Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Resurrecting My recovered 67
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2022 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Dan Ruddock wrote:
Great to read your story. Like to see how bad the engine is on tear down.

Me too!
It's locked up hard. I'll get to it after the NW Bug Run in June.

I'm hoping that the heads are in good shape. The crank? it could be either a seized main or a rod bearing that prevents the crank from turning.

ATM, I'm just trying to get the car streetable. So I can drive it and save a bit of fuel expense, that My Tundra loves to consume, at great volume! Shocked

I'll be contacting you, RE: beehives and PR's in the future.
I'm in the planning process of a turbo build. Cool

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2022 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Finally got insurance and a trip permit for the car today.
So I took the car for a short drive to get a pic for the "Fun VW Challenge."

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll install the rear bumper tomorrow. The brakes need bleeding using the buddy system. I can only get them to drag the car to a stop slowly ATM.

Man, a 1600 SP is really gutless, after driving an HP engine for the last couple years. Very Happy But it's still fun to drive the car and I look forward to putting more miles on it over the summer months.

I'm really scared of hooking up the heater tubes.
Who knows what moved into the heater channels while the car sat in the forest over the winter months? Shocked

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Ha ha I was looking for a Delivery Truck yesterday too. What is the next challenge....baby steps the car is looking good. It was be back to its former glory before you know it.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Little issue with the 30 pict 1 choke.

After driving the car and letting sit till is cools off. Think all day at work, visiting family and the like.
The choke sticks wide open when I depress the throttle pedal to start the cold engine.

The only way to get it set properly, is to manually pull the throttle arm open a bit, then just touch the fast idle cam. Then the choke snaps closed as it should.

I tried readjusting the E-choke element. The condition didn't change.

Would loosening the choke fast idle retaining nut a little help?

This particular carb has been to VolkzBitz for rebuilding. It has less that 150 miles on it.

Sorry if this is a dumb question. But I have forgotten more about single throat carbs than I can remember! Embarassed

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

I'm having a rich running condition while the choke is closed.
The engine starts, but I have to pump the throttle a little to get it to catch.
Then gently pedal it until the engine will idle on its own.

When I back the car from it's parking spot. I get a whiff of the rich choked carb condition.
I recently checked the e-choke element adjustment. But the rich condition continues.
This has caused me to replace the sparkplugs, due to gas fouling under choke.

Friday while the engine was up to running temp. I made the proper idle mixture screw adjustment, turn it closed until the engine begins to stumble. Then open the mixture screw until the highest idle is achieved.
The cold start this morning, still rich.

Heat riser tubes are clear, there are no vacuum leaks, timing is advanced to 10°BTDC (Norris 330S camshaft), warm idle is 850RPM. Sparkplugs are the same heat range as NGK B5HS.

30 PICT 1, W106 flange restored by Volkzbitz. Bosch SVA 205T distributor, points and condenser, Gapped at .016".

I gotta be missing something in my tune/setup.

Ignore the extra wires on the left side of the engine. They are for a CDI ignition, none of them are hot or grounded when the CDI is not in play.

kpf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

I don’t have any great answer, but just the usual stuff:

- choke should not close all the way when cold. Maybe 80%
- small passages like air correction jet clogged?
- flooding after shutdown?
- float level too high?
- fuel pressure too high?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

kpf wrote:
I don’t have any great answer, but just the usual stuff:

- choke should not close all the way when cold. Maybe 80%, I set the choke to the summer setting. I'll recheck that.
- small passages like air correction jet clogged? Haven't taken the carb apart since the Volkzbits service.
- flooding after shutdown? No, I'm not experiencing heat soak, other than the usual hot engine starting procedure.
- float level too high? Haven't checked that too.
- fuel pressure too high?
Stock rebuilt FP, by me.
If it didn't overwhelm my 45 Dellorto carbs. The pressure should be within acceptable range.

Thank you for your input. I'll see if any of the issues you listed are a culprit.

I wonder of the idle jet has a bit of debris stuck in it?

mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
I made the proper idle mixture screw adjustment, turn it closed until the engine begins to stumble. Then open the mixture screw until the highest idle is achieved.

This is incorrect for the volume screw adjustment. You should turn the volume screw slowly inwards until the idle speed starts to drop, then back it out a quarter to one third of a turn. Backing it out more to achieve the highest idle can result in an overly rich idle mixture.

Quote:

A bit of debris in the idle jet would cause a lean condition, not rich.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 14, 2022 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:
I made the proper idle mixture screw adjustment, turn it closed until the engine begins to stumble. Then open the mixture screw until the highest idle is achieved.

This is incorrect for the volume screw adjustment. You should turn the volume screw slowly inwards until the idle speed starts to drop, then back it out a quarter to one third of a turn. Backing it out more to achieve the highest idle can result in an overly rich idle mixture.

Quote:

A bit of debris in the idle jet would cause a lean condition, not rich.

I was following the instruction sheet that Tim provided when the restored car was returned to me.

That said.
I'll give your method a try. It seems sound.

Thank you for your valuable input.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2022 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

So after adjusting the mixture screw as directed by Mukluk.
The engine still has a rich condition on cold start up in the morning.

It's as if the carb is delivering too much fuel when performing a cold (over night) start.

I have never had a 30 pict 1 act like this.
In the past, I'd tap the throttle pedal to set the fast idle cam, and fire the car up. Nice clean idle at a higher rpm.
This one, acts like it is flowing way too much fuel and I have to pedal is for 20-30 seconds before it will run on it's own.

Any idea's?

MrGoodtunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
... rich condition on cold start up ... I have to pedal is for 20-30 seconds before it will run on it's own.

Any idea's?

I would want to be looking down carb throat during that 20-30 seconds (maybe with the help of an assistant, or a remote start button and working throttle by hand) to see if gas is getting in there from someplace it shouldn't.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

It's as if the carb is delivering too much fuel when performing a cold (over night) start.

In the past, I'd tap the throttle pedal to set the fast idle cam, and fire the car up. Nice clean idle at a higher rpm.
This one, acts like it is flowing way too much fuel and I have to pedal is for 20-30 seconds before it will run on it's own.

Any idea's?

Think someone else asked already, but I will ask again, because it needs to be eliminated or dealt with. What is the fuel pump output pressure? That can easily overcome the fill valve of the carb and just keep going! Or maybe something is stuck in the valve holding it open. Regardless, it is worth a look.

Next item I check with over rich is spark quality. When spark is at a lower output in duration or intensity the ability to ignite a normal mixture becomes hard. Ends up looking like a rich condition when it really is a spark issue.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

MrGoodtunes wrote:

I would want to be looking down carb throat during that 20-30 seconds..

Wearing eye protection, of course!
toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Sounds like your fuel pump is pushing to high of pressure. I would swap it out with another to try it out.
wimkever
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

toxicavenger70 wrote:
Sounds like your fuel pump is pushing to high of pressure. I would swap it out with another to try it out.

I had exactly the same issues with my (stock) single port 1300 with a 30-PICT-1.
Rich condition after a cold start, after a minute or so it became better. It began after I mounted an aftermarket fuel pump. Looking for a rebuilt Pierburg pump now.
My guess is that the spring inside the FP is too stiff and gets less stiff after (partial) warm up.
brian rogers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Before you go futzing with an electric pump, what pressure do you have? Anything more than 3 lbs, try adding a gasket or two under the fuel pump. This will lower pressure.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

VW_Jimbo wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Any idea's?

Think someone else asked already, but I will ask again, because it needs to be eliminated or dealt with. What is the fuel pump output pressure? That can easily overcome the fill valve of the carb and just keep going! Or maybe something is stuck in the valve holding it open. Regardless, it is worth a look.

Next item I check with over rich is spark quality. When spark is at a lower output in duration or intensity the ability to ignite a normal mixture becomes hard. Ends up looking like a rich condition when it really is a spark issue.

Thanks. I'll have to dig my FP pressure kit out of storage and measure the pressure.

The spark quality is interesting.
I can change out the 205T distributor for a Magna Spark II. That I run on the higher performance engines from time to time.
Also have a backup Crane CDI system if I wanna go through the process of wiring it up.
And then there's the non-vacuum distributor selection I keep as spares, 009, 010, 019.

Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

brian rogers wrote:
Before you go futzing with an electric pump, what pressure do you have? Anything more than 3 lbs, try adding a gasket or two under the fuel pump. This will lower pressure.

The FP is a rebuilt square top mechanical.

I have two electric pumps that I use on higher performance engines.
They deliver around 3.5psi pressure.

I'll dig out my pressure test kit from storage and test the pressure.
Even though this particular FP has supplied fuel to many different engine configurations in this car. It has never presented any pressure issue in the past.

I have another rebuilt square top in the shop as a spare.
Actually I have 3. <Fn hoarder Shocked

toxicavenger70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

wimkever wrote:
toxicavenger70 wrote:

I had exactly the same issues with my (stock) single port 1300 with a 30-PICT-1.
Rich condition after a cold start, after a minute or so it became better. It began after I mounted an aftermarket fuel pump. Looking for a rebuilt Pierburg pump now.
My guess is that the spring inside the FP is too stiff and gets less stiff after (partial) warm up.

It has happened to me in the past. It can be super frustrating especially when you have a new/rebuilt pump.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Resurrecting My recovered 67 Reply with quote

Picked up a box from the post today.
It contained a new set of CB Disc brakes for my car. The brake kit is very well manufactured.

The calipers are much larger than the, uh, hm, EMPI tiny calipers.
Then I opened the 2.5" lowered spindle box, and realized, I ordered the kit for a link pin front end. Embarassed Dammit!

I'll call CB tomorrow morning and see what parts from the kit I need to return and what will work with a BJ front end.

The car has been off the road for a week now and gas prices have surged again!
Filling my Tundra is gonna empty my checking account, faster than my engine build! Shocked

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: