Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Been reading the posts to prepare. Planning to install tomorrow. Based on the posts I even went and purchased a German OE seal. Much more compliant than the first one I bought. Looks like a good upgrade. First picture below.

My first question is about any recommended technique. Installing the rear seal was very awkward, even with two people. Putting the adhesive on both surfaces and then manipulating it into place and clamping. Without draping the seal across paint. It was difficult but of course the seal itself was not very flexible… The front looks to be even more difficult – full circle of a seal unlike the partial rear seal.

I’m wondering if there are recommendations. Maybe start at the front of the car and put adhesive on perhaps 12 inches at a time alternating sides…? I will put painters tape around the edges but I just don’t want to get any of the adhesive on the paint.

Second question, less important, is about the upper part of the seal - close the windshield. Second and third pictures below. The seal changes and there is no longer a groove in the seal that fits onto the raised lip that runs the whole way around. It also doesn't fit neatly into the channel in the body. I can make it fit but wondered what others thought.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
My first question is about any recommended technique.
Looks like you've planned your work well. I have just a few notes based on my N-of-one installation Wink Use some solvent (gasoline works but I used a volatile organic solvent that leaves no oily residue) to clean the waxy/powdery white release compound completely from the seal. Your plan to take it in short steps worked for me. I used 3M weatherstrip adhesive and applied it to the seal and the channel where they're in contact along the inner bottom of the channel (wait for it to get tacky before putting the seal in place). I didn't find it necessary to apply adhesive to the crevice in the seal where it wraps over the top of the channel. Be careful not to pull the seal too taut as you go. I used binder clips all along the way. I considered masking overkill, just be sure to have some cotton balls and a tin of weatherstrip adhesive remover handy; the good stuff won't harm your paint.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Also make sure the little cutouts for the drain holes are above the drain holes.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Redlabel6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

hmmm, I put mine in without any adhesive. It hasn't budged.
d
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
crocteau
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Redlabel6 wrote:
hmmm, I put mine in without any adhesive. It hasn't budged.
Whatever works. Wink FWIW, from the VW Service manual Body – Karmann Ghia Coupé: “When renewing the front hood weatherstrip remove all traces of old cement with benzine and secure the new weatherstrip in position with Genuine VW Universal Adhesive D 12. …” Benzine, not to be confused with benzene Cool
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I did not get to it today but will post a picture if all goes well tomorrow.
3de
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
...a volatile organic solvent

Sofia74 wrote:
Benzine, not to be confused with benzene

oh lord, this was a fun little rabbit hole to go down Laughing . At least I can say I learn't something!:

"Benzene is carcinogenic and was removed from the consumer market 40 years ago. Before then it was often used as a paint and varnish remover.
Benzine is another name for naphtha in the US, though the term is rarely used in this manner anymore. It’s also a common name for gasoline in England. Naphtha (benzine) is a faster evaporating, less oily (“drier”) form of mineral spirits. It’s not dangerous if used in moderation."
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

I will be doing this soon as well. I plan to do a dry run using clamps on the 4 corners and use small pieces of tape to mark the seal and channel every 10 or 12 inches to prevent over or under stretching the seal as I go.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Era Vulgaris wrote:
Also make sure the little cutouts for the drain holes are above the drain holes.

Curious, are the drain holes already in the weatherstrip or do they have to be cut in? I bought my seal from WCM but haven't looked too closely at it and now it's in storage an hour away.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Peter D. wrote:
Era Vulgaris wrote:

Curious, are the drain holes already in the weatherstrip or do they have to be cut in? I bought my seal from WCM but haven't looked too closely at it and now it's in storage an hour away.

I have the German Vewib brand seal, and they're already cut in. Not sure about others.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

oh boy... the more I read about hood, decklid, and door seals the more I think none of the ones I bought are going to fit or work!
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Any last minute tips/technique to front trunk seal installation? Reply with quote

Seal installed today. Thanks for the advice. I am glad I purchased that second (German) seal. Much more flexible than the first one I bought from a major supplier as part of a kit. The new one also had wedges cut for the drain holes. They lined up well.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: