Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nubby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig those rims, nice job!
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three inch beam is a good compromise and easy to build.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
pOrk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nubby wrote:

If thats to me, thanks! Smile
BrilliantA3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a stock beam with stock wheels running 135's and drop spindles should clear everything, right? I'm thinking of doing adjusters later for a little extra drop. With even a 2" beam you still have to change some other stuff around, right?
nax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pOrk wrote:
Nubby wrote:

If thats to me, thanks! Smile

also drop spindles?
smitty24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another thing for the OP to consider is sway bar options. You can fit a 2" CB setup on a CB beam= very nice and functioning parts by the way. Another option is to use John's Whiteline sway bars...come in a 2" and 3" version. The 3" will fit a 4" beam. Swaybars make a huge difference on these cars. In all honesty, a 4" with stock brakes/wheels is not necessary. Trust me, get a 2" with some 145/65 continentals, and you will have more than adequate clearance and have the ability to set the car nearly on the ground. Wouldnt recommend that, but a 2" is more than what you need with those tires/wheels. I personally dont use super narrow beams anymore because I got sick of the ill effects of super narrow tie rods. Some bump steer never goes away, no matter what you do to help it.
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitty24 wrote:
another thing for the OP to consider is sway bar options. You can fit a 2" CB setup on a CB beam= very nice and functioning parts by the way. Another option is to use John's Whiteline sway bars...come in a 2" and 3" version. The 3" will fit a 4" beam. Swaybars make a huge difference on these cars. In all honesty, a 4" with stock brakes/wheels is not necessary. Trust me, get a 2" with some 145/65 continentals, and you will have more than adequate clearance and have the ability to set the car nearly on the ground. Wouldnt recommend that, but a 2" is more than what you need with those tires/wheels. I personally dont use super narrow beams anymore because I got sick of the ill effects of super narrow tie rods. Some bump steer never goes away, no matter what you do to help it.

agreed. 2 is good for stock smoothies and 145/65's.
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree. I did 5" and wish I hadent. I would also not go to 135's again. 145 minimum. Maybe im just getting old.
rubilahmadi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

For those of you who have 4” and 2” narrowed beams:
Do not you have any tire rubbing from inside of the fender
I am planning to lower my 1970 bug, keep the shocks and also change the brakes to dish. I want around 4” drop so drop spindles are not enough for me. Adjustable beams can give me 2-6” drop.
I also like to widen my tires (185 or 195 for the front) but for that I am thinking of wider fiberglass fender but that is the next stage after a successful lowering
Questions
1) Why do people go for drop spindle + adjustable beam? Do they want to drop it more than 6”?
2) If I stay with stock spindle, disk brake is the only thing that may push my tires out. Is 2” narrowed beam enough for this case. My intention is to minimize any tire rubbing from any side
Tobias Bylund
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

1) If you use both an adjustable beam and drop spindles you can dial in a nice height without bottoming the shocks out completely, if you slam the beam using stock spindles you will run out of travel on the shocks and have a really bouncy and harsh ride. 2.5" of drop from spindles + 1.5" from adjusters gives you 4" drop and lots of usable travel from your shocks

2) there are some zero offset disc brake kits, but yeah typically you will increase front track with 1/2 per side, so depending on wheel width/ET a 2" narrowed beam might not move the wheel inward all that much
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

rubilahmadi wrote:
For those of you who have 4” and 2” narrowed beams:
Do not you have any tire rubbing from inside of the fender
I am planning to lower my 1970 bug, keep the shocks and also change the brakes to dish. I want around 4” drop so drop spindles are not enough for me. Adjustable beams can give me 2-6” drop.
I also like to widen my tires (185 or 195 for the front) but for that I am thinking of wider fiberglass fender but that is the next stage after a successful lowering
Questions
1) Why do people go for drop spindle + adjustable beam? Do they want to drop it more than 6”?
2) If I stay with stock spindle, disk brake is the only thing that may push my tires out. Is 2” narrowed beam enough for this case. My intention is to minimize any tire rubbing from any side

I would suggest you get and install your widened fenders b4 u make a decision on your beam width and lowering methods. This way you can build/buy everything to fit to the clearances of the fenders…..such as wheel width and offset, ride height, and aftermarket brake offset.

Here’s mine which includes 1” widened fenders, 2” adjustable narrowed beam, 18”x7.5” Porsche wheels, CB 2” drop disc spindles. The Porsche wheels have a lot of positive offset which required me to add a 1/2” spacer to get the perfect fitment I was looking for. Had I gone with a 4” beam the wheels would have set way too deep within the fenders causing all kinds of interference problems in the inner fender area requiring spacing the wheels out 1.5”

The plus side of the 4” beam is that you can always space your wheels back out. Not a lot of options to tucking them back under your fenders!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This next pic is with a 1” spacer.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubilahmadi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

Thanks for great information
My first priority is to have disk brake, lower it by ~4” without any turn radius reduction or tire rub.
From what you have said so far it seems 2.5” drop spindle + 2” narrowed adjustable beam serve my purpose.
Even though DerrickfromNC1 rims look so cool I do not want to add adapter to mount the rim to 4x130 brake rotor
So I will stay with 15x5.5 4x130 rims and install 195 or 205 tires. Once I have this set up working I will check my stock fender if they rub from outside I will go for wider fender (I still prefer steel fender over fiberglass so wide fender is my last option)

Now more questions
JBug has 2” adjustable beam for $499. How is the quality of that beam compared to CB performance. Jbug’s beam gives me wider drop range (2 to 6)

2" Narrowed Beam for Ball Joint. Ratchet Style Adjusters for use w/ DROP SPINDLES

https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-2814.html

6277 2" Narrowed Front Beam (Ball Joint) with Puma™ Style Adjusters ('66-on)
https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/6277.htm

does anybody have any feedback on EMPI disk brakes quality ?

EMPI VW Disc Brake Kit - Drop Spindle Front - 4x130 - Drilled & Slotted - 1966-77 Beetle - Ghia

https://www.jbugs.com/product/22-6141.html?rrec=true

CB does not have slotted rotor. Do you recommend spending the extra $ to get drilled and slotted rotor ?
4190 Dropped Disc Brake Kit (Ball Joint) 4 Lug '66-on Sedans & Ghias

https://www.cbperformance.com/product-p/4190.htm

in general what is your feeling about EMPI parts from JBug?

Thanks
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

Drill/slotted rotors look good but not necessary for a daily driver VW.

Have you sourced your narrow leaf springs & steering tie rods that will be required with the narrow beam. Might want to consider these guys…they can provide just the 2” beam, or a complete beam with disc brakes, steering box, leaf springs etc, all assembled or anything in between.

https://shop.kaddieshack.com/Build-A-Beam-Ball-Joi...uctId=1081

Don’t forget the 2” narrowed sway bar!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rubilahmadi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

Thanks for the reference
Yeah I am planning to get anything that need to be shortened

My intention of comparison was to see how people like quality of EMPI brand from Jbug (quality of stuff from Jbug in general) compared to CB performance which seems good quality
rubilahmadi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

Ok
I am settling for drop spindle and 2" narrowed adjustable beam.
At max setting it gives me 2.5+2=4" drop. I am also eliminating swey bar (do you recommend or not?), I will adjust the rear accordingly
At this hight do I need to use shorter shocks?
What shock height, make and model do you recommend?

Different questions
Do you recommend EMPI ball joints or you go for a better brand if so what do you use?
How about trailing arm bushings? Do you go for polyurethane or old style stock rubber? Which website do you recommend for rubber and bushings?
devildog86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2" Vs 4" Narrowed Beam Reply with quote

pOrk..I like the set up of your wheels, what size are the wheels and tires?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: