Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:

We drilled the 9 plugs on the carbs idle circuit and used a 3mm reamer to go thru them and clean them up then plugged them with 8/32 plug.

Was this to make sure you go enough flow through the low speed circuit with the E85? How does this new booster compare to the previous Holly booster?

Did you notice anything with the tune?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

we drilled them just to make sure there was no casting flaws in the carb, we have dont this to a few sets.

The new boosters are bigger than the old and should need smaller mains since its pulling more fuel and more efficient.

I have only made a few passes and it seems to be spot on, Little lean at the top of third. So I went to 240 airs instead of 260's. still have 200 mains.

I did make that pass with 31 total timing, before I was at 34 total. de tuned it thinking I was not going to beat on it. That lasted a day.

So now im at 34 degree to 5200 then 35 after that. Might need more fuel, we will see.
j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Sounds like a ton of fun and making progress. Super happy to hear it is not smoking anymore. Very Happy
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I’d have been disappointed if you didn’t beat on it 😉
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

added Float bowl vents to the carbs. I see fuel coming out on the engine videos i do and thought I would fix it.

drilled a D size drill bit thru the factory vent hole then tapped with 1/16 pipe tap. Went 1/16 to -4 fitting to 2" hard line. took less than an hour to do both. about 40$ with fittings and tap and bit. Red loctite on the fitting.

video below shows it coming out of top.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CjJUDVFvN3O/?hl=en

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

j-dub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Have you had a chance to duplicate the acceleration video and verify that stopped the fuel spitting? Just think of all of the mileage you will be getting now Very Happy

I am trying to understand if that is fuel sloshing or is your float bowl actually being pressurized from the acceleration or violently entering new fuel when the N/S opens. Seems to happen most when you are at 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.
BYeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

So there is a 1/16" hole venting the float bowl to atmosphere normally on IDA's? and now with a larger orifice you won't see the high pressure condition in the bowl anymore? Very cool. Does that hardline need a filter on the end, or a one way valve to stop moisture coming into the bowl?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

the vent is open to air so i'm leaving it, the fuel coming out before was hitting the float and splashing up. Have not tested it yet, offroad guys have been doing this for years.

Going to the NHRA hot rod museum today for VW day. I will see how it works then.

Wife is going so Not sure I can get on it hard, she tends to not like that.(in the car)
k@rlos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
the vent is open to air so i'm leaving it, the fuel coming out before was hitting the float and splashing up. Have not tested it yet, offroad guys have been doing this for years.

Going to the NHRA hot rod museum today for VW day. I will see how it works then.

Wife is going so Not sure I can get on it hard, she tends to not like that.(in the car)

😆
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Took the car to drag day 10/30/22.

5 passes. Best time was 7.81 at 88 mph. 1.69 60’

Was spinning through 1st leaving at 6800 was too much for the 12 pound per tire lighter wheel tire set up on this track. Use to leave at 6400. But new lighter bias ply tires and erco wheels took 24 pounds off my rear axle and i thought raising the rpm would help. Well it didn’t. Dropped it to 6200 and it helped but was still spinning. Tire is the m and h 235/60/15 with the erco wheels. Street versions.

Going back for some testing in a few weeks.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 3:35 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Not bad Wink
Whats your bug weigh?
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

2030 empty.

With me and fuel 2300. Heavy girl.
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Those bumpers, tho. I'll never let you live them down Cool
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Listing a 64 we built for a friend last Xmas. Less than 400 miles on the build. 2332cc flanged crank h beam rods big D port heads. All the good stuff. Video of engine running below. All new everything on this car as far as mechanical. We put 25k in it with no labor and the price of the car it’s over 45k and he is asking 30k

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2590695
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl6yrGWPdFI/?igshid=ZDFmNTE4Nzc=
ALB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
Listing a 64 we built for a friend last Xmas. Less than 400 miles on the build. 2332cc flanged crank h beam rods big D port heads. All the good stuff. Video of engine running below. All new everything on this car as far as mechanical. We put 25k in it with no labor and the price of the car it’s over 45k and he is asking 30k

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2590695
https://www.instagram.com/reel/Cl6yrGWPdFI/?igshid=ZDFmNTE4Nzc=

Do you know what r&p and gears are in it?
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

I know it has a good 4 spider super diff and a 3.88 with a .88 4th. I will ask on the 1-3 gears. 1st is a super beetle the axles are not stock either.
richie,uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
2030 empty.

With me and fuel 2300. Heavy girl.

How come its that heavy? what extra stuff does it have in it compared to stock?

Just interested as we had a 61 factory rag that only weighed 1725lbs inc driver, was all steel car with factory glass, had built gusseted t1 swingaxle box, 2332 with IDAs, geers exhaust etc, full chromoly cage all tied in to pan/torsion etc, did have rear seat delete due to cage but apart from that was complete.

cheers Richie

YAC

We make and sell carbon parts

http://www.rjvolksperformance.com/carbon-fibre.html
King_vw61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

Dynamat on everything. Full stereo system with 12” sub box. Autocraft case weighs more as does the bus box with 21lb peliquin tbd

Built for a cruiser with lots of power. Didn’t realize it was gonna weigh so much.

I have another ragtop I was going to do for a drag car. My old 54 oval weighed 1350 with me in it. That ran 10.90’s back in the late 80’s that was a drag only car.

Your new car looks sick!! Cheers.
richie,uk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

King_vw61 wrote:
Dynamat on everything. Full stereo system with 12” sub box. Autocraft case weighs more as does the bus box with 21lb peliquin tbd

Built for a cruiser with lots of power. Didn’t realize it was gonna weigh so much.

I have another ragtop I was going to do for a drag car. My old 54 oval weighed 1350 with me in it. That ran 10.90’s back in the late 80’s that was a drag only car.

Ok guess that will make some decent difference, just nearly 600lbs seems a huge amount, your making everything work much harder just to live pulling all that weight around!!!

Thanks for comment on the new version of mine Smile

YAC

We make and sell carbon parts

http://www.rjvolksperformance.com/carbon-fibre.html
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2022 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: AutoCraft 2783cc street engine in 61 Rag Reply with quote

richie,uk wrote:
King_vw61 wrote:

Ok guess that will make some decent difference, just nearly 600lbs seems a huge amount, your making everything work much harder just to live pulling all that weight around!!!

Thanks for comment on the new version of mine Smile

Robert,
Apologies for the minor thread hi-jack.

Rich,
Is there a build thread on STF or here of your new car build?

I have been following your vids on YT for a while and cannot believe that there can be a better car than what you have already built.

The King-61 street car is just, way above, what most of us would, even think about trying.
Love the car Robert! Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 82, 83, 84  Next
Jump to:
Page 83 of 84

Jump to: