Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 4:42 am    Post subject: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Hi,

Does anyone know the measurements of the dipstick to the automatic transmission that are suposed to sit in my late bay from 1975?

There is a pipe running from the gearbox upp on the side, then there is an extantion tube screwed on it that leads in to the engine bay, i assume there shoult be a long dipstick in there?

I am in need of the leghts for the whole stick and its levels Question

Best regards Cool
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Are you saying your dipstick is missing? Do you know which automatic you have? I would try Avery’s or Busted bus for a replacement.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

I have the later 010/089/090 transmission which I believe wasn't used until 1976. That dipstick measures 23-1/4" long from the shoulder to the tip. The add mark is 3/4" from the end and the full mark is 1-9/16" from the end. I don't know if the earlier trans used the same dipstick.
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Yes, i am missing the dipstick. I will check with the company you mentioned.

Okay, I will do a check Very Happy
I guess that means:
Lenght, 590mm
Low mark from the bottom: 19.1mm
High mark from the bottom: 39.7 mm

I dont know if it is the same gearbox or dipstick, this is what my transmissions looks like of what i have seen (borrowed pic).
You can also see where the screw-on-tube" is supposed to sit:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This pic probably shows the missing tube(above the stick(?)) and the dipstick i am missing:
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

That's a 003
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Buy a dipstick and tube for the 003 and drive on.
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Okay. Do i got the measurements of the dipstick to the 003 or not Question
If not, does anyone have them? Very Happy
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Weeatdoritos wrote:

I would think that you would have to pick one up used somewhere as they are long lasting items and the demand for new ones has to be close to zero. I believe they will be the same for Type 3 and 4 cars, and for Buses. Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

AS wildthings noted....do you just need the dipstick or the tube and o-ring for it?

The part # is 003 321 431. It fits both type 3 and type 4 cars. I did not see any in the type 3 or 4 classifieds but there are plenty of 003 trans available. Contact some of these people and check. They may have a spare.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Weeatdoritos wrote:

If I have time this evening, I'll check mine and take pics next to a tape measure. Where are you based? US, UK, somewhere else?
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Weeatdoritos wrote:

I would think that you would have to pick one up used somewhere as they are long lasting items and the demand for new ones has to be close to zero. I believe they will be the same for Type 3 and 4 cars, and for Buses. Someone will surely correct me if I am wrong.

Yeah, ill buy one as soon as i find one, dont worry. Im driving my bus as a daily at the moment, and im having some small issues with the gearing now and then. So im going to change the atf and make sure i have the right amount to start with.
Im living in sweden and these dipsticks doesent grow on trees here if you put it that way Very Happy (really rare with automatic vws from the 70s in sweden).
But i can get a universal stick to work as a temporary solution while im whating on a dipstick sent from the states. Atleast that is my plan.
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

raygreenwood wrote:
AS wildthings noted....do you just need the dipstick or the tube and o-ring for it?

The part # is 003 321 431. It fits both type 3 and type 4 cars. I did not see any in the type 3 or 4 classifieds but there are plenty of 003 trans available. Contact some of these people and check. They may have a spare.

Ray

I just need the stick. Very Happy
I tried to explain what my gearbox looked like, of what i know.
Yes ill check. Thanks.
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Shonandb wrote:
Weeatdoritos wrote:

If I have time this evening, I'll check mine and take pics next to a tape measure. Where are you based? US, UK, somewhere else?

That would be awesome, thanks! I live in sweden. Very Happy
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Here you go.

Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Weeatdoritos
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

Thank you for the help, exactly what i needed.
So.... I got a dipstick in the same size, but I do not get any reading of ATF on it. Curious as I am I taped a piece of metal thread to the dip stick to get a hang of the level atm, with a lenght of around 10 cm, total 70 cm, but I still dont get any readings.

I checked how long the dipstick actually goes in to the pipe by holding he stick n the side.
Can it be true that the lower end of the dipstick should reach avout the middle of the transmission, to the bend of the pipe and not lower? Seems like it of the pics i posted. Mine also does when i checked.

My transmission is shifting gears ands seems to run okay at times, but is hesitating sometimes (jumping between gears when gearing up) and seems to shift from first to third when not giving more then 25% throttle.

Can I really be missing this much AFT and still running the bus okay?

Best regards
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

you need the correct tube also for a dipstick to work.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

It sounds to me like you are low on fluid as any dipstick the same length should follow the tube and stick about the same distance into the transaxle - maybe about 1/2" (1cm) off but fluid should still be showing on it.

Here is my 003 - Does yours have the same dipstick tube? If yes, as long as the dipstick you have is the same length, you should see ATF on it as it only has 1 simple 90 degree bend in it so the dipstick would just go straight in.

The easiest way is to check the specs that an 003 should have, drain it, and refill with the spec amount minus about 0.5 quart that is still in the torque converter. This should give you an approx amount and should be visible on the dipstick, but may not be perfect since you don't have the correct dipstick.

This article states 3+ quarts but check your manual.

https://itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=13784
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image

Last edited by Shonandb on Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

IIRC, the torque converter holds more than a quart… could be wrong.

Several 003 buses I’ve worked with drove fine but were low on ATF. I think VW’s schedule for checking the ATF was lazy, and would recommend checking it more like once a month with normal driving. My driveway is ultra-steep, and the first sign of low ATF is slipping in first gear climbing it when cold.

Good luck,
Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
orwell84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

I could never find a solid number for the total ATF capacity of the 003 transmission. I did a thorough cleaning of mine, dropped both pans and they ended up draining for about 6 weeks, so it was empty. I added 3 quarts when it was reinstalled and ended up adding a lot more. It would not shift into reverse when I first started it, but I can’t remember if it was because of the fluid level or the shift cable adjustment. I think a lot of ATF remains in the transmission and converter under normal driving conditions so you end up adding a lot less when doing a routine fluid change. Also, the fluid level is measured with the bus running in neutral.
Shonandb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Bay automatic transmission dipstick measurements Reply with quote

orwell84 wrote:
I could never find a solid number for the total ATF capacity of the 003 transmission. I did a thorough cleaning of mine, dropped both pans and they ended up draining for about 6 weeks, so it was empty. I added 3 quarts when it was reinstalled and ended up adding a lot more. It would not shift into reverse when I first started it, but I can’t remember if it was because of the fluid level or the shift cable adjustment. I think a lot of ATF remains in the transmission and converter under normal driving conditions so you end up adding a lot less when doing a routine fluid change.

Also, the fluid level is measured with the bus running in neutral.

Good point about checking the transmission oil when it's warm and running in in neutral. If you are checking it this way then you must be low on ATF.
Previous 1973 Panel Bus:
Click to view image
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: