Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ffwest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

I am looking for information for someone that may have gone through what I am going through right now trying figure out how to get a title for this project. The chassis for my Frankenbuggy turns out to be a 1970. The only paperwork I have is a bill of sale from the person that I got this basket case from. Her husband bought it from a friend of his around 71/2. It has been off road unregistered and no title for the whole time it has sat in a Storage Unit in SOCAL since he bought it. Yes 50+ plus years in indoor storage. I am in Commifornia, part of the problem of course. I was told that because it is a 70 chassis I will need to show it was built to meet all federal safety features, you know a sticker or something that was probably on a door jamb, that has been gone for over 50 years. In addition, I was told the Engine would have to show it met all emissions standards, of course the engine is a TYPE 3 DP Fuel Injected 1600 from around Sept 69 from what I can tell from the engine number. I am hoping that will eliminate the Emissions requirements. Any help or information would be appreciated. I was told that it would have to be titled as Special Construction like a hot rod or rat rod to be street legal. I am hoping that I can make it meet the requirements. One person told me it would have to have Doors Windows and meet all the current safety requirements.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

Title it in another state…
I’m sure California has to be one of the worst for that
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

Probably best Information ...

https://www.semasan.com/semaga/TagTitleToolbox_CA.pdf

Any engine 1974 and older should be smog exempt...

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

I was in a similar situation with my rail. It was a partially completed frame with a trailer load of parts when I brought it home. The difference is that I'm in Arizona.

I built it and made it street legal as far as lights and stuff goes. Then I took it in for a Class 3 Inspection at the AZDMV. It was a piece of cake! The two "Inspectors" walked around it pointing at stuff and mumbling to each other. They told me it was neat and signed off on it. They never verified that anything worked!

Once it was street legal with a temp tag, I drove it to Emissions Testing station. I was worried about that. My engine is an old school naturally aspirated Ford V6 all hyped up with trick parts inside and out and has absolutely zero emissions equipment.

It turns out that for my kind of "Recon" vehicle, it basically only had to run and not smoke really bad! I was street legal and driving around in a couple of hours.
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

My experiance was that the highway patrol is looking for proof you own the parts and the safety/emission inspectors job is to make sure it works properly.
y2kbaja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

Are you looking to plate it for the street or a green sticker for off-road only?
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 1:23 am    Post subject: Re: Need insight, expertise, help getting title for a 1970 Buggie Reply with quote

I went through the exact same process many times, for cars, dirt bikes, and off road toys. I am writing up a step by step how to, and I will post it tomorrow.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: