Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwmadeinireland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

Who supplies black urethane bushings of size 19mm = 3/4inch for front sway bar? Don't want to use those red ones and guess there are no rubber ones avialable with 3/4'' holes?

All help very much appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ladybug89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have to put "-BL" after the part number... but here you go

http://www.bugpack.com/content.php?id=567
vwmadeinireland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that was very helpful and got me the answer. For completeness in case someone else has same wish to avoid red ones:

BUGPACK ITEM LIST

Order these with -BL behind the part numbers:
6500-010 Repl Bushing Kit, Front 12mm Bar LP/ BJ, Red
6500-011 Repl Bushing Kit, Front 3/4” Bar LP/ BJ, Red

Or even easier use:
6500-016 Repl Bushing Kit, Frt 12mm Bar LP/BJ, Black
6500-017 Repl Bushing Kit, Frt 3/4” Bar LP/BJ, Black
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwmadeinireland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still no luck locating these black busings Rolling Eyes

Anyone able to help me and tell me who stocks these Bugpack items?
BUGTHUG
Samba's Rented Mule

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking either cip1.com, or CBPerformance has the black.

1963 15 window bus
1966 VW bug
1966 21 window micro bus
1969 Dune Buggy
1965 VW bug
1974 VW bug
1972 Kelmark, VW drive line
1948 Chevrolet Hearse
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubmyk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

Bringing up an old thread but has anyone come up with a black sway bar bushing for a 3/4” bar? Or has anyone found a regular rubber bushing that would work in this application?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

Buy black rubber bushings and drill the hole bigger.

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

vdubmyk wrote:
Bringing up an old thread but has anyone come up with a black sway bar bushing for a 3/4” bar? Or has anyone found a regular rubber bushing that would work in this application?

I'm looking for the same thing. Maybe drilling is the way to go? I don't know how easy that's gonna go?

Why? , because I hate urethane, because when it fails, it breaks. Rubber failure is a much safer (slower) process.

But, rubber bushings for 3/4 sway bars might require a heavy duty higher durometer rubber.

Somebody should make these.
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

I drilled out regular VW black bushings over 10 years ago. Took about 5 minutes. You all are overthinking this.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
….Why? , because I hate urethane, because when it fails, it breaks. Rubber failure is a much safer (slower) process.

Only the shit urethane cracks/crumbles. The good stuff wears out just like standard rubber.

https://www.summitracing.com/search/brand/energy-s...or%3Ablack
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:
….Why? , because I hate urethane, because when it fails, it breaks. Rubber failure is a much safer (slower) process.

Only the shit urethane cracks/crumbles. The good stuff wears out just like standard rubber.

That's interesting, I'm not averse to having my mind changed. If you can share more about why you believe this I am open to your knowledge.

My personal experience with urethane is from seeing it fail in industrial applications not involving cars. After enough stress and time, the stuff just fractures.

It does look like Summit racing carries good quality bushings.
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

wheel607 wrote:
I drilled out regular VW black bushings over 10 years ago. Took about 5 minutes. You all are overthinking this.

Thanks for that kick in the butt... I needed that. It's kinda fun fretting over every detail of this build, but sometimes I have been known to overthink things... LOL

I'm probably just gonna do this.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Who supplies black urethane bushes for 3/4'' front sway bar? Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
DeathRay64 wrote:

That's interesting, I'm not averse to having my mind changed. If you can share more about why you believe this I am open to your knowledge.

My personal experience with urethane is from seeing it fail in industrial applications not involving cars. After enough stress and time, the stuff just fractures.

It does look like Summit racing carries good quality bushings.

UV rays effect urethane. I have seen inexpensive poor quality urethane bushings on an open frame rail buggy disintegrate in a few years.

The Energy Suspension Urethane bushings for the sway bar on my 74 Super made it 22 years before the bar actually had movement within the bushing. I got a second kit, and simply did the sway bar bushings at first. 5 years later I did the ball joints in the arms, and put the arm bushings in from the remainder of the set. The old ones were tight, but were spongy, and no longer “firm” as you would expect urethane to be.

Which is the new one, and which is 27 years old with 70k+ miles on it?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: