Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Rear Pillows Upholstery
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
keithca91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently bought these pillows from TheSamba, picture close up of the upholstery attached below.

The seller which I can name, insisted that the upholstery is Original Steifenbraun and also posted two pictures not so close up on thesamba ad. I asked for better pictures but the seller refused to send me more as he said they were already packed.

Anyway to cut the long story short I ended up buying them and once recieved I was shocked to see the blue lines in the upholstery as shown in the attached pictures.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Anyone knows anything about this upholstery type ? Original ? is it even Steifenbraun ? Clearly they dont match my Steifenbraun seats.

Seller is a longtime member of thesamba John Cilia from Canada.

They are quite expensive which I dont mind but at least I would expect the seller to be honest.

Regards,
Keith
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

that is poor quality material that more closely resembles streifengrau which is only used in Azur Blue beetles. Also the piping should be smooth, not textured. I have seen that fuzzy material in that pattern used in old Chevy's

this is what streifengrau is supposed to look like, and the material is not fuzzy like yours

this is what streifenbraun is supposed to look like. It is the same pattern as streifengrau, but the stripes are dark brown and medium brown. Also keep in mind this upholstery is only correct for April 51 through end of split dash beetles. March 51 and older deluxes got a different streifenbraun material.

I would be returning those pillows as they are obviously not correct or original.
Grant Reiling Premium Member
Samba Slow-Change Artist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

sled wrote:
that is poor quality material that more closely resembles streifengrau which is only used in Azur Blue beetles.

x2.
Perhaps the seller will respond if you can engage in conversation about your disappointment over the lack of photos?
Can't hurt to ask right? Question
Best luck... Arrow
What we imagine in our minds becomes our world. That’s just one of many things I have learned from water."
Misaru Emoto
The Hidden Messages in Water
keithca91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

I already tried that but the seller kept insisting it is original. Now looking back at the email trail, I can understand why the pictures in the original AD were a bit blurred and why the seller won't take more pictures of the item. He also insisted that they are original and that the material is as he posted on the AD streifenbraun so clearly he was hiding something. Anyway be careful with split parts on this site, They are expensive and people will try everything to sell non original parts as originals as it will make them some hefty profit.

Seller has more items for sale just be careful - John Cilia - [email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
keithca91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

Original Ad from John Cilia - blurry photos and listed as StreifenBraun, which clearly for a person who restored 5x splits he should know what streifenbraun is.

sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

if I were you, I would go to the feedback forum and start a new thread on him as a seller. You can post your email correspondence and show how he was deliberately avoiding your requests for more detail, and then how he refuses to take the pillows back as they are obviously not original.

Here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewforum.php?f=14

feedback is important on this site (both positive and negative)
keithca91
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Split Rear Pillows Upholstery Reply with quote

Thanks sled, I will do that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: