Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cooling Improvements
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

What do people think?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Brilliant!, an so simple, why didn't VW think of that?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

"Squareheads" [sic] don't know squat about engines, I guess.

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Hey at least plug changes are easier......
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

Never gone lose one either!
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

cmonSTART wrote:

actually there seems to be a real routing issue around #4 plug. ??
Better just take it to Jiffy Lube, they'll know more about this antique & take far more care than I could possibly muster........
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Stopped and looked at a Bay that was sitting for sale on the side of the road years ago that had no cooling tins installed. The people in the house told me in no uncertain terms that it had no problems with over heating. Crying or Very sad

The van also had weird wrinkles in the body that made it look like it might have been dropped from 15' in height or so. The seller didn't acknowledge any problems there either.

Next time I drove by it was gone and I have wondered how the unwitting buyer made out with his find. Crying or Very sad
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

thanks for making me laugh Scott.
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Even nice enough to leave the plug boots on. LOL!
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Stopped and looked at a Bay that was sitting for sale on the side of the road years ago that had no cooling tins installed. The people in the house told me in no uncertain terms that it had no problems with over heating. Crying or Very sad

The van also had weird wrinkles in the body that made it look like it might have been dropped from 15' in height or so. The seller didn't acknowledge any problems there either.

Next time I drove by it was gone and I have wondered how the unwitting buyer made out with his find. Crying or Very sad

I'm trying to imagine what those wrinkles look like... Think

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2022 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

First there were two MGB's dropped 1972 out near Willow Springs Raceway for a commercial. This was the malfunction on take one. Did the bus wrinkles look like this? If so it was dropped from a De Havilland Caribou at 8,000 feet.

Or this, take two that survived the fall with just minor tweaking? I know of a 1972 bay that was dropped off loading in Long Beach in 1972. A friend bought it.

Last edited by SGKent on Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Put a water header tank above the engine , waterproof the ignition and spray water over the engine to cool it ?.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Buy 200 bottles of canned air and duct tape down the nozzles to spray coolant on it
Jetfxr69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Buy 200 bottles of canned air and duct tape down the nozzles to spray coolant on it

im familiar with Canned Heat (On The Road Again), but havent heard Canned Air. Are they any good?

‘77 westy Seamus
‘76 tintop Crusher
‘77 westy The Judge
‘72 tintop bastard westy Hudson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chink13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

I love how an engineer claims to be smarter than the R&D engineers at vw and yet looks to me like he was needing help fixing something.... must be a genius to say the least
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

chink13 wrote:
I love how an engineer claims to be smarter than the R&D engineers at vw and yet looks to me like he was needing help fixing something.... must be a genius to say the least

Oh, thank you for summing it up. How do you assist someone who clearly thinks they know it all? I genuinely tried. But they so clearly do not know it all, in fact quite the contrary. They have completely misunderstood how the aircooled engine cooling system works.

“it gets plenty more wind than before”

Confused
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Let them watch this and it will explain it all in engineering terms... Laughing

Link

cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

I would be curious to see how this runs down the road with a CHT gauge on each cylinder, and maybe oil temp.

I don't hate my bus though, so not going to try it.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
Let them watch this and it will explain it all in engineering terms... Laughing

Link

Some of your finest sarcasm Steve. Brilliant Applause Applause Applause

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cooling Improvements Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

Just like a rug that had been skewed a bit. The wrinkles were in the larger panels and ran at about 30-40° to the horizontal IIRC.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: