Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tachometer not working
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer not working Reply with quote

I don't really know ... I have only driven a manual like 1 time before .. i sure wish this thing had some kind of indication that its time to shift .. this is why I installed the tach .. if I made a video would that help ?? could anyone tell me by the sound?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer not working Reply with quote

How about a shift light mounted on the column? When the light goes on, shift!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer not working Reply with quote

Wulfthang wrote:
How about a shift light mounted on the column? When the light goes on, shift!

Problem is he does not know what engine torque/horsepower curve is so he does not know when engine maxis out so he does not known what RPM engine is at max power and when to shift ... Guess he could set max rpm at something like 4000 RPM and live with it but not knowing what engine is actually capable of....

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
DHale_510
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Tachometer not working Reply with quote

You have a single VW carb so you do not have a high rpm motor.
Stock VWs had little shift points on the speedometer that were optimum compromises for upper rev limits and lower revs.
The fan really needs to be turning around 3000rpm to do the air cooled thing and the stock carb, cam and flywheel pretty much limited you to about 4500rpm, then you should feel the power dropping. Lots more VW motors are hurt by too slow than too fast.
I suspect your 3 reading is 3000 rpm and that is more or less where you want it to be, try to keep it between 3 and 4 if you really want numbers.
It will be noisy but it will not likely be overrevving unless you have a silly downshift or something and the tach will not help there anyway.
Drive it.
Dennis
wwwben
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Tachometer not working Reply with quote

thank you for the info!
I havent had it more than 3rd gear yet and have only maybe gone 1 mile total with it .. maybe ill take it out today and drive it ..

problem is .. no plate no title etc..

DHale_510 wrote:
You have a single VW carb so you do not have a high rpm motor.
Stock VWs had little shift points on the speedometer that were optimum compromises for upper rev limits and lower revs.
The fan really needs to be turning around 3000rpm to do the air cooled thing and the stock carb, cam and flywheel pretty much limited you to about 4500rpm, then you should feel the power dropping. Lots more VW motors are hurt by too slow than too fast.
I suspect your 3 reading is 3000 rpm and that is more or less where you want it to be, try to keep it between 3 and 4 if you really want numbers.
It will be noisy but it will not likely be overrevving unless you have a silly downshift or something and the tach will not help there anyway.
Drive it.
Dennis
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: