Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Bug driving strategy...
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

Draw thew system & no carbon seal in the turbo ,It smoked out the dump pipe at the Start from idling to long plus it's a China turbo Rolling Eyes cleaned out never missed a lick,,but then the dip stick kept poppin out spaying my Header Embarassed I lost about a 'cup' of oil all day, made 6 passes ,flat out ,, yep, made that lil' motor 'Sweat" Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

Interesting! So not all is bright and rosy with the seal-less China turbos! I wondered about that!
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

What to expect for a $100 turbo Laughing
It smokes when i start it in the morning ,then nothing all day Laughing it could be cuz I dont run valve seals too? I also change them out every couple years.
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

I have been told on here that my Rayjay is a piece of trash but it never did that in 4 years of all year, all weather daily driving!

I REALLY need to get that car out and drive it again!

Any horizontally opposed engine is going to give a bit of oil smoke on start up now and then. Unavoidable.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

I like them Flea-bay turbo's and they do perform better then the old Rayjay's Wink
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
I drive at limit plus 0-5 mph in the right lane. Ona two lane road, if someone comes up behind me and rides my bumper I pull over and wave them by.

I wave the aggressive tailgaters by- but I only use one finger when I do the waving notion these days. It's almost always some crackhead single mom in a Caravan in these parts.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
Abscate wrote:
I drive at limit plus 0-5 mph in the right lane. Ona two lane road, if someone comes up behind me and rides my bumper I pull over and wave them by.

I wave the aggressive tailgaters by- but I only use one finger when I do the waving notion these days. It's almost always some crackhead single mom in a Caravan in these parts.

And then she gets to a four-way stop and sits and sits and sits there without a clue what to do next.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
bandi wrote:
Abscate wrote:

And then she gets to a four-way stop and sits and sits and sits there without a clue what to do next.

Around here they just roll on through without stopping.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I like them Flea-bay turbo's and they do perform better then the old Rayjay's Wink

Disposable though it seems, like the good old BIC pens. And you get the bonus points of being the guy in the neighborhood that fogs for mosquitoes. Wink

I will take all your surplus Rayjays please!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

Stop signs are WAY overused in our part of the country. There is a 4 way stop 4 miles west of us that has excellent visibility two directions but poor from the other two due to an old unused house right on the corner. I say level the house and replace the 4 way stop with 2 stop signs from the north/south.

We also had a stop sign suddenly appear at an intersection a mile and a half north of us. It was put up to stop the prevailing north/south traffic. No one lives on the east/west road that the signs favor and it's a dead end road! In the 30 years we have lived here I have only met someone traveling that direction twice! The county doesn't even plow that road in the winter! Everyone in the neighborhood is at a complete loss to understand why those signs were put up and virtually no one heads them at this intersection!

Due to the lack of traffic in these parts 80% of stop signs serve little to no purpose and could be replaced by yield signs. It just does not make sense to stop traffic at so many intersections on roads that only see 3 or 4 vehicles a day.
scottyrocks wrote:
Around here they just roll on through without stopping.

^^^This right here is the result!^^^

People get tired of the signs "crying wolf" when nobody is ever there and you can see the traffic coming for 3 days in this flat treeless country.
bandi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
bandi wrote:
Abscate wrote:

That happened the other day. She waved for me to go first, then tailgated me.
'60 Canadian Standard, '64 Bug, another '64 Bug, '66 Bug, '69 Sunroof Bug, '69 GT3 Bug, '71 Super, '72 Super, '73 Canadian Custom, '74 Love Bug, '83 Mexi Bug, '85 Cabrio, '94 Mexi Bug, '99 New Beetle, '02 New Beetle Turbo S, '03 New Beetle VR6. And some Fieros.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
iowegian wrote:
bandi wrote:
Abscate wrote:

That happened the other day. She waved for me to go first, then tailgated me.

Yup----that's her.
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

bandi wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Interesting you should mention that.

A few weeks ago, at about 10:20 PM on a weeknight, I got off the SOB Expswy and turned left onto the B road that leads to my neighborhood. One lane each way. The light on the other side of the Expswy was red so I came to a stop.

During those few seconds an angry-eyed small Japanese 'hot-rod' pulls up behind me. When the light went green, I pulled away as I usually do, and about as quickly as Henry (my car) can do, which is not quickly.

The car behind me (angry-eyes) was literally right on my bumper. I was not quite up to the speed limit (35) yet. I decided to slow down to about 20-25 so as to let this clown pass me. He did not. So I stopped. He stopped behind me. I stuck my arm out the window and very obviously waved him by. I did it a second time. There was no other traffic on this road, in either direction. He didn't budge.

So I thought, well, I'm not gonna sit here all night, so I started out again, with clown-boy right up my posterior.

Not 100 feet later he pulls a left turn into his neighborhood.

I guess he figured that passing over a double yellow was not okay but riding the bumper of the car in front of him was.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: My Bug driving strategy... Reply with quote

I like #5. I too will not be deterred from my joy of the ride.
I did build my Ghia to be quick though so, I’m afraid I’m one of those aggressive drivers. I am careful and courteous in traffic but I’ve got the power to get out of the way.
Now if I had that 23 window bus I should have bought way, way back, I’d definitely be in the slow lane.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: