Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering coupler install
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vee-dub8589
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 pm    Post subject: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

I need to install a new steering coupler on my 66 bug I have nevered installed one before can anyone explain to me the process of installing one any pointers would help thanks
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Pretty straight forward. Empty the fuel tank or clamp off the fuel line above the tunnel. Remove the tank. Take a picture for reference before proceeding.
Remove the bolts from the coupling and remove the offending piece. Place the new coupling between the steering box and the column and reinstall all the bolts making sure that the steering box and column flanges are 90Degrees away from each other not in line with each other. If they are in line they will bind. Torque the blots to the correct foot pounds using a torque wrench. Check that all is free and the horn works before installing the fuel tank. Reattach the fuel line to the tunnel.
Job done!
Don't use one of those urethane red cheap ones. Get a good ole rubber one that has the fibers embedded. If the urethane one were to break you lose all steering. If the rubber one fails you get home without the bent car.
Good luck.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
56Cabrio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Pretty straight forward. Empty the fuel tank or clamp off the fuel line above the tunnel. Remove the tank. Take a picture for reference before proceeding.
Remove the bolts from the coupling and remove the offending piece. Place the new coupling between the steering box and the column and reinstall all the bolts torque to the correct foot pounds using a torque wrench. Check that all is free and the horn works before installing the fuel tank. Reattach the fuel line to the tunnel.
Job done!
Don't use one of those urethane red cheap ones. Get a good ole rubber one that has the fibers embedded. If the urethane one were to break you lose all steering. If the rubber one fails you get home without the bent car.
Good luck.

Who sell the fibers embedded ones ?
This is the one i just got from WW , not as good as the fiber embedded ?
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111415417

1956 Rag Top owned since 1988
1956 Convertible owned since 2000
1963 Hard Top

RIP Dad 4/20/1951 - 2/4/2023
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone sells them. I did a little search before responding and it was highly recommended that you locate the fiber embedded one. Even a good condition used one is better that the plastic red one. What you have selected is good for a while. I have never had to replace one in all of the 8 beetles that I have had. But the r&r procedure is the same for all of those years.
Good luck guys.

EDIT
After post this response. I checked my latest acquisition. It has the WW coupler like you ordered. This car drives fantastically. I then checked the P.O.S. rust bucket in my driveway. It has the fiber embedded one installed.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
vee-dub8589
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Thanks I would have never pulled the tank seems much easier that way
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Quote:
urethane one were to break you lose all steering

I've have used them but went with the 'cloth' type coupling (rag joint) due to concerns. This place sells them it looks like. I got mine from House of Ghia but there seems to be a problem with their website. I've own stuff (Ford Trucks) that had the 'rag joint' go out. The bolts on the steering wheel side and the steering box side where extra long so that they 'connected' with each other. Sloppy steering yet steering none the less. I now install, as a modification, a fiber 'rag joint' with 2" bolts pointing towards each other at the 'rag joint'. So, if/when it fails, I will have enough steering to pull over. Wish I had a photo of an installation. I'll try and take a photo and post it. Oh yeah, this place has some..

https://www.mofoco.com/search.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Installed a urethane coupler on my 67(that long on jackstands) about 20yrs ago. Getting close to getting it back on the road and several folks have suggested that I replace it with a rubber coupler. I picked one up at Oriellys for a 67 and the bolt pattern is a tad smaller. It will go on if I force it with some effort while the urethane coupler was a perfect fit. I’m concerned that the rubber coupler would fail prematurely due to the added stress of being stretched to fit.
Is this normal?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thanks
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

you won't be sorry using the rubber plied one. Another 'safety' feature I added in case the joint breaks. Longer mounting bolts mounted towards each other. US cars do it. If you have short bolts and the joint breaks the steering wheel will just spin freely. This causes the upholstery to pucker. If longer bolts are used the extended ends 'interfere' with each other and you will have some steering control until you can stop.

Never had a bug coupling break on me at speed but a F150 truck did and I was impressed that I had some control to keep from going in the ditch or oncoming traffic til I stopped.
VW Wiring = It's just wires
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Did I purchase a coupler that is too small…..perhaps wrong year?

Is it normal to have to stretch it to make it fit?

Thanks
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Quote:
normal to have to stretch it

can't tell from the photos. Put bolts thru both of them side-by-side and then take a photo
VW Wiring = It's just wires
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
Did I purchase a coupler that is too small…..perhaps wrong year?

Is it normal to have to stretch it to make it fit?

Thanks

Red urethane Coupler perfect fit.
Black rubber coupler appears to be too small

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Dorman's website doesn't list any steering coupler that fits your VW which is why the part you bought doesn't fit. You need to buy the correct part.
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Dorman's website doesn't list any steering coupler that fits your VW which is why the part you bought doesn't fit. You need to buy the correct part.

This is what came up on Oriellys website for a 67 beetle:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/dorman-help/d...&pos=0

Either way I will be taking it back in the morning & ordering one elsewhere. It sucks that here in the Carolinas you can no longer purchase most stuff for our aircooled VWs over the counter.
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

In the bay window forum, we’ve found that the Lares are the best ones on the market right now.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/volkswagen,196...upler,7418

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/lares-corpora...&pos=2

I live in rural Colorado and O’Reillys can have parts in store for me the next day.
’65 Deluxe Build
’63 Deluxe Build
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

DerrickfromNC1 wrote:
This is what came up on Oriellys website for a 67 beetle:

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/dorman-help/d...&pos=0

They also list a number of coolant recovery tanks and radiator petcocks that'll fit a '67 Beetle. Wink
DeathRay64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

The steering coupler that I got from WCM was listed as "German".... they used the quotes in the description.

The part is a good quality coupling with fibers embedded in the rubber and it is not too soft. It appears to be made with original molds.

My only complaint is that the left side logo (VW/Audi?) is ground off. But I can see some slightly exposed fibers underneath.

This part also has the proper bushings, which yours does not.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:37 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

DeathRay64 wrote:
The steering coupler that I got from WCM was listed as "German".... they used the quotes in the description.

The part is a good quality coupling with fibers embedded in the rubber and it is not too soft. It appears to be made with original molds.

My only complaint is that the left side logo (VW/Audi?) is ground off. But I can see some slightly exposed fibers underneath.

This part also has the proper bushings, which yours does not.

Broke one of those Audi/VW steering couplers 4-5 years ago. Yes, it had the fibers in it.
While making a U-turn on a residential street (Thank goodness) it broke.

I replaced the coupler with the Dorman coupler and I am still running it today.

That said, if I knew about the Lars coupler. I would have used that one instead.

RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Had a urethane one break on my Thing, I had partial steering due to bolt interference, had about 1/2 turn play, wasn't fun but got home safely.
Bolts and nuts are special, 14mm hex on the 8mm bolts and self locking nuts, bolts remaining connected saved me. The nuts and bolt heads being larger makes them a little harder to remove due to lack of socket clearance around flange.
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
DerrickfromNC1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

I replaced the coupler with the Dorman coupler and I am still running it today.

Did your Dorman coupler look like the above(slightly undersized)

Thanks
AirHead1966
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering coupler install Reply with quote

Glad you all brought this dead thread back to life. Prompted me go and check my steering coupler. Glad I did, seems like I was living on borrowed time.
All nice and replaced now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: