Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2022 5:24 pm    Post subject: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

I'm planning a full re-spray and will be using a Single Stage Acrylic Urethane paint (main color I already have btw). I'll be adding a clear to the mix incrementally per coat as I've done before, but do not want to top coat with clear. Will be shooting paint with the intension of doing a wet sand cut and buff on the entire car afterwards. All things I've done before..

But the difference with this car - I want to add a secondary color, in the form of a 3" stripe on either side of the hood, for instance.

I'm struggling to wrap my head around the sequence I'm gonna use to make this happen. So, I thought I'd ask - what are the techniques or series of events that you guys would use in doing this? also, tape recommendations, etc all appreciated. Thanks.

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2022 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

you will have to wait for your first color to 100% dry then tape off and paint your stripes. you will have a ridge when you pull back your tape after you spray the stripes

honestly, i'd paint it then buff it. mask for stripes and scotch brite the area to be painted. if you try and buff after the stripes you'll catch the edge of the stripes and buff them right off

many stripe jobs get done with base/clear and buried under the clear so you have no edge

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply ..
So, I've thinking [tell me if I'm wrong please], that I could - after primer and scuff:
- mask off the stripe areas
- shoot my main color
- let that dry
- pull masking from stripe area
- mask everything else.. being careful to get the tape exactly where it needs to be on the dried edge of the main color.
- shoot stripe color

This way, I'd have 3-4 layers of paint for both colors and (in theory at least) would be level enough for a cut and buff, after the final masking is removed.
Thoughts?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

it would never work out the way you want it

you can try but i wouldn't.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

The line will never be quite right as the sand and buff will cut it back unevenly. Paint the first color, mask and paint the second with as little paint as you can to minimize the ridge then build your thickness needed for your sand and buff with clear coat. The results will look far more professional.
Doug C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2022 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

..and are you saying to clear coat the stripes only? Then cut and buff everything together?
kman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: Stripes done w/ single stage Urethane Reply with quote

paint the stripe color where you want it without masking

let 100% dry.

Mask off the area where the stripe will be.

scuff the overspray from the stripe painting

clean and paint the rest

pull the masking on the stripe before the paint fully sets

you will have a ridge but can buff it down a little

Seriously consider base/clear
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: