build has been going.....broke something else on the first drive.....

Did my transmission just break?

So next up on the project list is....remove the motor again. haha. Some day this Bus will be drivable again.......
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: