Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake rebuild kit
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wino24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

Hi all...any suggestions on where to obtain brake rebuild kits in terms of quality of the parts? They're for a '71 Beetle. Thanks
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

Wino24 wrote:
Hi all...any suggestions on where to obtain brake rebuild kits in terms of quality of the parts? They're for a '71 Beetle. Thanks

I don't buy kits. I just replace the worn out parts. For stock parts I mostly use www.wolfsburgwest.com

But, all of my cars use the same brake parts so I keep a stock of one set of everything on the shelf.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

I've been using Wagner Thermo Quiet brake shoes and pads on all my vehicles. Replacement hardware is readily obtainable. I use existing drums unless they are scored and need machining or replacing.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Wino24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

The car has been sitting a while and I needed to put new tires on it. While I had tires off I pulled one of the drums off and after looking at it decided I better just replace all the brakes and associated items (wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc...). That's why I'm looking to get a rebuild kit.
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

You want to take your existing master and wheel cylinders and rebuild them or when you say kit do you want a kit with all new parts in it to replace everything you have?
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wino24
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

I wanted to put all new in.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

Wino24 wrote:
The car has been sitting a while and I needed to put new tires on it. While I had tires off I pulled one of the drums off and after looking at it decided I better just replace all the brakes and associated items (wheel cylinders, master cylinder, etc...). That's why I'm looking to get a rebuild kit.

And get new flex hoses, wheel cylinders, master cylinder.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

You'll want to get the following if you have drums all the way around:
2 new wheel cylinders for the front
2 new wheel cylinders for the rear
New master cylinder
2 rubber lines for the front
2 rubber lines for the back
Hardware kit for each of the drums
New set of shoes

There are metal lines as well but those are usually good unless you have rust.

Pick your favorite supplier and order from there.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Brake rebuild kit Reply with quote

Most of the aftermarket hardware (springs, retainers etc.) are junk. Retainer pins the wrong length, springs too soft or too hard or wrong length. Clean up and reuse the originals unless yours are missing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: