Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

transaxle sealing in place
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:04 pm    Post subject: transaxle sealing in place Reply with quote

The PO years ago said the trans leaked a bit so he had someone seal it up. I guess I believed him.

After installing it in the car I filled it up with fluid. Seemed nice, but after a few days fluid was coming out of this cover. (both sides actually.)

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Can I possibly remove the cover and slip in a new gasket while in place?

I will take off the boot, the brakes and backing plate but can I get the gasket in place?

Sealant?

I think I read that there were different thickness of gaskets? And a way to measure that?

Or is it just easier and faster to take the whole transaxle out?

Peter
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: transaxle sealing in place Reply with quote

Take the trans out.
A few reasons, first being that the lower nuts are pretty much impossible to get on or off with the trans installed. Let alone getting the gasket in place while oil is dripping everywhere. And then, the number of gaskets determines how much play there is for the axle tube to swing. Too few gaskets and the tube will be pinched between the transmission and the cover plate. And the cover plate/ retainer is a part that is often bent, and will not seal when it is bent. You need to be able to give it a good inspection, like holding a straight edge up to see if it's bent where the nuts tighten.
On a crusty old trans, I figure out my stack of gaskets (they come in different thicknesses) and install them with a generous smear of sealer. Especially between the retainer and the last gasket. Then put the new boots on. It's pretty easy with the trans out and positioned so the axle you're working on is pointing straight up. An engine stand is great, but you can make a few saw horses work with a ratchet strap to keep it from rolling over.
Good luck. SD
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle sealing in place Reply with quote

""Can I possibly remove the cover and slip in a new gasket while in place?""

The VW repair manual 52 to 57 says it can be done with the transaxle installed after loosening the cover.
The cut of the seal (gasket) must face upwards.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
2Dokas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle sealing in place Reply with quote

thanks,

out she comes.

Peter
esde
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: transaxle sealing in place Reply with quote

Do you have a Bently? I think I have a scan of the pages you need if not. Wolfsburg West and ISP have the sets of gaskets. The red and tan are different thicknesses.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: