Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch Issue
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:15 am    Post subject: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

My 66 Beetle has an issue with the clutch.The peddle goes nearly down to the floor.
I have fully adjusted the Cable but it hasn't made a difference..
Could it be the slave or Master Cylinder? Is it something that I could fix myself
Rolling Eyes
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
I have fully adjusted the Cable but it hasn't made a difference..
Could it be the slave or Master Cylinder?

NO. Because these VWs have neither !

Callookbeetle wrote:
My 66 Beetle has an issue with the clutch.The peddle goes nearly down to the floor.
I have fully adjusted the Cable but it hasn't made a difference. Is it something that I could fix myself
Rolling Eyes

Could be a broken clutch tube weld inside the tunnel.
Could be a stretched clutch cable.
Could be a broken clutch pedal hook.
Could be a broken/cracked clutch pedal itself.
Could be an issue with the clutch itself in the bell housing.
Could be an issue with throwout bearing falling off the clutch "arm" inside the bell housing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

What cusser says you have some checking to do.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.What is the easiest thing to Check first?
If the Cable is possibly stretched is it easy enough to attach another?
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

First thing I'd do is have someone work the clutch pedal while you observe the arm on the transaxle to see if its moving.

If it appears to move normally, idk, 3 or 4 inches, something is wrong with the clutch, pressure plate, or throw out bearing.

If it's not moving, or barely moving, the adjustment is way off, clutch tube is ripping off the welds inside the tunnel, the hook on the clutch arm is messed up, or the pedal itself is cracked and is tearing.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Callookbeetle wrote:
If the Cable is possibly stretched is it easy enough to attach another?

Depends on your skill and experience. I've replaced broken clutch cables in parking lots twice in last 43 years, once on each of my VWs.

I've had cracked clutch pedals on both, and worn clutch hooks and broken cable tube welds on both.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Callookbeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

I have contacted a classic car servicing company and they have said that . The thrust bearing is a potential issue and says, possibly the clutch arm, however both of those would need the engine out to rectify.
😞
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Or it could be a cable or pedal hook that would not require dropping the engine.
Pneuman is all over it.
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

I think I would start with pulling the pedal assembly out and looking in the hole. That dead clutch without shuddering has been known, in my driving experience, to be the front cable tube mount that you can see with a flashlight when you remove the pedal assembly. If it breaks free up there you can find up to about 1/2 inch of lost movement between the pedal hook and the clutch arm.
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Quote:
If it [clutch arm] appears to move normally, idk, 3 or 4 inches...

For posterity, normal travel distance for the clutch cable throwout arm at the transaxle is about 1.5 inches, max, or about the width of two fingers held together.
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch Issue Reply with quote

Busstom wrote:
Quote:
If it [clutch arm] appears to move normally, idk, 3 or 4 inches...

For posterity, normal travel distance for the clutch cable throwout arm at the transaxle is about 1.5 inches, max, or about the width of two fingers held together.

I stand corrected. I was guesstimating.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: