Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel hose replacement suggestions
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

Put all new fuel hoses in two years ago and had one burst on me today. I’m looking at the ones on the site below but don’t know the correct sizing. I have a stock ‘73. Need to replace the line from the wheel well where the fuel filter is back to the fuel pump. Appreciate it.

https://belmetric.com/search-result/?search_query=Fuel+hose

Last edited by GratefulPhish on Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

GratefulPhish wrote:
Put all new fuel hoses in two years ago and had one burst on me today.

Let us know if this was German fabric covered fuel hose that burst, and where you bought it.

I've been more fortunate with fuel hose myself, and Arizona gas has 10 to 15% ethanol.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

It was braided hose that I assume I got from jbugs but I can’t find an order confirmation from there.
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

I think this is the one I need, correct me if I’m wrong. Thanks.

https://belmetric.com/m5x10-braided-flennor-multifuel-hose-rhm5braid/
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

That's the one you want.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
hulbyw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

I always thought ACVW's used 5.5mm ID fuel hose. Am I incorrect?
Ovally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

hulbyw wrote:
I always thought ACVW's used 5.5mm ID fuel hose.

Correct.

Regards.
Mazda 929 Hardtop 1977
Mercedes SLC 180 Roadster 2018
Nicholas D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

This line was suggested to me by Aeromech (he knows his stuff) over in the bay window forum and I've been running it without problem. It fits perfectly at 5.5mm ID

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Motorcycle-Fuel-Lin...0zvpz00004
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

Here's my $0.02....
    5.5mm ID is the stock size fuel hose for cars that came with carburetors. FI cars upgraded to 7mm ID.

The 5mm ID hose linked above will work fine and is specifically rated for ethanol enhanced gasoline.

Either externally cloth braided or internally reinforced hoses are both fine. The external braided type is slightly better at handling abrasion.
    Avoid "all rubber" hoses with no reinforcement. These should only be used for vacuum.

Ethanol (alcohol) will eat away OE rubber hoses not rated for ethanol. This happens when the fuel evaporates. Most/many locations around the US sell only E10, E15 or E85 gasoline blended with ethanol. Few locations still sell "Ethanol Free" gasoline. If you can only get ethanol enhanced gasoline you should be looking for hoses rated for use w/ alcohol/ethanol fuels... or plan to replace your hoses yearly.
    If you always run your ACVW on "Ethanol Free" gasoline, use whatever fuel hose you like.

The Honda 5.5mm hoses are probably a better fit (size wise), but that eBay link does not indicate if the hose is rated for use w/ ethanol or not. Be wary.

Regardless of the hose size/type, install hose clamps on the ends of the hoses to ensure they don't vibrate loose. Yes, I know... VW did not use hose clamps, but they were cheap and trying to save $$ Surprised . You can afford to install clamps as insurance; making sure the hoses do not comes loose and start a fire.

'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

I'd be really surprised if most/all fuel hoses sold in USA these days would NOT be ethanol-resistant.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
GratefulPhish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel hose replacement suggestions Reply with quote

Ordered the braided 5mm, they didn’t have the 5.5. Appreciate all of the responses, this place surely is an amazing community.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: