Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dans Squareback build
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Back in 2018 I bought my Squareback shipped it from Texas to Pittsburgh I got it from the original owner. I've been working on it off and on since but recently jumped back into the project. I took a while off because a really great buggy popped up then I decided I wanted to swap the bodies so that's been consuming the last year and half, but the buggy is just about where I want it.

Here are some pics from when I just got it and got the body off. As it sits now and I will upload ton more pics as time goes on the Pan is 100% complete rebuilt 1641 engine rebuild trans custom rear air and T1 conversion beam by Sam at Valley Auto werks and pans from Gersons.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

crusty engine out.

body cart

rustpile67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

U should make it low Very Happy
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Good start. What is your ultimate plans for the Squareback? I'm glad I live in California, for our pretty much rust free cars (other things not so much). I don't have the patience for a body off resto. I like smaller projects that I can bounce between, and I have a lot of them.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
Good start. What is your ultimate plans for the Squareback? I'm glad I live in California, for our pretty much rust free cars (other things not so much). I don't have the patience for a body off resto. I like smaller projects that I can bounce between, and I have a lot of them.

Ya I bought the car sight unseen and po told me floors were good lol the second it was delivered I knew that wasn't true but oh well I got it cheap and the guy was 80 so honestly he probably had no idea or was unable to craw under and see I wasn't that shocked.

I have it all pretty much figured out except if I blast it and repaint or run it as is. The PO sprayed light primer on it and I'm still experimenting with goof off grafitti remover and oven cleaner then polishing it. Im leaning toward just running it because Im really afraid to pay someone big money to paint and then left with disappointment. Cant put a 10k-20k paint job on it just not worth it. I did have a local guy year ago say If I did all the body work and he just had light touch up and filler he would paint it for $4000. I want to keep the OG color Baltic blue.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

This was one of the biggest issues with the car, wasted so much metal to get this right but came out great. Couldnt find a donor anywhere except in cali and wasn't willing to pay shipping for a half rusted one.

engine back

tins powder coated by me

wheels I got on black friday cip sale for $75
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

The reconstruction work looks great. Nice job. Cool How are you planning to mount those rims?
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
The reconstruction work looks great. Nice job. Cool How are you planning to mount those rims?

Shocked drywall screws of course. Glad your following Bob a lot of your posts really have helped me in the past countless times.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Sorry had to plug my own stuff. These are the repair kick panels I make sold quite a few over the last 2 years. $140 shipped in USA pm me if interested.

Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:
Sorry had to plug my own stuff. These are the repair kick panels I make sold quite a few over the last 2 years. $140 shipped in USA pm me if interested.

Impressive, I may be PMing you this winter. What I would like to know is WHY every kick panel I have looked at is crawling rust cancer from the bottom up. It is not the battery leaking. Does the panel act as a dam for any and all moisture behind the seats?
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Ossipon wrote:
Dangib wrote:

Impressive, I may be PMing you this winter. What I would like to know is WHY every kick panel I have looked at is crawling rust cancer from the bottom up. It is not the battery leaking. Does the panel act as a dam for any and all moisture behind the seats?

Ya that and the carpet holds the moisture wicked up from floor maybe.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Nice. I'm posting in here, because I'm probably going to need those parts when I get there on my chassis too vs making a set from scratch.

Also make sure to use the construction grade wood screws for those wheels.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Dangib wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Shocked drywall screws of course. Glad your following Bob a lot of your posts really have helped me in the past countless times.

Those bits came out looking very nice and would help others as they are a common rust spot on quite a few type 3s (the angled strip piece). Might be a way of cutting expenses on your project. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
Dangib wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:

Those bits came out looking very nice and would help others as they are a common rust spot on quite a few type 3s (the angled strip piece). Might be a way of cutting expenses on your project. Wink

Ya I’ve probably sold 20 sets already, started out I just wanted to pay for the bead roller
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

engine all done and ran on test stand

Bought the cb alternator kit hated the fit so made my own kit. I was soling them for less then half the cb kit but people cried about cost still so that feel off.
Dangib
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Dans Squareback build Reply with quote

time for the good stuff front beam by sam at Valley auto werks very happy with his quality took way longer then he said but worth the wait. I powder coated it satin black and also squared up the slot for the upper bag mount to get more travel.

Next was rear air I took some other ideas from beetles and came up with my own creation works awesome lays pan. Had the thought of putting together a kit for folks because it took me so long to plan everything really wish there was more options for T3. I know a lot of guys will convert to irs but I just wasn't into that.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: