Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Do You Drive Your Autostick?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 10:15 am    Post subject: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

I have read a lot of different ways, ideas, guesses, etc on the proper way to drive an autostick. I have been starting out in first and just leaving it there around town (under 40 mph) but wonder if I should be shifting it into 2nd at whatever speed (like 20 or ?) How do you guys who have lived with one and know how to do it make it work? Thanks.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Depends on the road. If it’s a constant stop/start like most suburbs are, your technique sounds fine. A more open road and slower acceleration needs let you go for second earlier to save fuel.

In more hilly regions I would select second sooner on downhills and later on uphills. Hard to say exact MPH because every engine feels different, and it’s not the most critical thing to pay attention to. Wink

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

For speeds under 50mph, leave it in drive 1. Shifting to drive 2 below 50mph may seem like a good idea, but in my experience doing so netted worse fuel mileage and made the car more of a hinderance to surrounding traffic. Relying too much on the torque converter slippage at lower speeds in drive 2 can also overheat the ATF.
bhartwell59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Always start in L to 25 mph > 1st to 40-45 > 2nd 45-75.

These days, a quick start keeps everyone happy... including myself!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Well, darn, guess is a moot point. Went to the library and everything was fine and working perfectly, came out and started car and wouldn't go in any gears and grinds like crazy trying to get in reverse? No warning, no issues, any ideas what it might be? Thanks
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Sounds like the clutch isn't disengaging. Check that you're getting power to the control valve with the ignition switched on and that the shift contacts are providing a good ground when the lever is moved.
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help, i think i found out where my problem is. i can see the bare frayed wire i need to replace but is the something missing from the red connector that doesn't have a wire going to it? Thanks
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

This doesn't help much, but it shows there is just one wire leading to the shifter. It works by grounding this wire.

Check this thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=676407

Or just replace the contact;
https://www.bughaus.com/Contact_Points_-_113713145A.htm

p.s. never use those cheap crimp connectors. Get a tool and connectors for factory-like double-crimps.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=689309
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

You'll likely find the rest of the shifter contact wire tucked down under the carpet, that is what you're missing from the red connector. A previous owner looks to have added a couple terminals to make repair of the contact wire easier, but a butt splice connector (the red one) has come apart.

The lower contact is the only one with a wire. Its wire is fed down through the center of the lower part of the shifter, out the hole in the side, then runs under the carpet along the tunnel to under the rear seat. There, it connects to another section of wire that runs out the back.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

I would use solder and shrink tubing to repair that.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Thanks, i appreciate the help, sadly i have little (maybe no) aptitude or mechanical skills so struggle understanding. Would the blue frayed (now broken) wire lead to anyplace? i can't find anywhere on the shifter to plug it in or connect it and it appears it was just tucked up under the shift boot. but i keep thinking that bare unconnected wire is something to do with my problem since it doesn't go anywhere. Am i beating a dead horse? Thanks
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

You guys are great, i think maybe i am finally grasping what you are telling me. the wire with the red connector was originally under the carpet and came lose and went up under the shift boot so i should be looking under the carpet instead of at the shifter? Thanks.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Might be the problem, at least i hope it is the one that fixing will make shifter work again.
irvanm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

I would have spent the next 2 weeks looking someplace else if it wasn't for your help/ Thanks.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

That wire runs from the shifter all the way back to the engine compartment. Since you are messing with it you should check the condition all the way to the back. Be careful if you remove it from the device in the engine compartment. They are not easily replaceable if the tab breaks off.

As far as driving, there is low gear which is for going up hills. The next gear can take you to about 45 MPH. The top gear you can start in or shift from the previous gear.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr_vanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

I have a ‘68 auto stick. I don’t often use the L range. Normally I start in 1 and shift to 2 at about 30 mph. My engine builder told me for mine (the first model year) the max speed is 55mph. I once drive it in a longish trip at about 70 and managed to overheat the engine. I assume later cars were geared for a higher top speed but I don’t know.

Oh, and be sure to never rest a hand on the shifter while driving. Two friends have borrowed my car and reported weirdness that I’m sure came from them resting on the shifter the way they do in a standard transmission bug.
CarlIseminger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

When I had my autostick, I used L for the quick starts, such as the freeway on ramp. Otherwise starts in 1. If in town and lots of stop and go driving, I left it in 1 up to 40MPH. If I was going to go a distance, I would shift around 35 into 2nd to cut down on engine noise.

Also, my wire broke as well. A temporary fix would be to just twist the two ends together and use some tape to cover until you can find someone to help you fix it correctly.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

Well this thread has covered every conceivable way to drive your autostick, however the Haynes manual says it best.

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: How Do You Drive Your Autostick? Reply with quote

I've always heard the autostick can be push started. The manual there says you have to tow start it and get it to 15MPH.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: