Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

The dreaded horn
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoCal68Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

Recently replaced the front beam and steering box and can't seem to get my horn working again. I made sure the horn worked on the bench, and also it is getting 12 volts... so it is the ground. Some interesting bits - from the steering wheel wire to the steering box coupler is "good" - I checked resistance and it was around .2
If I ground the steering shaft wire to a known good body ground, the horn works fine. From some reason I think the new steering box is not grounded. Any tips for fixing that if that is the issue? Granted everything is new and painted, but I would think since it is all bolted to the body it would ground?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

SoCal68Bug wrote:
From some reason I think the new steering box is not grounded. Any tips for fixing that if that is the issue?

1. Test to see if it is grounded.
2. If not, run a ground wire to steering box (bare metal, not a painted surface).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

SoCal68Bug wrote:
Granted everything is new and painted, but I would think since it is all bolted to the body it would ground?

Enough paint can effectively insulate the steering box from the beam, and/or the beam from the body. If your grounding checks between steering box and body show no continuity or high resistance, you’ll want to clean the paint (and/or any dirt & corrosion) off at least some of the mating surfaces between steering box and beam. Same story where front beam and connecting bolts attach to car body.

Or, alternately, run a dedicated grounding wire between steering box and body ground point, like Cusser suggested above.

baldessariclan -- often in error, never in doubt...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

Try grounding it by hand. If that works all you have to do is find where it is not grounding.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SoCal68Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

I'll fess up - so checking the grounds I noticed the tab on the steering coupler that the ground wire connects too was on the wrong bolt - it was on one that just goes to rubber. I moved the tab over to one of the bolts that goes through to metal and beep beep it is working again. Painful lesson as I literally spent days chasing various things, but at least it is working again.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

SoCal68Bug wrote:
I'll fess up - so checking the grounds I noticed the tab on the steering coupler that the ground wire connects too was on the wrong bolt - it was on one that just goes to rubber. I moved the tab over to one of the bolts that goes through to metal and beep beep it is working again. Painful lesson as I literally spent days chasing various things, but at least it is working again.

It sounds like you have grounds for celebrating.
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
It sounds like you have grounds for celebrating.

*groan*

Smile

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

baldessariclan wrote:
*groan*

Smile

Groan? Even more groanworthy:
I told Mrs. Cusser that the coffee tasted like dirt; she said it was fresh ground this morning....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
baldessariclan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

You guys are killing me...

Smile

jinx758
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: The dreaded horn Reply with quote

@ Cusser ...

Thanks, that is good !

I had to clean coffee off my screen.

Take care ... stay safe

jinx

It's not unlike the same difference

You can't push a rope

VALVES (cold)
CARB (fully warmed engine)

SCRAPE ALL GROUNDS

My Craigslist rescued 100 footer :
1971 Standard Bug
1776cc dual port
034 distributor
38mm EGAS Carburetor
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: