Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car)
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Don't worry about the stock Nazis, I had a talk with them and you get a pass. Laughing

I think its funny that we still mention things like that - the worried about what people think, not the Nazi part. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Restoring one of these to stock, and I mean stock is very hard. Even back when I did it a couple times, I had variations of things that weren't "stock" to that year. Parts are just not out there and you need to know personally, several stock hoarders to get some of the stuff you need.

The T3 comunity in my eyes has been at a "getting it back on the street" mentality for awhile. If its running and driving again, then thats a win.

After seeing what other rides you have put together, brother Ill be watching this space to see what you make. Especially since Clatter is done with his.

Cool

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Don't worry about the stock Nazis, I had a talk with them and you get a pass. Laughing

I think its funny that we still mention things like that - the worried about what people think, not the Nazi part. Laughing Rolling Eyes

Restoring one of these to stock, and I mean stock is very hard. Even back when I did it a couple times, I had variations of things that weren't "stock" to that year. Parts are just not out there and you need to know personally, several stock hoarders to get some of the stuff you need.

The T3 comunity in my eyes has been at a "getting it back on the street" mentality for awhile. If its running and driving again, then thats a win.

After seeing what other rides you have put together, brother Ill be watching this space to see what you make. Especially since Clatter is done with his.

Cool

Yeah I can see a full stock build taking years just to snag all the correct parts. This should be a fun car and when I start building out the chassis it will get fun, at least for me. I'm excited to dive into another car.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

lawn ninja wrote:
notchboy wrote:

Cool

Yeah I can see a full stock build taking years just to snag all the correct parts. This should be a fun car and when I start building out the chassis it will get fun, at least for me. I'm excited to dive into another car.

The thing a lot of VW owners don't realize is that a type 3 resto is harder due to a limited supply of parts, and very few reproduction parts. This means most type 3s you see are rebuilt with mostly German parts. You can literally build a bug out of a catalog, but you'll be searching high and low just for parts that actually fit a type 3. It's why I suggested you see if that place was willing to let you cut some metal that you need to fix the rear floor of your trunk/rear seat area.
Those of us not in California, or some other fair weather state are used to dealing with rust. So what you're dealing with is similar to what we've got to work with, although most of ours isn't as nice. I've been watching this thread, especially as the car gets torn down and it's secrets are reveled. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2022 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:

The thing a lot of VW owners don't realize is that a type 3 resto is harder due to a limited supply of parts, and very few reproduction parts. This means most type 3s you see are rebuilt with mostly German parts. You can literally build a bug out of a catalog, but you'll be searching high and low just for parts that actually fit a type 3. It's why I suggested you see if that place was willing to let you cut some metal that you need to fix the rear floor of your trunk/rear seat area.
Those of us not in California, or some other fair weather state are used to dealing with rust. So what you're dealing with is similar to what we've got to work with, although most of ours isn't as nice. I've been watching this thread, especially as the car gets torn down and it's secrets are reveled. Wink

Yeah, it's half the fun of the Type 3 if you ask me. You can't just build it out of a catalog. It's why I appreciate the members of this forum being so helpful. Jason37 literally sent me just about all the metal I need to fix what was cut up. I grabbed some parts from Bug Acres but I'm also about to grab a squareback for parts. I'm interested to get a look at everything once the body is off the pan. The PO really hacked this thing up, and the stuff he did "fix" was really half assed. But we'll get it there.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

I know I've been MIA for a while. Had some things to do for work and I've been gone from home since about May. Just got back a few weeks ago and I've started back into the car. I did order up some suspension stuff and tore the car down some more. I also built a body cart and a table to do smaller projects on. The weather here in TX is finally settling down too, so now it's time to break out the welder and get to work on this stuff.

So, we left off and I had rolled it back into the garage and was working on a parts car. I bought the parts car, stripped it of what I needed and some other stuff and sold the shell to a friend of mine. I got some much-needed parts from it, for the front end and m y buddy got the shell of a 64 square.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

We left off here and then I stripped the suspension and subframe out of it. Then traded a bunch of parts I didn't need off for this squareback.

Then that left the notch looking like this.

So, then it was time to start building some stuff, because I couldn't just leave the notch up on those sawhorses. I needed to be able to move it around. This also just so happened to reveal some of the PO's hack job work again.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

So next I needed to divorce the pan from the body so I could put it on the new cart.

Pretty sure this is supposed to be one piece, unless of course you are the PO of this notch. In which case you just use tech screws to secure the new pan halves. Not a single weld. Just tech screws. This car was a death trap.

Didn't have anyone around to help me pull the pan and body apart. So I used two of my floor jacks to pin the tunnel up to the body. Removed all the bolts. Went around the body prying the body seal loose and lowered it a bit at a time to the ground. I put furniture dolleys under the pan so I could roll it around until I build the jig for it.

Look everyone I found more "metal work". This guy was a hack. His name by the way is Dan Worcester. I would highly recommend avoiding buying anything from this guy. Just lie after lie and then shoddy construction to boot. Here is his profile.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=486489

Here is how the new pan halves were installed. Foam is a good substitute for metal. I'm very glad I didn't just throw a motor in this and drive it. The panhead is butchered, but it's okay. I'm going to change it anyways. Which I'll get at farther into the update.

So, after dropping all that out I needed a dolley and a portable worktable. I looked around Samba and found some ideas. Then I did some terrible drawing and got my wood saw out.

Here is my terrible drawing and the dimensions of the body cart.

Here is what my worktable started as.

Put my 5 year old to work. I figure she can handle saw duty.

She did alright on the cuts. Maybe next time I'll pay her.

And the table is complete.

Next up let's get back to that cart for the body.

With the cart complete I bribed some of my neighbors with beer and we moved the body to it.

Now let's get to the part where I'm not worried about the pan head. So a while back I went down the rabbit hole of coilovers, thanks vwfye. After many hours of looking all around I decided I wanted IFS and IRS with coilovers all around. I just don't want to skimp out on this car. I located a company named iMohr, out of Brazil. I bought their front and rear setup and even though I'm going to have to clean up some of their work, all the basics are there, and I can really go for it. I'm going to need to change the panhead out for a Type I setup and then go from there. But I want to get into the tunnel anyways for feed and return lines for the FI, plus I want to make sure everything is in tact then seam weld the whole chassis.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Hot Rod Ron
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Following very closely on this build. Very interested in the front bulk head swap out to Type 1. Keep the updates coming.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Another notch falls victim to monofoam. My pan was secured with bolts into monofoam in some places.

Do you have the kick panel that goes under the back seat?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

I was wondering if you had to change out the frame head to do that IFS swap, and it looks like you do. Keep in mind you'll have to cut some windows into the tunnel for adding the fuel lines for FI. In my case I ran the lines under the car after I cut the type 3 frame head off, and swapped it for another one (I also layed it back a few degrees to increase caster) due to sever rust.
Nice carts, you'll get a lot of use out of them, and they'll make life a little easier. When I was doing my body off pan lifts, I used my doubled up 2by6 rafters as a lifting point, as I have a tendency to work by myself. I use the front wall that separates the fuel tank and spare tire area, and with a strap and my chain fall I lift there for the front lifting point. I'll use my 2 cable come-a-longs for lifting the rear. Doesn't matter if I'm lifting a Squareback, a Notchback, a Fastback, or a T-34 Ghia, they all get lifted that way. It works for me, as like I said I work alone. I hope this helps.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I was wondering if you had to change out the frame head to do that IFS swap, and it looks like you do. Keep in mind you'll have to cut some windows into the tunnel for adding the fuel lines for FI. In my case I ran the lines under the car after I cut the type 3 frame head off, and swapped it for another one (I also layed it back a few degrees to increase caster) due to sever rust.
Nice carts, you'll get a lot of use out of them, and they'll make life a little easier.

Frame head swap for sure, or I have to build a full custom structure. At this point I'm going for the swap. I was going to cut the lower piece off the tunnel to do the fuel lines and just to get in there and check everything out. Plus, I want to do it all with Stainless and AN fittings. I think the carts are going to pay dividends moving forward as I can put the pan under when I'm not working on it. So, when I build the chassis jig, I just have to keep it low enough to go under. Now that I've got the pan out, I'm going to throw a front end I have on there and get some good datum points.

Quote:

Another notch falls victim to monofoam. My pan was secured with bolts into monofoam in some places.

Do you have the kick panel that goes under the back seat?

Yeah, that foam is killing me. Also, if you look at the back of the driver's side heater channel, he pulled the same garbage as he did on other parts of the body and just put aluminum in with rivets.

No kick panel. If you have one, I'd buy it off of you. Otherwise, I'll probably make one as I haven't had any luck finding one.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Jason37
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

I have one, I'll shoot you some pics tonight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: My 64 Notchback S rescue. (The Un-Cal-Looking of a car) Reply with quote

Sounds good, thanks. I could use one.

My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: