Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

vw tools / parts storage ideas
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
crankbait09
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

I need some ideas / pictures on how you all store your vw specific tools.

Right now, I have my tool chest which houses all my standard every day sockets, wrenches, hammers etc. I have a number of VW only tools / equipment that I have no clue what to do with. Right now they are all thrown in another tool chest, but can't really be organized cause there are so many and not enough drawer space to do so.

All the walls in my garage are drywalled. I have two work benches, and a shelf above each. I do have a 5 tier plastic shelving unit I picked up from HD that holds, my manuals, torque wrenches, and other specific tools that actually came in hard storage cases. Me personally, am not a fan of peg board. I would like to hear what you guys do to store your vw specific tools. Maybe my only option is to buy another tool chest with more room. But again, I'm open for suggestions.
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

I keep all the metric tools in one toolbox, all the not metric in another. My son keeps all his in a different location in the barn, as he has whitworth tools for his bike.

The pullers and oddities are hung/shelved where visible. If I cant see it, looking for it drives me nuts.

I have repurposed 12" deep cabinets, one with bug bits, one with bus bits that I keep spare parts in, and on top are tool boxes. The benz bins o stuff are upstairs in the barn. Other cabinets are labled plumbing, electric (household crap)

Had a friend who used rubbermade containers labled with content. Brakes meant all tools used for Brake work including spare pads, shoes, spings, and tools for bleeding. Ive kinda adopted that.
Kafer_Mike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

I added a couple of these 16"x32" Wall Control galvanized pegboard panels to my finished garage walls for various clamps, hammers and specialty tools. Like my59, I don't use them often, but hate to have to search for them when I need them. You can find the panels on Amazon and any big box hardware for ~$25 each..
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Kafer_Mike on Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:19 pm; edited 4 times in total
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

Some of my VW tools.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

I have a couple of drawers dedicated to VW tools, factory and homemade. I'm not sure why, maybe German tool pride?
jeffrey8164 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

What I consider VW specific are things like lifter clips, head cc plates, deck height tools, carb snail, adjustable pushrod, engine stand, clutch alignment tool, ball joint eccentric wrench…stuff like that.
Those are in a file cabinet drawer sharing space with my original spindles.
Most all my spare parts are stored carefully in labeled boxes on the wall-o-shelves in the garage.
My everyday tools are in a combination tool boxes, pegboard hooks and nooks and crannies on the shelves below the bench top.
I just kinda threw everything in there in some fashion when I moved into the place always meaning to organize it later.
That was 23 years ago.
I just live with it now. At least I know where everything is.

Here’s a video from a couple years ago in which I walk through the place.

Link

“Let he that is without oil throw the first rod”
(Compression 8.7:1)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: vw tools / parts storage ideas Reply with quote

Hey All

Storage is a challenge. I have have picked up some old Craftsman roller chests at Estate and Yard sales. Keep looking, having roller chest with drawers is a special bonus.

Beyond that I have 2 other solutions that run on Harbor freight casters:

1) A rolling platform with 2x4's supporting 4 shelves. Each shelf designed to hold 2 toolboxes (front and back). I had a bunch of tool boxes, and put specialty tools in labeled tool boxes on the shelves. Front end tools, brake tools, Soldering/brazing, Cement, Drywall, Tile. Thinking of tool sets that are used outside the shop, or infrequently.

2) The pedestals from an old wooden desk. Someone was throwing out a beat up old wooden desk. I didn't need the top, but used the drawer sections. Cut off the legs, stacked the drawer sections with casters and have an extra deep roller cabinet. holds lots of hardware, sandpaper in filing sections.

Storage and organization are always at a premium.

Scott
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: