Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Install oil pump on new build
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

In the building phase and had a thought. I installed a Shadek 26mm oil pump. In the interim I decided on the CB maxi 2 and ordered it but hasn't arrived yet. My question is since the case is sealed will loosening the nuts around the pump affect the integrity of the seal and possibly create a leak in split of case? I used curil t2 to seal which is non hardening. Taking it apart is not a major deal since its only the block but if I don't have to I won't. Things that keep me up at night. Thanks for any help
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Should be ok with Curil

Why change pumps?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Well after install i see mine had a chipped gear which I hadn't noticed. Sat in waiting for some time so may have been dropped or something. I have the CB one on my current motor and it has worked well so I decided to just do that on this one. Was definitely not in the initial plan. Thankfully I noticed when installing cover.
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

totally depends on the fit of the pumps and the case, and the condition of the case halve mating surfaces. I've removed a pump from a running engine, and it dripped from that day forth no matter what was done to try and seal it. Likely that when we pulled the pump it broke the seal between the case halves, and once oil gets in there it's not going to stop dripping. But now, new Schadek pumps are a little loose, which might let you more easily pull the pump you have installed without disturbing the case seal. Even if you do, you'll be tightening it back down before it gets filled with oil. Feels like you have a good chance for success, so long as the new pump isn't way to large or small of an OD.
SD
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

New pump is shadek also only modified by CB. I think I will split the case. success is my goal. Thanks for replies
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Why not just replace the gear?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Don't have one
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Are the two pumps you have the same size? 26mm?

If so, just swap the gears
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Same pumps 2 completely different designs
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Yes, one you’d have to plug for full flow (I assume is what you installed) and the other is a filter pump.

Or is the currently installed pump for a stock setup, just 26mm gears?
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

One was stock. The other is with filter.
Witnin01340
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Maybe check that the pump (inlet) hole aligns with the hole in the case,iv seen pumps that the inlet hole was around 1/4 off from the case hole,this happens mainly with aluminum cases but iv seen stock cases to,its really not the stock case, but the pump hole somtimes does not align properly.

I have got away with changing pumps without no leaks but it can happen but with no oil in it as the post above says can probaly get away with it without leaks.
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Thanks all. Case was split and new pump will be installed when it arrives. Not worth the risk.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

I've replaced just the gears in an oil pump before, both were 26mm. Over 3 decades ago, still running....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

I didn't have the gears to swap. Rather than get stock shadek I upgraded to the CB maxi 2. Same pump but modified by them and also has filter. For the price difference it made sense. Thanks for the replies.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

The Law wrote:
I didn't have the gears to swap. Rather than get stock shadek I upgraded to the CB maxi 2. Same pump but modified by them and also has filter. For the price difference it made sense. Thanks for the replies.

Yes, that is what everyone is indicating. Both are Shadek pumps. In the original pump you indicate you damaged a gear. If you purchase the CB then all you would need to do is take the new undamaged gear from the CB pump and put it into the Shadek pump that is already installed into your case rather than splitting the case and removing the pump body. Then you can just install the CB pump cover so you can add the screw on oil filter.

I do not think there are any differences between your original Shadek pump body and the CB Shadek pump body.
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Understood but maybe everyone isn't aware that the maxi pump is set up. Not the same as stock

Last edited by The Law on Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
The Law
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The cb pumps are completely different. You'd have to look at it on their site. Uses different gasket as the oiling hole to send oil to the filter is in the front of the pump.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

Got it-so the pump body has been modified for the CB set up. I thought they were the same for some reason. Thanks for clarifying.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Install oil pump on new build Reply with quote

The gears are still the same…but since you are wanting a filter pump, you need to swap them.

Originally I was thinking you installed the pump for full flow so I was wondering why you’d change to a filter pump
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: