Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tire Pressure
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rastus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

I am a real novice and need help. I have 185-65-R15 tires front and back on my 1961 split bus. A Karman Ghia rear end so it sits low to the ground.

What tire pressure do you recommend I put in my tires. I presently have 35 psi and I get a bumpy ride.

Thanks for your help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jadatis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Googled the sises of your tire and have maximum load of 560kg/1235 lbs .
Most likely standard load so AT 35 or 36 psi.
So if you can determine the actual axle loads , or better sperate tire-loads , I can calculate a save lowest pressure for you.
If you can also give your maximum speed you use and wont go over for even a minute, I can even give a better advice.
But also look on sidewall of tires to chech the data, if you find XL/Extraload or Reinforced, the AT-pressure is 41 psi or 42 psi and maximum load is also more. Googled that too and gave LI 92/630kg/1390lbs maxload .
I find the European tires so AT 42 psi, but American system would give 1 LI step lower AT 41 psi , then P-before the sises.
rastus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to help the helpless. It says Radial LL 65 on the side of my tires. As to speed, it varies from 30 m.p.h to 60 m.ph.

Gene
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronjonlasvegas
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

This is what the owners manual says for tire inflation. I am not sure if this is still correct as when the bus was new it would have had Bias Ply tires and modern tires are much different. Someone with more experience than me will need to answer that part.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

The bias ply tire pressures apply but you should add 3 psi for radials.
This is mentioned in the later manuals where you could get either tire.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NUTSFORBUSES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

I use 1500 + load tires (radial) I think that is needed for my liking/bus. I use my race car discipline for tire pressure: don't ever exceed the rec. pressure and "test" the pressures front and back-write it down. It takes time, but worth every minute, as long as you have a good pressure gauge. My ride has much improved using this technique. Tires have changed so much since the bus was built, and street radials are more trial and error than an "off road/heavy sidewall" type tire that many Bus owners use. I like the cush and quite ride.
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

There's an explanation of how to calculate tyre pressures on the SSVC Technical page...

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=893128#p893128

Having said that, it came up with a very low number for my truck, so I ended up going with the original bias ply tyre pressures from the manual. They look about right, but I can's say I do a lot of miles in the truck.

https://www.ssvc.org.uk/phpbb/viewtopic.php?p=897810#p897810

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
jadatis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

rastus wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to help the helpless. It says Radial LL 65 on the side of my tires. As to speed, it varies from 30 m.p.h to 60 m.ph.

Gene

Then we go from max speed 62m/100km/h.
But the LL65 os strange to me, can mean ligt-load su below standard load .
You dont see them any.ore nowadays ,.
So look again on sidewall for something like "mXload xxxx lbs AT yyy psi(cold)"
And in lack of real weights , try to find GAWR,s and GVWR( EUR MTA's and MTM).
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Sorry to resurrect an older thread, but I’ve been searching on here regarding tyre pressures.
Came home to a flat on my rear passenger side (LHD Kombi) today. OK, so tried putting some air in, and wasn’t sure of how many PSI to put in, so checked the driver’s side, and it only had 24psi in it 😩 anyway, pumped the flat up, and just went out, and yes, she’s flat again 🤬 no drama, as I have a spare, so my question is as per this thread. What pressure is good for a modern tyre set up ?
I’m not lowered in anyway
I’m running 5.5J x 205 ET20 alloy wheels
Wheels are fitted with 195/70/15 Vredestein Comtrac tyres, and clearly marked as 450 kPa/65 psi MAX Pressure 😱
And probably looking at driving the Bus maybe 2000 miles per year ?

So chaps, what’s your thoughts ? I’m planning on getting 2 new rears. The existing tread looks good, but the sidewalls look at bit cracked, there’s a good choice of tyres over here, Michelin Agilis, Continental, Hankook, Nankang, and also Falken which I quite like, as run them on my Bug. You guys have any preferences?
As for pressure, I’m tempted to say, that as has been mentioned, going original bus manual pressures +3 psi for radials ?? Help Please 😂😂😂😂
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

your problem is that you do not drive enough to see what your pressure needs to be.

start with the recommended bias ply plus 3 pounds and look at your tires.

do the look bulged out at the bottom?

I like lowering my pressures until i see a difference in wear pattern after some driving.

pressure too low: tires wear on the outsides.
pressure too high: tires wear in the middle only.

Most people tend to run their tire pressures quite high, making them uncomfortable. this is relatively safe as far as the life of the tire is concerned, but i can make a bus drive really sketchy.

as i said, start with the recommendation and work your way down from there. that is my recommendation.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Tire pressures aren't the only factor diagnosing a bumpy ride in a Lowered bus. Are the shocks shorter (correct) - or just stock ones mashed down tighter?

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:53 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:

as i said, start with the recommendation and work your way down from there. that is my recommendation.

X2

I worked myself down because at first with my new tires (vredestein sprint classic) it felt like driving upon "rohe Eier" = raw eggs Wink

In addition I installed adjustable Konis in the rear and made them slightly harder. The difference is remarkable! I don't get white knuckles any more in the crosswinds up here in the north!

Tiresize is 185R14 and I run them at about 29PSI front and rear. Maybe front even a bit less. I cannot notice irregular wear to date after 5000km. But maybe that's not enough to tell yet.

Before I drove c-rated light truck tires. Those were not so sensitive with different pressures, but pretty hard.

So you see it's more about experimenting and finding your personal ideal setup.

The saddest day in recent history. My thoughts are with all those people suffering from the aggression of only one individual.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Some interesting responses, and definitely food for thought

I'm sort of in a pickle now, as that flat upon closer examination looks absolutely great tread wise, and apart from a little crazing on the sidewall to all intents and purposes looks perfectly good.

The reality is somewhat different, I have realised that the date stamp on the tyre wall is 4608 !! Yes, manufactured week 46 0f 2008 Embarassed the other rear is from 2019, and can't decipher the fronts !!

Bottom line is that I definitely think I need to replace all of the tyres now, as I can't definitively say they're OK to drive with.

This bus is new to me, I've only had it a month, and I'm learning new stuff about the Busses every day. Good and Bad Laughing Laughing

Found tons of good stuff on the Samba here, so feel in good hands, and I'm also pretty comfortable with the advice on tyre pressures now

Just to re-iterate, currently I’m not lowered in any way

I’m running 5.5J x 205 ET20 alloy wheels, and they are currently fitted with 195/70/15 Vredestein Comtrac tyres.

I'll probably be looking at only driving the Bus maybe 2000 miles per year as I also have my beetle as well? 😱

So, as I want to change the wheels anyway from the 'empi' style to Fuchs reps, I now have the option of adding a tyre package. Laughing

There's currently a good deal on the wheels and tyres, but the tyres in the package deal are 185/65/15, which will take my current tyre diameter of 25.74" down to 24.46" and a speedo error of 5.3% and also a loss of overall speed ?

Hi Tizian
I'm going to have to look at the shocks as well, as now I've seen tyres that are 14 years old, I'm probably going to need new shocks as well Smile
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

You really want to get 1,525 Lbs. or higher weight rated tires for any 1955-67 bus that will be traveling on the highways. We used to run beetle tires with about 1,200 Lbs. (sold to us by tire shop because that was what they sold for VWs) rating and got pushed side to side in windy weather in places like the Columbia river gorge thru the Cascade Mtns. or even by any bow wave of a semi truck passing us. We are talking sudden lurch changing lane action that made for white knuckle stressful driving that tired one out all too quickly. Now barely notice side winds, and only slight steering adjustments in worst situations is all that is needed to keep in the lane.
mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
Some interesting responses, and definitely food for thought

Hi Tizian
I'm going to have to look at the shocks as well, as now I've seen tyres that are 14 years old, I'm probably going to need new shocks as well Smile

i have yet to meet anyone who switched to the red Konis and did not love them.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Thanks mandraks
I'm certainly going to look at the Red Koni shocks, heard good things about them Smile
2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
Thanks mandraks
I'm certainly going to look at the Red Koni shocks, heard good things about them Smile

Look for KONI 80-1350 front and rear

The saddest day in recent history. My thoughts are with all those people suffering from the aggression of only one individual.
Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Hi there
I've just put the shocks in my basket, and they look to be $460
Are you suggesting going for the KONI 80-1350 front and rear then ? as I have been going for these, but haven't bought them yet ?

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Tizian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Murt wrote:
Hi there
I've just put the shocks in my basket, and they look to be $460
Are you suggesting going for the KONI 80-1350 front and rear then ? as I have been going for these, but haven't bought them yet ?

I believe you can use the 80-1350 type for both, rear and front.
Can someone confirm?

I have an early bay front axle installed. So I need different types for the front...

Murt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: Tire Pressure Reply with quote

Finally fitted my new Fuchs repop wheels last night.
The tyres I went with were a good value tyre.

Uniroyal Rain Max3 195/70/R15 C104/102, as per advice from Eric and barb above 👆 wanted a decent load rated Van tyre, and these are 900kg/1984lbs. I’m off on a decent 60mile run tomorrow, and have set tyres at 31psi on the front and 36psi on the rear, and will see what a difference it makes. Hopefully 🙏 night and day, as I was horrified by the fact that the front tyres were older than the 2008 one on the rear, and were stamped on the inners at 2006 😱
I have also bought a new set of shocks, and after a lot of looking around, finally went with a really good deal on a set of Bilstein Shocks, for standard suspension. They were actually cheaper than the Koni ones ($460) and the offer came in at ($412) planning on fitting probably next weekend.

2017 Golf GTD saloon
2008 VW EOS 2.0 TFSi
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: