Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This day in history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Da TOW'D wrote:
Elvis died today in 1977

It was during my first week of working for the IRS. Shocking news on the 19" motel TV that night.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
Last I heard was that Elvis was seen bagging groceries in the Detroit area.

I heard he has a show in Vegas as an Elvis impersonator. Guess he's not half bad.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
Bonesberg55 wrote:
Last I heard was that Elvis was seen bagging groceries in the Detroit area.

I heard he has a show in Vegas as an Elvis impersonator. Guess he's not half bad.

In Reno,NV at the IGA Shocked

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

no,no,no - it's the guy who works down the chip shop Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Been 10 years since Neil Armstrong died. Interesting developments since.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/23/us/neil-armstrong-wrongful-death-settlement.html

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

21 years
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
21 years

And one of the most powerful photos ever taken....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

I was disgusted to find NO stories about this on the L.A. Times online version, and even the N.Y. Times buried it 16 stories down.
Apparently, "never" is 20 years or less...
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

September 30, 1968

The Boeing 747 is rolled out and was shown to the public for the first time.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Oct. 3:
OJ acquitted for killings of Nicole Brown and Ron Goldman.
OJ convicted of terrible acting.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

October 13, 1960: Bill Mazeroski hits home run in bottom of the ninth inning as the underdog Pittsburgh Pirates defeat the might Yankees in Game 7 of the 1960 World Series 10-9.

Game time for a game with 19 runs then: 2 hours 36 minutes.

The only world series game ever with zero strikeouts.

First World Series ending on a walk-off.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

on this date, the USS constitution was launched. 1797. Gilligan was not abord
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Today in 1970.

Link

Article by Dave Barry (1990):

I am absolutely not making this incident up; in fact I have it all on videotape.

The tape is from a local TV news show in Oregon, which sent a reporter out to cover the removal of a 45-foot, eight-ton dead whale that washed up on the beach. The responsibility for getting rid of the carcass was placed upon the Oregon State Highway Division, apparently on the theory that highways and whales are very similar in the sense of being large objects.

So anyway, the highway engineers hit upon the plan — remember, I am not making this up — of blowing up the whale with dynamite. The thinking here was that the whale would be blown into small pieces, which would be eaten by sea gulls, and that would be that. A textbook whale removal.

So they moved the spectators back up the beach, put a half-ton of dynamite next to the whale and set it off. I am probably not guilty of understatement when I say that what follows, on the videotape, is the most wonderful event in the history of the universe.

First you see the whale carcass disappear in a huge blast of smoke and flame. Then you hear the happy spectators shouting “Yayy!” and “Whee!” Then, suddenly, the crowd’s tone changes.

You hear a new sound like “splud.” You hear a woman’s voice shouting “Here come pieces of… MY GOD!” Something smears the camera lens.

Later, the reporter explains: “The humor of the entire situation suddenly gave way to a run for survival as huge chunks of whale blubber fell everywhere.”

One piece caved in the roof of a car parked more than a quarter of a mile away. Remaining on the beach were several rotting whale sectors the size of condominium units. There was no sign of the sea gulls, who had no doubt permanently relocated in Brazil. This is a very sobering videotape. Here at the institute we watch it often, especially at parties.

But this is no time for gaiety. This is a time to get hold of the folks at the Oregon State Highway division and ask them, when they get done cleaning up the beaches, to give us an estimate on the US Capitol.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Should of used 'C-4' and directed the Blast to the Sea Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2022 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Another excellent plan by the M.F.I.C.
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2022 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

I’m embarrassed that we missed both the collapse of the Berlin Wall and KrystallNacht a few days ago, but we should not forget either one, ever.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

JFK, 1963.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

The end of American Camelot.
As posted in prior years, I remember as a kid watching the grainy B&W tv coverage of the procession, the sound of hoofs on the pavement. Our mom kept us home from school to watch.
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

You’d be surprised how many people from all over the world are drawn to the book depository looking for answers even now.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
The end of American Camelot.
As posted in prior years, I remember as a kid watching the grainy B&W tv coverage of the procession, the sound of hoofs on the pavement. Our mom kept us home from school to watch.

Phil,
You must be just a little bit older than me. It is one of my earliest memories as a child not yet in school.

My mother was at the ironing board crying her eyes out and there was a long line of black cars on the TV. I was so young, I had no realization of what was happening, except that my mother was crying. Sad

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 41

Jump to: