Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:42 pm    Post subject: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Planning our carpet installation and wondering how to cut the carpet for the shifter.
The photo below (not our car) has a nice finished opening for the shifter. Our carpet kit does not have that.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The next picture below (also not ours) has the stock little rubber boot but then something that covers the carpet edge for a nice finished look but I can't see exactly what it is. Or is it just an open cutout?

Our shifter is below. Same little boot but not seeing how to transition to the carpet. There is the flange there with two bolts that holds the shifter in place. The carpet doesn't tuck underneath that does it? That does not seem right to me - adding more squishiness to the shifting?
Am I missing something?
Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Having just been through this I'll offer that you don't get in a hurry or cut too much.

They won't sell you just a center floor carpet, you'll have to order another complete kit.

Go slowly.
Take the shifter out.
Settle the carpet fully into place before trimming.
You can always trim more.
The hole gets bigger with use.
Too small doesn't look bad, too big does.
Once the hole is cut too big it's too late.

Hope this helps.

What’s That Noise?!?
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

If you don't have the shifter grommet or ebrake grommet it's because you ordered the least expensive TMI carpet kit. For not too much more, the Premium TMI carpet kit gives you those grommets.

Base kit:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/34-F1524-628.html

Premium kit:
https://www.jbugs.com/product/34-F1540-628.html

And due to the GBP bottoming out recently, you can now spend less than either of those, and get what is IMO the best non-square weave carpet kit on the market from Newton Commercial. As of today 318 GBP = 358 USD

https://newtoncomm.co.uk/collections/karmann-ghia/products/coupe-1970-onwards-lhd-narrow-weave

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L overhauled by Jake Raby -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Yeah, I ordered the cheapest. Had I known... Should have done more research of course.

Couple questions

1. Does the carpet then go around the bracket with the two bolts? Underneath?

2. Putting the shifter back together - is there an adjustment? Or just drop it in and tighten down?

Thanks for the help,
Matt
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Yeah, I ordered the cheapest. Had I known... Should have done more research of course.

Couple questions

1. Does the carpet then go around the bracket with the two bolts? Underneath?

2. Putting the shifter back together - is there an adjustment? Or just drop it in and tighten down?

Thanks for the help,
Matt

The carpet goes over the shifter. No need to remove the shifter. Measure it out and cut a hole just big enough for the shifter boot, then drop the carpet down over the shifter, like in this pic:

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L overhauled by Jake Raby -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

What year is your Ghia? I kind of went through the same thing with my last project. I ended up buying grommets from the Aussie Trimmer and installing them myself. Maybe ask him nicely and he'll make some for you too?

Make a template of your tunnel and lay it over your carpet so you know where to cut. Don't mess up!

hand brake and shifter:

I think I used gorilla glue. to hold everything in place and weighed it down with a barbell.
Sofia74
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Should have added the car is a 1974 coupe.

Thanks for all the tips.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

Sofia74 wrote:
Does the carpet then go around the bracket with the two bolts? Underneath?

The carpet sits on top of the plate with the two bolts (the ball housing), not underneath it. Just cut a round hole to clear the neck.

Quote:
Putting the shifter back together - is there an adjustment? Or just drop it in and tighten down?

The holes in the gearshift lever's ball housing and the stop plate below it are slotted to allow some fore/aft adjustment. To begin with, just center the bolts in the slots, then tighten it down. Once the car's driveable and you can run it up & down thru the gears, you'll know if any further adjustment is needed to ensure smooth shifting. Be sure to try engaging reverse gear too. Also make sure to orient the stop plate correctly with the flange to the right, facing up, and put some grease in the shift rod's ball receiver before attaching the gear lever assembly.

Once you cut the holes in the carpet for the shift lever and hand brake, you can have a local auto upholstery shop fashion some grommets to hide the rough edges. I had a shop replace the heater outlet grommets in my Beetle's carpet and they turned out pretty nice ↓

'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Peter D.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: TMI carpet installation – shifter cutout question Reply with quote

this is probably the best advice you're going to get. An upholstery shop will have a heavy duty sewing machine to do the job.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: