Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oil pressure drop after start up
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Kjell Roar wrote:
Remember some had a similar problem when running thick oil when its cold together with big oil pump.
What viscosity do you run?

He stated that in his first post, I know, I had to go back and look too.
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Hi folks

I have been busy with other stuff but here are some pics of my system, the filter is plumbed the correct way round and it does have a drain back valve, it's a Meyle 100 115 0001

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Clatter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Here’s an idea..

Maybe it’s like this..

Racers run a deep sump not for cooling but because revs can suck the sump dry before the oil drains back.

Maybe you’re the same with the filter and cooler?
Perhaps the oil (or some of the oil) drains out of your filter and cooler before you check your oil level.
Then when you start up the filter and cooler get pressurized but the pickup goes dry before the oil gets back to the pickup tube.
Once the oil gets some heat in it, it thins out and flows well enough to make it back to the pickup..

Maybe something like this is happening?
Try stopping right when it’s happening and run back there and check the dipstick real quick.

Noticed your filter being sideways and thought it could drain mounted like that,
Even though it probably doesn’t..

Something like this happened to me,
And it was the sender wire coming loose.
Maybe you have an intermittent loose connection and the timing of how it happens is coincidence?

What’s That Noise?!?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I would try to mount the filter vertically maybe using a few zip ties temporarily to test like Clatter suggested.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I went through a couple oil pressure issues and learned way too much about the oil system. I learned to overfill my engine by a 1/2 quart, because at 6300rpms the standard oil level gets sucked dry, causing a lack of lubrication. But overfilling the case worked. Down side has been on high rpm deceleration, when I get to a complete stop, I can smell burned oil. Oil that has been sucked into the carbs more easily with the higher level. But that does not happen often enough to make me worry! I much prefer knowing the engine is ALWAYS LUBRICATED!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:19 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Ok so I’ll try vertical filter and a bit more oil

👍
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

If all else checks out, remove the sump plate and check the pickup tube. I had one that came loose (nut backed off and was loose in the case inlet). It would suck air after startup and during hard acceleration when the oil was lower in the case. Also, the oil temp would go up.
evanfrucht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Could it simply be an issue with the sender or gauge?

Maybe try a new filter?
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

With everything mounted that low I can hardly believe it is drain back no matter what position the oil filter is at! You shouldn't even need a filter with a drain back valve.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Well these are the suggestions:
1. Mount the oil filter vertical and see if that makes a difference and it is easy to do.

2. Check the sender. Either replace with a mechanical sender not an electrical one or use a new sender. Also, depending on what you used if anything to sea the sender it could have prevented it from grounding to the case. I solder a ground wire to the body of those VDO pressure senders and run the other end to a good ground.

3. Your pickup tube can be loose and sucking air. Drain oil and see it you can wiggle the pick up tube back and forth. If so you are going to need to swedge the end in the case.

4. Clean the oil pressure and relief valves. Not sure that this is a problem, but if you drain the oil this is easy to do as well. They should just drop out with the springs.

5. Oil pump may not be a tight fit causing it to suck air. Berg and Jaycee offer an o-ring pump to help with that issue.

Keep us posted and good luck.
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Today I measured the oil level just after switching off the engine. It was on the lower mark. Should I add more oil?
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

If your running a deep sump? No
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2022 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Yes and report back if it fixes your problem .
Alway look for the KISS solution first . I don't know how many times Ive heard of people adding extra oil lines , filters and coolers and not allowing for the extra oil capacity when everything is full and the engine is throwing oil up to the heads .
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 4:59 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Ok so I put a litre of oil in yesterday and I didn’t get the dreaded green light but this morning as I was getting it out of the garage to go to a local car meet it blew the oil filter seal! What a mess!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

Are you running a 30mm oil pump?
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

No 26mm

straight 30 grade running in oil
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I too have blown oil filters up, even the High pressure ones,,I run a System One filter now , no more blown seals/filters Wink

76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I worked out the messy way that you need to let the oil temp get to a temperature that will allow the oil to flow well enough for the pressure regulator valve to be able to bleed off excessive pressure before revving the engine over a certain rpm .
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2022 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I have never had that happen on anything in all the years and all the vehicles I have driven. The closest is a couple have seeped a bit around the oil filter gasket at - 35 or so until they warm up!

My TDI and the wife's Lupo both do that in extreme cold but it's never more than a few drops.
paul356A
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2022 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil pressure drop after start up Reply with quote

I have ordered a Golf (Rabbit??) diesel filter - Mahle OC 51 which has been recommended many times on here. I’ll try again with extra oil and make sure I keep the revs down when it’s cold.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: