Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

So I’ve read quite a few threads now and can’t seem to figure out how you remove the pushrods without removing the coolant pipe. What am I missing here? Thanks in advance for going east on me.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
[/quote]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

What's the final objective? If you're going for lifters then you have to trash those push rod tubes anyway, so you cut them out and it gives you more room to angle and remove the PR tubes.
Aside from that I can't think of a reason to remove them that doesn't involve tear-down/ removal of that coolant line.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

Bub wrote:
What's the final objective? If you're going for lifters then you have to trash those push rod tubes anyway, so you cut them out and it gives you more room to angle and remove the PR tubes.
Aside from that I can't think of a reason to remove them that doesn't involve tear-down/ removal of that coolant line.

Darn thought that was the case. Installing some Mansispeed 1.35 rockers. “I can knock it out in an afternoon”
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2022 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

alinghi12 wrote:
Bub wrote:

Darn thought that was the case. Installing some Mansispeed 1.35 rockers. “I can knock it out in an afternoon”

I'm sure back in the old days I've had someone *gently* pry on the coolant pipe just enough to slide the PR tubes out. Or you can bend/cut the pushrods and slide it out if you don't need them in the future. They're not hard to find parts.
Not sure that helps you insert the new ones though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

Did you ask Mansi yet? He is good at responding, from the times I have had need of his input on kit I've gotten from him.
Igeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

Why do they need to come out if only replacing rocker arms? Do they call for different push rods?
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

Igeo wrote:
Why do they need to come out if only replacing rocker arms? Do they call for different push rods?

The Mansispeed 1.35 kit has its own custom pushrods.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

have you asked Marco about this?

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
alinghi12
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

So! No I didn’t ask marco but I did ask all the homies and this is where it ended up. Slight pressure gave me just enough to get the old pushrods out and the new ones in.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

For the record, didn’t pick the whole van up off the pipe. I did give enough pressure to give me clearance, we’re talking a mm… with that said it was enough to get the old rods and and the new ones in. No leaks so feeling good about that. Will be updating in the 1.35 thread but initial drive around the city, 1.35 rockers made a noticeable difference in the mid range specifically. Haven’t gone on the highway yet (done 5miles). Idle weirdly feels smoother. With that said I could of just needed a valve adjustment but! And a big but felt a decent amount of power in the mid range specifically. Again will update on the Mansispeed thread further after testing a bit more. I know that’s what I was looking for months ago before I pulled the trigger.
marcotheturbosteamengine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing Driverside Pushrods with removing Coolant Hose Reply with quote

Just as a tip, you can loosen the water pipe at the waterpump just enough so you don’t lose any water and you can move it up, theres enough slack in the holes in the water pipe to do this, then the pushrods come out.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: