Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:05 pm    Post subject: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

I am a definitely newbie building engines but a scored a great deal on an 82mm crank so I was thinking about getting started. The plan is to build a very mild 2180 with AA thick wall cylinders since I am planning to add AC and I thought the extra heat load capacity would not be a bad idea. I have a Holley Sniper single barrel setup so that is likely going to be the limiting factor in performance for this build.

CB has their aluminum case in stock but only the 3.5mm raised deck version. I ran the numbers on the deck height and with Panchito heads with a 54cc chamber and that comes out to 8.1 compression. So taking a few CC's out of the heads could bump it up closer to 9.

My basic understanding though is that the deck height should be closer to .070 or so.

I am wanting to double check this before I start ordering parts.

Also since the AA thick wall 92's are available in a base of 92 or 94mm I am not sure the best option for the base either.

Thanks in advance.
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

0.040" deck height is/has been the going number to shoot for. 0.070" is a pretty big DH. IIRC, it'll run a little hotter with a larger DH. You want the combustion to take place in the head, not the cylinder.

Get the 94 cut case and order your 92TW cylinders to fit that size case opening.
That way if, at a later date you wanna build it bigger.
You don't have the case machined to fit the larger diameter cylinders.

What camshaft are you thinking of using?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

I haven't gotten far enough to figure out what camshaft , lol
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

draksia wrote:

Do that before thinking about compression ratio.

What length rods are you thinking? 5.4/5.5/5.6?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

draksia wrote:

What's it gonna push?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
draksia wrote:

What's it gonna push?

a 72 standard Beetle
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
draksia wrote:

I assumed 5.4 was the standard for an 82mm stroke
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

The 3.5 raised deck is gonna cause you some extra issues.

A new standard aluminum case from the latest batch, 82mm crank and the latest 92mm AA B pistons, and 5.4 rods should be really close to .045 or zero deck. You will need to mock everything up, and measure it all yourself. The raised 3.5mm deck will need to be machined .140" or so, or have the cylinder bases machined. This is all based on an 2180cc I just finished with all new parts, but DO NOT base your engine on what I ended up with. Measure it all yourself, they are rarely the same.

8.1 is WAY to low for just about any cam that should be in a 2180cc in a bug. Lower compression DOES NOT EQUAL COOLER RUNNING!!!!!!

You need to list how you intend to drive it. Are you a hot rodder stop light warrior, or a granny shifting cruiser never revving past 3800rpm?

The cam will dictate the RPM range the engine will make power. Don't build an engine that will rev to 6800 if you will never wrap it past 5k.

Brian
UK Luke 72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Would there be a downside to using a +3.5mm case and trimming the cylinders to hone in on the desired deck? I like the idea of extra aluminium for support.
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:

A new standard aluminum case from the latest batch, 82mm crank and the latest 92mm AA B pistons, and 5.4 rods should be really close to .045 or zero deck. You will need to mock everything up, and measure it all yourself. The raised 3.5mm deck will need to be machined .140" or so, or have the cylinder bases machined. This is all based on an 2180cc I just finished with all new parts, but DO NOT base your engine on what I ended up with. Measure it all yourself, they are rarely the same.

8.1 is WAY to low for just about any cam that should be in a 2180cc in a bug. Lower compression DOES NOT EQUAL COOLER RUNNING!!!!!!

You need to list how you intend to drive it. Are you a hot rodder stop light warrior, or a granny shifting cruiser never revving past 3800rpm?

The cam will dictate the RPM range the engine will make power. Don't build an engine that will rev to 6800 if you will never wrap it past 5k.

Brian

I am definitely more of a cruiser and just looking for something with more power than my tired 1600 that I currently have.

For sure I plan on measuring everything twice before finally assembly I would prefer to avoid machining if possible.

I was planning on a compression ration closer to 9:1 or so.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Brian_e wrote:
Brian

I have a CB White Rhino case with a +3.5mm deck. It’s built into a 8.1:1 compression 2275 with a Engle 110, CNC ported 044 heads and Weber IDF40s. This was built for a bus, runs like a scolded cat and produces excellent fuel economy.

I would have put a bigger cam in it, but it’s a bus engine. Is my beetle has a larger cam and it spins to the moon. As stated above, build it how you’re gonna use it.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

UK Luke 72 wrote:
Would there be a downside to using a +3.5mm case and trimming the cylinders to hone in on the desired deck? I like the idea of extra aluminium for support.

Yes. This is the ideal way to do it, and how I like to do it, but it takes extra measuring, and extra machine work, and most people just can't fathom a little extra time or money.

Brian
Brian_e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Brian_e wrote:
Brian

I have a CB White Rhino case with a +3.5mm deck. It’s built into a 8.1:1 compression 2275 with a Engle 110, CNC ported 044 heads and Weber IDF40s. This was built for a bus, runs like a scolded cat and produces excellent fuel economy.

I would have put a bigger cam in it, but it’s a bus engine. Is my beetle has a larger cam and it spins to the moon. As stated above, build it how you’re gonna use it.

If you are after a giant deck height to run super low compression, this would be a good way to do it.

Brian
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

draksia wrote:
Glenn wrote:
draksia wrote:

This is the key right here. If you are buying rods anyhow, simply choose a longer rod and you can use the 3.5 or larger deck. You get a better rod ratio plus more cylinder support. More durable, less stress on the rotating assembly with the longer rod anyhow. That, and you dont need to machine any cylinders, just choose the right parts from the start.

But i know, everyone is determined to use 5.4 or 5.5 rods in every engine regardless of stroke, cause thats what most people do. I chose a 5.7 rod for my 3.5 deck. They were the same price as the 5.5's, and they were actually in stock lol.

http://carcraftstore.com/h-beam4340chromolyrods.aspx

82x5.4 = 1.67 Rod Ratio
82x5.7 = 1.77 Rod Ratio
69x5.4 = 1.99 Rod Ratio (Stock)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
draksia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
draksia wrote:
Glenn wrote:
draksia wrote:

This is the key right here. If you are buying rods anyhow, simply choose a longer rod and you can use the 3.5 or larger deck. You get a better rod ratio plus more cylinder support. More durable, less stress on the rotating assembly with the longer rod anyhow. That, and you dont need to machine any cylinders, just choose the right parts from the start.

But i know, everyone is determined to use 5.4 or 5.5 rods in every engine regardless of stroke, cause thats what most people do. I chose a 5.7 rod for my 3.5 deck. They were the same price as the 5.5's, and they were actually in stock lol.

http://carcraftstore.com/h-beam4340chromolyrods.aspx

82x5.4 = 1.67 Rod Ratio
82x5.7 = 1.77 Rod Ratio
69x5.4 = 1.99 Rod Ratio (Stock)

I am guessing running longer rods would result in an over all wider engine making the tin not fit well.

Are there any other issues I would run into?
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Draksia, on a 72 i would not worry. But yes the cylinder tin will need adjustments. There are larger gaps. The fan shrould you can get spacers here:
http://www.jbevwstore.com/shroud-spacers.html

Its part of "most" peoples stroker, and part of the compromise when choosing what is most important in a build.

Engine tin mod examples:
https://www.awesomepowdercoat.com/engine-tin-modifications
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

My 2180 needed no tin mods and everything fits just fine with 5.4 rods and as41 case.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

The 3.5mm decks are already going to make it wider so I see no problem running 5.5 rods and getting g a tighter deck to start. I wouldn't really worry about rod ratios.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

Have you bought the pistons? Go with C pistons (33mm pin height) and you’ve made 2 of the 3.5mm up

Just need to do the math before ordering parts…once in hand, measure and fine tune as necessary
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: 3.5 mm Raised Deck Engine Case / 92 or 94mm base Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
Have you bought the pistons? Go with C pistons (33mm pin height) and you’ve made 2 of the 3.5mm up

Just need to do the math before ordering parts…once in hand, measure and fine tune as necessary

He needs to move the pistons up. Not down. "A" pistons would be better suited to what he needs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: