Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Colorado Catalytic Laws
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:56 pm    Post subject: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Looking in getting a new catalytic convertor for my 1.9l.

In 2021, Colorado adopted CARB standards and thus I am to purchase a Cali/ Co approved cat at a cost of over 4x that of a universal. 1200 v. 300

All things aside, I understand I shouldn't be able to purchase a universal or have one installed for me, but just how exactly would they emissions shop know I have a new cat? Or installed one 2 years ago that I purchased 4 years Or, a good used one I had laying around.

How could they differentiate between one I installed yesterday versus 3 years ago when 49 state cats were available?

Im on a budget and plan to swap to a 2.5 once I am thru emissions, the 1200 spent on a new Cali/ Co cat is crazy, I'd be willing to throw $300 for a new part but $1200 for a temp part leaves me scratching my head.

Anyone have a Cali/Co cat for rent? I can send a deposit electronically.

Thanks for the input

Last edited by Chestercopperpot on Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Californio
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

The first thing I'd do is get some of that magic "guaranteed to pass" gas additive at the FLAPS. The second thing I'd do is take the van to some sketchy neighborhood and find a "pass or don't pay" smog test place. Somehow they all seem to pass...done it many times.

If you absolutely have to buy a CA cat, wouldn't it work on your new 2.5 when the time comes?
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Californio wrote:
The first thing I'd do is get some of that magic "guaranteed to pass" gas additive at the FLAPS. The second thing I'd do is take the van to some sketchy neighborhood and find a "pass or don't pay" smog test place. Somehow they all seem to pass...done it many times.

If you absolutely have to buy a CA cat, wouldn't it work on your new 2.5 when the time comes?

Totes different exhaust, thus different cat. I'm also in Colorado, we dont have "pass or dont pay" sites that I know of. We have " air care colorado" I privately owned monopoly force fed by the state

I plan to retard my timing, Im not sure of the additive, but will look around
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

unless your emissions tag says CA emissions, i'd put a 49 state cat in there, just like it left the factory.

i don't see how any state can mandate older cars pass CA emissions when they clearly weren't built for that (Colorado) market

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
r39o
Samba Polizei

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
unless your emissions tag says CA emissions, i'd put a 49 state cat in there, just like it left the factory.

i don't see how any state can mandate older cars pass CA emissions when they clearly weren't built for that (Colorado) market

Sadly it just is not the case and the CO people are stuck passing CA smog. It is the law now.....

Has to meet the placard values. Same as in CA.

1990 Multivan EJ 22, Rancho trans 0.82 4th, Small Car front AC, CLKs w/ 215/65-16, homemade big brakes 303mm, Konis, Recaros, etc....

Click to see my ads for Cup holders, Subaru clutch fix and CLK wheels (no wheels currently)
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

I've used a product called "Oxicat" on 2, non-vanagons as a hail mary on cars failing emissions.
I had done the basic tune ups, and still failed, and didn't want to pay for a cat.
Seemed like the stuff actually worked.
Even though I don't hafta deal with emissions anymore, I still put a bottle in my tank about every year.
syncrodoka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

You can reuse the cat on a subaru conversion with a smallcar exhaust, don't know about other systems.
If the cat looks new they will look for the carb numbers stamped in the body. A old cat with new hardware can be easily explained as having fixed an exhaust leak since that is often something that will make the engine run rich and fail.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Skills is right on this. There is another CO thread floating which quotes the regs as you have to meet your placard, which will be a Fed placard in CO.

I don’t think CO adapting CA regs includes upgrading every car registered from Fed to CA

They have adopted the ‘later of the engine or car” policy for engine swapping though.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

As I said in the CO thread, the Clean Air Act affords CA the right to have more stringent standards as they were already in place. It also affords other states the right to adopt CA standards if they so choose. When the previous federal administration chose to scrap their predecessors' plans to proceed with expanded clean air regulations, some states chose to enact their existing right to adopt CA standards. This is why vendors now list the "stock" cat as a 46-state cat, not 49.

Please note this is not a political post one way or the other. I am just stating the facts as I understand them.
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Are you saying that the car sold in Colorado that met all emissions at the time of sale, must now some 35 years later meet the more stringent emissions of a California vehicle, which it never met when new?
I thought Putin was insane.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

snip for new cars

Quote:
Colorado’s new standards will apply to new light-duty and medium-duty motor vehicles sold in Colorado beginning in the 2022 model year. T

skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

r39o wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:

Sadly it just is not the case and the CO people are stuck passing CA smog. It is the law now.....

Has to meet the placard values. Same as in CA.

so you mean to tell me if I moved from CT to CO and my federal emissions car which was legal here now has to be updated to meet CO's or CA's laws?

that doesn't sound right to me. pretty sure even CA would pass my 49 state vehicle should I move to CA

in other words if the placard values of my 49 state car are met or exceeded there is no reason to "update" to CA regs.

If that were the case I'd be carrying insurance only and never register a car again. fuck that

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Wellington wrote:
Are you saying that the car sold in Colorado that met all emissions at the time of sale, must now some 35 years later meet the more stringent emissions of a California vehicle, which it never met when new?
I thought Putin was insane.

Smoking cigarettes in restaurants, airplanes, etc. is no longer allowed. The wimenz have the right to vote. Lands previously preserved for the public have been handed over to corporations which now have similar rights as human beings that they didn't have previously. Inexplicably, fire escapes are required when constructing a building and even buildings that didn't have them when originally built!

Apparently the people choose to change things sometimes.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

Apparently the people choose to change things sometimes.

Overall, the USofA is quite lenient on vehicle stuff... You don't see ANY rusty cars in Europe or Japan, as inspections fail vehicles that are degraded, for whatever reason... Rust is one, various old components are another, emissions yet another. I'd have to say it is a small price to pay to get your cat up to snuff for your locals.

Just be glad there is only 1 cat on (gasoline) Vanagons.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Not a problem here in Washington, but does this mean there are NO classic vehicles in Colorado?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

I had a friend move to CA with a diesel that did not have CA emissions. To register the car, he had to pay a 'fine' so it could be registered. This was a few years ago and I do understand laws change.

There is more than a catalyst that makes it CA approved. I highly doubt if putting in a CA converter is required but it's not my problem to deal with.

As long as society is pushing green, it's only going to get worst. I have 3 daily drivers that are 30 years or older. I do understand at some point of time, I may not be able to drive them. I'm banking on my death will happen first. I do not see some common sense coming in to save the day with these tough decisions.
Chestercopperpot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Not a problem here in Washington, but does this mean there are NO classic vehicles in Colorado?

I will get a 5- year collector plate once I pass emissions this time and will not have to test again for 5-years.

It looks like it would be the date imprinted on the cat that would catch me, I would need to find a federal cat with a date older than the order, or a good used older cat to pass.

At this point I am not able to throw 1200 at a cat. Probably just hang it up for another season.

If anyone has a good loaner federal cat or a cali cat, I can loan I will pay both ways shipping and $$ on top of a refundable deposit. I understand why the emissions laws exist it just knowing that the wasserboxer is a temp engine its hard to spend so much on one pipe!

I may try the oxicat cleaner just in hopes it does something. Hail Mary it and hope it doesnt take out my new o2 sensor
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

Chestercopperpot wrote:

I will get a 5- year collector plate once I pass emissions this time and will not have to test again for 5-years.

i mentioned this in the other CO emissions thread, but why not direct that energy and $ at getting it registered in SD or something
that seems like a one-and-done solution for this.

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

You are close to Texas. Create a company in Texas. Buy an address in Texas. Buy Vanagon with company (no emissions in Texas). Drive the company Vanagon in Colorado. That's the gist. Find someone in Colorado who knows the local laws well to make it work.

You could also just register it out of state and drive it. If you get a ticket pay it. Usually, the tickets are non-moving violations so don't mean much. You need to check your local laws to see the effect of getting multiple of these types of tickets and if you are ok with that.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)

Last edited by heimlich on Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:18 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve244
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Colorado Catalytic Laws Reply with quote

um, all the cool guys register in Montana.

Here's a website that has the dirt. It reads like a Better Call Saul episode, so buyer beware.

https://www.dirtlegal.com/blog/why-is-everyone-registering-their-car-in-montana
The Vanagon's drivetrain and chassis restomod thread. Best sung to the tune of I Did It My Way...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: