Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hex headed axle bolts loose
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rodknu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

My 74 Super has two hex headed axle bolts on the pass side that have backed way out and are finger loose. Had that happen on a Vanagon I had years ago and couldn't keep them tight. Is this problem common? How tight should they be? Torque? Thanks, Rod
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

The torque specification will be listed in the Without Guesswork book. You can find it under the technical section tab.

The bolts should be triple square, not hex. So make sure you have the right bit.
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

I always use Blue Loctite on mine and if we’re talking CV bolts then yes, M8 Triple Square Spline Socket as I recall torqued to 24ft lbs.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

https://www.jbugs.com/product/5796.html
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Use spray parts cleaner to clean socket, threads, hole, and let it dry. Then torque carefully.

Don't forget the special washers. Old style are concave to provide tension.
https://www.heritagepartscentre.com/us/113501327-inner-cv-joint-concave-washer.html

Replacements seem to come flat with serrations.
https://vwparts.aircooled.net/CV-Bolt-Serrated-Loc...washer.htm
OTTO 1303
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

If they are the original “triple square” 12pt, as stated above, torque to spec, with serrated washers.

If the bolts are aftermarket, they may be a very cheap replacement, swap them out for something better. Others with the cheap aftermarket bolts have noticed similar issues.

Topline has the serrated washers
https://toplineparts.com/product/constant-velocity-bolt-washers-set-88-1421-2/

And new 12pt bolts

Loctite is up to you

Good Luck
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

These are what I use. A little blue lock tight, these and torque to spec. When you do maintenance always check all the nuts, bolts and screws to make sure they’re still tight.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

You can get the correct cv joint bolts in the classifieds.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

don't forget the CV joints need 3 of these on each side of the axle

VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:

I think this was only on certain years/styles of CV castings. Neither of my '71 cars used them, but I've seen them on others. They serve as a spacer so the bolts do not interfere with the CV itself.

Install exactly what came off your car.
rodknu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

Thanks to all who commented. I have parts on order! Thanks.
Lost69Convertible
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

I'll put emphasis on some of the comments above:
1. Buy new high quality bolts
2. Clean the internal threads thoroughly with a degreasing spray

A caveat about lock washers: They increase friction in both directions: CW and CCW. Most lock washers are designed to minimize the friction (torque) they add in the CW direction, but it's always a measurable increase (when performing a fastener study with an electronic torque meter). The result: torqueing a bolt to 25 ft-lbs with a lock washer is less torque on the bolt than doing the same thing without a lock washer.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
runamoc wrote:

I think this was only on certain years/styles of CV castings. Neither of my '71 cars used them, but I've seen them on others. They serve as a spacer so the bolts do not interfere with the CV itself.

Damn near all VW CVs have the spreader bars, very few of them have any sort of lock washer, none of them had loctite. I have installed THOUSANDS of these bolts without lock washers or loctite & never had any come loose.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
rodknu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

TDCTDI,
Thanks for that input. INTERESTING, in view of the other comments Smile) Since I have owned a number of VW's but only two that had the CV bolts back out. The Vanagon backed out more than once... in fact lost an axel because of it... So, I am wondering what I may be doing wrong in view of what you are obviously doing right! Am I not torquing them correctly or is my tightening sequence wrong (diagonally across)... and I note my current 74 Super does NOT currently have washers but does have spreader bars... Duh? Can you offer any other comments???
Thanks, Rod

"Damn near all VW CVs have the spreader bars, very few of them have any sort of lock washer, none of them had loctite. I have installed THOUSANDS of these bolts without lock washers or loctite & never had any come loose."
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

I do the diagonal pattern, twice. The first time around feels like the bolts snug up, however, on the second pass, the first three or four bolts are loose-ish & this pass tightens them up. Also, FWIW, since I’m not using a torque wrench on them, I can guarantee that they are well beyond 25ftlbs.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

I used a torque wrench on the M8 triple square bolts when I installed a rebuilt transmission into my 1970 back in 2018.

The M8 triple square bolts on my 1971 Convertible have never been loosened/tightened/removed (I've had the 1971 since 1976).
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Hex headed axle bolts loose Reply with quote

Quote:

I removed an axle that had two of the torque plates...opposite each other on the CVJ. When I replaced it I used 3 plates
VW Wiring = It's just wires
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: