Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Some CIS info/pics here I found:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=40
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

The reason I have not been posting more info is because the sensitive nature concerning the nature of the build . It employs technology that I have never seen before . It has fuel air vortex towers and turbo mounted air to water intercoolers . The engine in question is a 1602 . It has a big bore kit for a 40 hp with a 74 mm crank . I figure that if two tinny turbos can make a Ford Eco- boost get great milage with 3.0 l dragging around a big pickup truck , I figure that this combination will make a great engine for a split bus . 30's technology is still very common in aircraft piston powered aircraft engines with modifications to the fuel and air induction systems . So the air cooled VW engine is the natural choice to attempt to make a bit better . 😉
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

This is the progress so far on the engine I'm building .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Improvements to the original design system .

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

So yeah I have to naturally re- do the first one to match ! Lol
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

And get this ; the fan cooling is a simple source of low pressure air charge . Naturally with this design it's only obvious to take advantage of that opportunity as well 👍
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 8:33 pm    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Keep posting please! I am following this closely, you just might be on to something here.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Will do 👍
Lo Cash John
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Looking like a really cool build!!

If you actually drive your VW, you need www.AirMapp.com

My boss told me I need to work on my mutli-tasking. So now when I use the bathroom at work I surf The Samba on my iPhone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2022 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

I have to machine the outlets for the water cooled intercoolers . But the mock up of all of the mechanical parts is almost complete . There are a few components of the fuel injection are to be mounted and wired yet .
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Progress. It incorporates quad cyclonic sequential injection with dual anti backfire devices to prevent damage from a posable backfire . They will also double as massive blow off valves as well . I kinda over thaught this one ! Lol

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

This is getting more interesting all the time! I have not heard of anti-backfire devices...
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

They are actually more of a damage prevention device similar to a massive blow off device " valve" that is located on the secondary cyclonic chambers that are attached to each cylinder head . So yeah I have to build two of those to ! 😉
buguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Couldn't you have done just one further upstream before the split?
Dauz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Stand down @Dauz. You don't have to keep coming to this thread to argue about turbo distributor setups Confused
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Looks like changing spark plugs wont be easy.
Busted-bolt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: What "mechanical " type of distributor for turbo Reply with quote

Here are a few more photos

Oh by the way this topic evolved in to the mechanical fuel distributor that I ended up using instead of EFI or some other carburetor based fuel system . There is some very good input earlier in this thread in on getting the optimum performance out of mechanical ignition distributors though ! 👍
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: