Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Factory Special Order?
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cmdrca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

I’m looking at a Ghia (potential first time VW owner) with my sons and we came across this one. Owner claims he brought it over from Germany years ago and ordered it with these stacked headlights. I’m not a VW expert but thought I’d ask here. Is this a factory modification?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
oldslow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

No.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

That's quite a story! Ask him for documentation. I bet the dog ate it? Laughing

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ghiamanjc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Can you post more pictures? What is the VIN? That will confirm what year this KG was made.
I agree that this was not a factory option.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

No.

They look like Mercedes Benz headlights that could be from the same era car though.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

They are Mercedes......probably photoshopped. I have been around a long time and I have NEVER seen this. The Mercedes unit is way to big for this. I would like to see more photos.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
They are Mercedes......probably photoshopped. I have been around a long time and I have NEVER seen this. The Mercedes unit is way to big for this. I would like to see more photos.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Cmdrca wrote:
Owner claims he brought it over from Germany years ago and ordered it with these stacked headlights.

I can assure you the owner is lying.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

Location: Fairfax, Northern Virginia Formerly Huntington Beach, SoCal

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Run from that as fast as you can. Just looking at the rot around the fresh air grill tells you what the rest looks like. Trust me, and most of us, restoring these Ghia's gets REAL expensive. Find something more solid to start with, even if you have to do some work, it's better than having to rebuild an entire car.

There is a lot of expertise on this site and you can look through some of the rebuild threads and the "Stickies" at the top of the page. Do yourself a favor and search through the Samba classifieds, Craigslist in your area and surrounding states, etc. and then run it through here to get advice on what to look for. You will get straightforward and sometimes answers you won't like, but you are getting experience from all of us who have dealt with shady sellers and pieces of S%#* cars with hidden problems.

You are in good hands coming here, take advantage of it.
Jeff

See my build on The Samba at:
Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
paul_round
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

One word springs to mind looking at that photo, rotten!
Looks like its been sitting in a yard for decades.
If that's the best photo he can provide, then yes, run as fast as you can!
Cmdrca
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Thank you all for your comments. We are not going to buy this one (have a few years to browse) but I thought those lights were very interesting. I think I can see where they might have patched (and maybe extended) a lower panel under the original nose to bed these lights in. Pretty unique look honestly. Wondering if it happened on the continent or here. This one probably has rusted due in part to the modification though.

Here’s the link to the Facebook ad:
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/44946310...335f621ca3
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Is the sunroof original too? LOL

I checked out the ad and seeing that nose rust, that was an instant No for me

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Is the sunroof original too? LOL

Can we discuss the steering wheel originality too?
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

Steering wheel looks like it came from the same Mercedes they hacked the front fenders and lights from. Guy says it has a "running 1600 engine", really, the only thing running are the mice as they collect materials for their nest! Is there also a VW1500 badge on the decklid? Hmmm. Unfortunately someone will get sucked into this car because they are desperate and then it will just sit and rot more. Better to make a cool planter out of it for the kids to grow tomatoes.
Jeff

Jeff's 71 Vert Restoration/Reassembly http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6...highlight=
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

rbsurfguy wrote:
Steering wheel looks like it came from the same Mercedes they hacked the front fenders and lights from.
Jeff

Huh, I was going to guess it was out of the "Accessories" aisle of a Western Auto, circa 1987. Laughing
rbsurfguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Factory Special Order? Reply with quote

PeteSC wrote:
rbsurfguy wrote:
Steering wheel looks like it came from the same Mercedes they hacked the front fenders and lights from.
Jeff

Huh, I was going to guess it was out of the "Accessories" aisle of a Western Auto, circa 1987. Laughing

Or the J.C. Whitney catalog, don't forget how much us gearheads scanned through those!
Jeff

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: