Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

My partner and I who have been traveling in our westy for a bit are meeting some friends who are flying in to Portland(cheap flights) to go do other stuff in Oregon.

Since our whole lives plus countless pennys worth of bikes and packrafts are in our vehicle, I’m not stoked about leaving it parked in a city ecspecially Portland. Our friends want to checkout a few things in the city after they fly in, a city day I suppose.

My plan was to use van alert and find a willing host somewhere on the outside of town and then just take the bus/train in, oddly there is no one listed on VanAlert in Portland?

Does anyone local to that area have good suggestions for parking(I’m fine paying) that won’t have me worrying.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Commercial indoor lots may work if they have clearance. Airport parking will likely work (unlikely homeless are prowling the airport lots and there is a have to pay at the check out gate to get through which they likely wouldn't ) And IIRC there is good public transportation on which you can take a bike from the airport to the city center.

Curious, what theft deterrent do you have installed?

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Meeting at the airport makes a ton of sense just ride the max into town from there.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

You can park *AT* the airport and just take the MAX (Lightrail) into town for whatever. If you want to drive into town, there are several parking structures in the downtown area that are safe to park in as they're manned.

FINALLY, depending on the day and how long I live in the suburbs south of Portland and could probably loan you a driveway for the day.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

When? PM me. I could probably wedge you in between some buses and a Vanagon. I’m in a great location for pedestrian travel. Chances are I’ll be working around the house the next few days and my wife works from home.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter wrote:
Damn that Xevin... Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
I respect Xevin and he's a turd Razz

SGKent wrote:
My God! Xevin and I 100% agree Shocked
drj434343
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

I have off-street driveway space in Lake Oswego that you are free to use. A bus ride down highway 43 and you are in downtown, but not as convenient for public transport as some place in inner SE. However, much safer place to park.

Available if you need it. Shoot me a PM if interested.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Good on you Portland. Some right good options you all offered Applause Applause
Hopefully the OP is not responding because they are having an amazing trip and plans changed. Safe travels mitch5.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Thank you for the replys! I have been out of service around mt rainer enjoying the travels. I will be responding to those who offered.

For theft deterrent I have a passive starter kill and a long term fuel pump kill. I also have full window covers I throw up in the city. A fun one I added but haven’t had to use is the ability to deadbolt all the doors from the inside and crawl out the hatch, making jimmying any door open impossible.
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Took care of the mitch5 Vanagon today. He and the friends are delightful people.
Sent them off to explore the neighborhood and enjoy some fine Cuban food. I always enjoy meeting up with good hearted positive people.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Good on you Xevin.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
mitch5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Portland was a great time. Xevin was indeed a great host for us today and is one of those who make the vw community so awesome!

Thanks again to everyone who offered to help.
pnwkayaker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Xevin, that was a great gesture, they say that Portland people are some of the nicest in the country, you just proved it!

Seattle Meetup at Marymoor (link)
A collection of Simple Useful Mods (SUM) (link)
Xevin Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Today I received a really sweet gift from mitch5. His lovely partner made this macrame. It’s a great VW community we have here on the Samba. I might not be the most technical help on the forums but I’ll keep trying to help where I can.

Clatter wrote:

SGKent wrote:
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Safe place to park my van in Portland for a day? Reply with quote

Quote:
people.
Sent them off to explore the neighborhood and enjoy some fine Cuban food. I always enjoy meeting up with good hearted positive people, and abscate

Hey!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: