Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Fuel Economy in A Westy
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
puffthemagicwagonvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:50 am    Post subject: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

Hey All!

I’d like to get some input on everybody’s fuel economy. I’ve got an 84 Westy with the 1.9 auto. The only extra weight I have is pretty much from my AUX battery, which is huge. About 80lb. But that’s it.

I filled my tank, drove 80 miles, and filled my tank again. It was just over 7 gallons. Some basic math would suggest I got 11.4mpg. It was very windy, but half of the drive the wind was behind me, so I don’t think the wind would have made that much of a difference.

EDIT: I did just put on new tires. They are a bit larger. 225/70/14. Could that make enough of a difference?

I’ve read on here guys/gals are getting 15-20mpg. Any idea why I would be getting such terrible mileage? Would leave to hear some input.
brickster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

What is your tire diameter? If it's larger than stock, are you applying a correction to your calculation?

I have the same year, trans and engine as you with stock diameter tires inflated to placard PSIs. I get 19-21 depending on top average speed.
SCM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

How long have you had your van? Is this decrease in mileage something new or is it the first time you paid attention to it?

According to this (and some other sources IIRC), a 2WD automatic can be expected to get 15 mpg city / 16 mpg highway (16/18 for a manual trans).

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/1991_Volkswagen_Vanagon.shtml

My 91 Westy automatic gets a pretty consistent 14 mpg which I largely attribute to most of my drives being on highways at around 70-75 mph. I would bet the economy on the factory window sticker and the site I linked above is based on driving 55 mph.

How heavily my van is loaded seems to make very little difference IME. Speed and headwind make a HUGE difference. My worst mileage was 12 mpg during a long highway drive into strong headwinds. My best was 20 mpg on a very scenic dirt road going about 30 mph. But 90% of my trips find me at 14 mpg or just slightly above.

I roll on 8.5 x 27 off road tires and have my front air dam removed so those might also come into play. I do plan to reinstall the air dam eventually and am interested to see if that affects my mileage.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

225/70R14 tires have a diameter of 26.4
185/80R14 tires have a diameter of 25.7
26.4/25.7= 1.027 or ~3% bigger.
your actual mileage is 1.027 x 11.4 =11.7 mpg

I doubt this makes you even 3% happier.

these are just "numbers".
You have to find a 5-mile odometer test on the freeway.
Or use signpost mileages to find your van's actual odometer correction.

And the 11ish mpg is dismal.
I'm not a WBX guy but the first things that come to mind is replacing the oxy sensor or check for a plugged catalytic converter.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

I had a 90 I got 15 yrs ago from a rasta dude in Hood River oregon, it was a weekender 2.1 Auto/Multivan.

The thing was a pig, 12mpg.

I put a ALH TDI in it from a 01 jetta, and unless calculations were off, I was getting 38MPG.

I am moderately had run maybe three tanks in it, and then realized the tranny needed rebuild due to age, the bands were slipping. The trans was never in good shape, it sat on the garage floor for almost 3 yrs prior to reassembling.

I just put in a 091/1, and its geared, RP/lsd/lockered, and I hope to see 10-15% increase due to the expected MPG losses on the automatic.

I'm getting close to taking it for a drive, will certainly master the MPG on freeway driving. Smile

I do think repowering the van is the only sensical way to overcome cost of ownership, and the price of fuel, especially if you like driving.

Even if I did go to another engine type, it'd be a subaru diesel, like this dude..

ITs a gorgeous engine swap, sounds amazing too.

Link

If I ditched my ALH, it'd be for that setup. wooooooo. So clean.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
Even if I did go to another engine type, it'd be a subaru diesel, like this dude..

Such awesome work in 2013.
My main wonder is..... if the van is still running on that engine in 2022.
I don't hear of many Subaru diesels out there. Maybe just this one.

But I think the feller here's first concern is to get his WBX back up to ~`16-18mpg.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

1990 Westy
• full-camper
• auto trans
• 2.1L WBX
• 205/65R15C Cooper Discoverer HT3 tires
• awning, aux battery, camping equipment, personal gear
Averages 16-17 mpg, with boosts up to 20-21 with tail wind & no uphills.

1989 Westy
• full-camper
• manual trans
• 2.1L WBX
• 16" BFG tires
• awning, aux battery, camping equipment, personal gear
Averages 17-18 mpg, with boosts up to 20-21 with tail wind & no uphills.

Poor fuel mileage can be a symptom of a faulty O2 sensor, among other things.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dougnlina Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

Here are some averages for you...
https://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/vanagon
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

EJ22e powered Westy getting about 15-16 mpg.
GoEverywhere
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

I've got a built 2.2L aircooled so not a 1:1 comparison, and mine's a Riviera camper not a Westy, but I get 17mpg if I drive it hard and as high as 27 if its mostly freeway or I drive conservatively.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

I'll also add that 80 miles is a pretty small sample size. A small difference in fuel pump shutoff nozzles or filling technique could sway your results. Unless I'm mistaken (is there an aerodynamics expert in the house? hello ... hello?), a headwind harms fuel economy more than the same tailwind helps it. Tires introduce another variable ...

1. Do a longer test, with more miles, under baseline conditions.

2. Confirm the accuracy of your speedo (the one in your dashboard, not the other one--we all know those tend to exaggerate).

If still only 11-12 MPG, start looking for culprits.

Good luck!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

at what speed did you drive it?
as economy goes down really fast ~70+mph..
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

aerodynamic drag increases as the square of the vehicle speed + wind speed. the curve of drag increases sharply as the effective air speed increases, it is NOT a linear line (graph of y=x*2)! so yes, a head wind has far more detriment than a tail wind helps.

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
at what speed did you drive it?
as economy goes down really fast ~70+mph..

^^^This^^^

My '87 manual with 26" diameter tires and a heavily Kit'd 2.1 WBX (rockers/exhaust/injectors and ECU Mod) gets at best 20.1 MPG on flat ground at 55-60 MPH. At 74 MPH, it gets around 16 MPG in warm weather, and can get as poor as 10 MPG in -20 F.

My '86 with auto trans, stock diameter tires (25.5") and stock exhaust, no kits (except fuel rails which would make no difference to MPG) gets the indicated 14-16 MPG from the window sticker.

Also, agree with above, O2 going bad makes the ECU think it needs to enrich the mix. But also exhaust leaks, vacuum leaks etc can too.
dubbified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
dubbified wrote:

Such awesome work in 2013.
My main wonder is..... if the van is still running on that engine in 2022.
I don't hear of many Subaru diesels out there. Maybe just this one.

But I think the feller here's first concern is to get his WBX back up to ~`16-18mpg.

The guy who made that video isnt responding to comments on his thread, so.. hopefully there is something to learn there.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

dubbified wrote:
[

The guy who made that video isnt responding to comments on his thread, so.. hopefully there is something to learn there.

that's SycroGreg (IIRC) = Boxeer (for sure). he abandoned the Subi diesel when parts were too hard to get.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

hey bud i'm wondering how heavy your foot? I've been taught/learning in my year of vanagon driving that you've gotta drive with a light foot, like far lighter than any other vehicle i've driven. getting that down i'm getting 17-19 mixed condition driving for my beat up 1.9 tin top. I also don't go over 55 most of the time. but check your emissions system, before i had a good cat and working 02 sensor, the van was ripping like 11mpg at best.

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

This is not your problem as it is an electromechanical problem you need to verify first everything is working as it should. After you get it running to best mpg then think about getting a cover or panel on the luggage/cargo rack above the drivers seat. It's open shape causes air turbulence like an open bed on a pickup truck.
It will help a bit if you can get the best aerodynamics from a rolling brick.

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

Couple days ago I went over to the coast and back in our stock '90 with an automatic and got 16.7 mpg.

Craig
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Economy in A Westy Reply with quote

Steve M. wrote:
This is not your problem as it is an electromechanical problem you need to verify first everything is working as it should. After you get it running to best mpg then think about getting a cover or panel on the luggage/cargo rack above the drivers seat. It's open shape causes air turbulence like an open bed on a pickup truck.
It will help a bit if you can get the best aerodynamics from a rolling brick.

Quoted for emphasis. 11.8 is trbl and not caused by tires or wind or solar flares. I will agree 80 miles is not much of a test, but other than that, there's something going on- check all the "electromechanical" culprits listed in the thread before chasing other rabbits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: