Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Did you apply the heat sink grease/Thermal paste to the back of the Ignition Module before screwing it onto the Alloy heat sink? Did the new module come with any of the special grease/Paste, or not? Just wondering? Normally called Thermal paste.
You can buy it on Amazon for under $10 usually, also available at Computer Stores, as they use it for heatsink for the CPU.

Other than that, if it's not a failing new module, seems like an intermittent Connection issue, OR, you need to check Fuel Pressure again, esp with the fact that spraying Starting Fluid helped, versus doing nothing for you, and the way the engine died ,[sputtering] sounds more like a Fuel Issue.
Ignition Issues tend to be REALLY quick, you are running ,and then you aren't. Razz
Fuel is generally more of a slow decline till you don't have enough pressure, or volume, to keep going
Checking at the Filter, post fuel pump, if it's running, is a basic flow check, but does not tell you if you have enough pressure to get a decent spray pattern out of the Injectors when they're being fired.
If you are checking PRE-PUMP, then flow out of the tank is all you know at this point . Still nice to know, but more info is needed.
A great way to hear and see this , is to check out the recent VW Life Video on Youtube where the guys are struggling to get an Air Cooled Vanagon to run, but FINALLY put a pressure gauge on the system, only to find out they have almost no pressure from the fuel pump.
Pull a spark plug and make sure it's not flooded from your starting attempts- it's easy to get such poor atomization out of the injector spray nozzle due to low flow and pressure, that you flood a cyl, wet the rings, lose some compression pressure while the rings are washed out, and the plug isn't thrilled about trying to fire either, all due to that gas not burning and igniting, but washing the cyl. out on you. Add multiple cyls to that, you're not going to start. Finally, if you had an that was engine is older and has lower compression, it just adds to the fun since your base level isn't that great of a starting point....
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

At this point I think you might have a bad ECU, with over fueling being the result. Maybe try to find a loaner ECU and see if that fixes things. Don't know what year ECU's might interchange at least for test purposes. Waterboxer Digijet ECUs have a failure mode which causes over fueling so maybe the aircooled ECUs do to?
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
At this point I think you might have a bad ECU, with over fueling being the result. Maybe try to find a loaner ECU and see if that fixes things. Don't know what year ECU's might interchange at least for test purposes. Waterboxer Digijet ECUs have a failure mode which causes over fueling so maybe the aircooled ECUs do to?

ECU same as the ICU? This is the 2nd one already. The first one didn't even let the van start. This 2nd one is old new stock. Original Bosch. Van started immediately when I installed it.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

LordHuron95 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:

ECU same as the ICU? This is the 2nd one already. The first one didn't even let the van start. This 2nd one is old new stock. Original Bosch. Van started immediately when I installed it.
No, the ECU is the Engine Module, the ICU[ I don't call it that] is the Ignition Module, over at the left, on the alloy heatsink plate. On my '84 Vanagon with Digijet, the ECU is in front of the left /drivers side Tail Light assembly, sort of tucked away in the air stream of the intake cavity floor next to the engine. Is your ECU in the same location, mounted on its side? Or different with an Air Cooled Engine?
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
No, the ECU is the Engine Module, the ICU[ I don't call it that] is the Ignition Module, over at the left, on the alloy heatsink plate. On my '84 Vanagon with Digijet, the ECU is in front of the left /drivers side Tail Light assembly, sort of tucked away in the air stream of the intake cavity floor next to the engine. Is your ECU in the same location, mounted on its side? Or different with an Air Cooled Engine?

Mine is behind the passenger tail light. I saw mention of it in the bently for water cooled. but not aircooled. Unless it's just in a different section entirely.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Moving forward, I'm currently in the Bentley on page 24.13 which has the Air-Cooled Fuel Injection troubleshooting.

Test 1: The double relay. Touch 85 to- 86a, 88y and 88d. all three had the test light come on.

Test 2: The Temperature Sensor II.disconnect temp sensor and test resistance per chart. Oil temp at 68ºF. Resistance should be 2,100-3,100 ohms. I had the multimeter at 20k and it read 3.2. So maybe bad? next step: if resistance reading too high, touch ground probe to steel housing of sensor
• if resistance now OK, problem is corrosion between sensor and cylinder head
• if resistance is still incorrect, replace temperature sensor II This reading, the multimeter read 3.28. Same positive contact, the negative was on the nut for the temp sensor.

So that temp sensor could be bad. It is just a little high. For reference this is in the central valley in CA and supposedly 87ºF right now. Van is in an open side shed in the shade so oil temp could very well be down in the low 70s

Then I went ahead and tested on page 24.15

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I also opened up my AFM and tested the contact with it. When closed the multimeter reads ∞ and when I open it, it reads ~0.5

-1980 Vanagon Westy
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

LordHuron95 wrote:
Moving forward, I'm currently in the Bentley on page 24.13 which has the Air-Cooled Fuel Injection troubleshooting.

Test 1: The double relay. Touch 85 to- 86a, 88y and 88d. all three had the test light come on.

Test 2: The Temperature Sensor II.disconnect temp sensor and test resistance per chart. Oil temp at 68ºF. Resistance should be 2,100-3,100 ohms. I had the multimeter at 20k and it read 3.2. So maybe bad? next step: if resistance reading too high, touch ground probe to steel housing of sensor
• if resistance now OK, problem is corrosion between sensor and cylinder head
• if resistance is still incorrect, replace temperature sensor II This reading, the multimeter read 3.28. Same positive contact, the negative was on the nut for the temp sensor.

So that temp sensor could be bad. It is just a little high. For reference this is in the central valley in CA and supposedly 87ºF right now. Van is in an open side shed in the shade so oil temp could very well be down in the low 70s

Then I went ahead and tested on page 24.15

I also opened up my AFM and tested the contact with it. When closed the multimeter reads ∞ and when I open it, it reads ~0.5
Fuel contacts okay I guess from your reading. Did you wiggle the AFM with the meter reading, or just static reading since it kind of takes 3 hands to do this... Wink

Temp sensor 2, don't sweat a 100 ohm value difference, you're basically in the range for ambient to slightly higher than ambient spec of 68 degrees.
Don't understand where that 6100 ohm reading came from previously, that you posted, unless it's all in the engine harness, which is the next step again.

NOW, plug the sensor in again, and test at the ECU connector, this way you compare the THROUGH the WIRING check to see if it roughly matches the Sensor by itself. If you get that super high 6000 ohms again, you have some wiring repair to do . Let us know
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Fuel contacts okay I guess from your reading. Did you wiggle the AFM with the meter reading, or just static reading since it kind of takes 3 hands to do this... Wink

I had one leaning and I triple checked that it was making good contact while not holding it. Then held the 2nd point and opened the AFM with my other hand.

Quote:
Temp sensor 2, don't sweat a 100 ohm value difference, you're basically in the range for ambient to slightly higher than ambient spec of 68 degrees.
Don't understand where that 6100 ohm reading came from previously, that you posted, unless it's all in the engine harness, which is the next step again.

NOW, plug the sensor in again, and test at the ECU connector, this way you compare the THROUGH the WIRING check to see if it roughly matches the Sensor by itself. If you get that super high 6000 ohms again, you have some wiring repair to do . Let us know

Voltmeter at 20k

At sensor connector to ground: 2.86

sensor connector to sensor ~4.95

Voltmeter at 200k

ECU Plug #13 to Sensor: ~18.0

ECU Plug #13 to ground: ~20.5

-1980 Vanagon Westy
Bing!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

I know you just replaced the coil, but this seems awfully like a bad coil. They will work intermittently. Might be worth a bench test.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

LordHuron95 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

I had one leaning and I triple checked that it was making good contact while not holding it. Then held the 2nd point and opened the AFM with my other hand.

Quote:

Voltmeter at 20k

Voltmeter at 200k

. Did you mean 20K scale on both of those readings- I’m trying to interpret your readings , maybe a picture of your meter so I can see what we’re working with. Thanks
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Did you mean 20K scale on both of those readings- I’m trying to interpret your readings , maybe a picture of your meter so I can see what we’re working with. Thanks

Voltmeter scale set to 20k

Voltmeter at 200k

for reference, see image. The different settings don't change much though, the two bottom readings were close to 20 or over so I just had to bump it up. Maybe I was more thorough than necessary in my description.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Bing! wrote:
I know you just replaced the coil, but this seems awfully like a bad coil. They will work intermittently. Might be worth a bench test.

That would be if it wasn't starting though, right? After replacing the Ignition Control Module, it starts, but it'll sputter out and die after a few minutes.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 1:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Your 20K and 200K scales are ohm (resistance) scales and not voltage scales. I would do all my resistance readings using the same scale (typically the lower one) and not be flopping back and forth between them unless I was exceeding the range of one scale when taking a reading.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Your 20K and 200K scales are ohm (resistance) scales and not voltage scales. I would do all my resistance readings using the same scale (typically the lower one) and not be flopping back and forth between them unless I was exceeding the range of one scale when taking a reading.
YES........ Since you read appox in the 2000 ohm range with the Temp sensor 2 disconnected, stay in the 20K setting and tell us again what you have.
Decimal points matter.
I'm trying to understand if we're getting 1800 ohms, or 2005 ohms, versus something much higher when reading through the whole harness back through the Temp Sensor 2.
Adding more wiring to read the resistance through, your reading should be higher than with the bare sensor, reading you took, the question is, how much higher. A little bit[ 10 ohms or less], would be okay. Ideally only 1 or 2 ohms, but with an again harness, we might not get that lucky
More than that, it's not right. All of this goes back to your 6100 ohm reading.
I'm trying to understand if that was a bad one time reading, or its a realistic picture of the health of your engine wiring harness or ground for the circuit.

Lastly, as a quick test, touch your meter probes together , with your meter on the 2K or LOWER scale, and tell us if there is an real resistance through the meter probes themselves so we have a baseline.
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
YES........ Since you read appox in the 2000 ohm range with the Temp sensor 2 disconnected, stay in the 20K setting and tell us again what you have.

Yes, as I mentioned in my test, one of the two later readings is 20.5, over 20k. But I'll do it all at 200k.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

No, I don’t think that would be needed.
Again, you should have only a few ohms of resistance through your wiring to add to the reading you got with the temp sensor unplugged, and reading by itself. Ideally just 1 ohm if the wiring was new.

If you are really getting 20,000 ohms with the sensor plugged in and reading through pin 13 at the ECU connector( disconnected) to ground , you are way above the value that you posted for the sensor by itself. I’m not there to see what you’re seeing, so, just going by what seems to be going on and the Bentley wiring diagram.

This really suggests you have a wiring harness issue.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

PM sent to you for more checks and some more info.
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Returned to previous testing, results:

Testing done at 20k setting. Steps on page 24.13 in the bentley.

Fig 2: temp sensor II
Sensor to engine ground: 2.86
Sensor to sensor body: 3.23

ECU Plug #13 to ground: 7.05

doing jump test 7.4

-1980 Vanagon Westy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

Without knowing your meter, it is hard to know where the decimal point actually goes. As a guess I would say you need multiply your readings by 1000, so for your TSII sensor your reading is 2860 ohms.
LordHuron95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Starting Issue - No Spark 1980 Reply with quote

quote="jlrftype7"] I’m not there to see what you’re seeing, so, just going by what seems to be going on and the Bentley wiring diagram.

This really suggests you have a wiring harness issue.[/quote]

This image shows how/where exactly I am making contact for these tests directly on my sensor. Note: I have NEVER removed the sensor. As far as I know, it is the original one!

This is a more zoomed out image to show you what my engine area looks like and marks the sensor/wire.

-1980 Vanagon Westy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: