Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

I've just discovered my project needs a lot more work than it appeared to, but right from the beginning my gut feeling was telling me there was something bad going on underneath the new paintwork and metal, which is why I decided to put it together as quickly as possible so I could get it tested and drive it a bit to find the hidden issues.

As it happens my partner's feelings take priority over my 'gut', so I'm going to have to restore the Super even though it's most likely a breaker, but it struck me - is your gut feeling about a car ever wrong? And if it is, would you admit it to yourself? Very Happy
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Quote:
new paintwork and metal,

Any car sold with this, without before pictures, is a cosmetically adorned porcine unit.

Who does good bodywork without documenting before and after?

No one.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Quote:
new paintwork and metal,

Any car sold with this, without before pictures, is a cosmetically adorned porcine unit.

Who does good bodywork without documenting before and after?

No one.

Very true, though even a good project thread (or folder) can be deceptive - many years ago there was a well-known user on a UK Land Rover forum who had restored his Series 2 (early 1960s 4x4 if you haven't seen one) seemingly to a good standard. Only he hadn't fitted the same size brake drums on the same axle and the steering box / suspension was very worn, and since he would have known he'd taken dangerous shortcuts he got charged with manslaughter when the LR went out of control and killed someone! Shocked
Iowa Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Sold my old Datsun pick-up with 210,000 miles on it because I could just feel it was about to die. The kid I sold it to drove the crap out of it for the next 4-5 years before totaling it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Iowa Mark wrote:
Sold my old Datsun pick-up with 210,000 miles on it because I could just feel it was about to die. The kid I sold it to drove the crap out of it for the next 4-5 years before totaling it.

Wow, that's a tough old truck! Still, guaranteed the engine would have dropped out the bottom if you had kept it...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Oh yes I have been wrong about a car that I bought. Bad bodywork rarely gets by me though, I can spot that a mile away! In fact when I go to a VW event I struggle to keep a lid on my opinions as I talk to the owners. It matters not if they did the work themselves or bought it that way. They don't want to know what I see!

It's just the old body man in me talking... Rolling Eyes
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Oh yes I have been wrong about a car that I bought. Bad bodywork rarely gets by me though, I can spot that a mile away! In fact when I go to a VW event I struggle to keep a lid on my opinions as I talk to the owners. It matters not if they did the work themselves or bought it that way. They don't want to know what I see!

It's just the old body man in me talking... Rolling Eyes

Ha ha, I know what you mean, even though I've only done a bit of bodywork on rusty old Triumphs and Italian cars, my 'spider sense' was tingling about my current project, even though I could see both sides of the the roof and firewall, and they were ok. Had that once before for an old Vauxhall Victor (a GM-owned UK brand with a reputation for rust) too - I crawled underneath, scraped off a bit of underseal with my fingernail here and there, and found the floorpan was a patchwork of panels cut from at least 6 different Victors, judging by the colours!

I still wanted it the Super despite my doubts though - I didn't want to ruin an immaculate one and it was pretty cheap for a Bug with so many new panels and decent paintwork, even if most of it did come in boxes Very Happy I always figured it might be a breaker, but it didn't even occur to me that my partner would like it quite so much, which I guess proves a lady's feelings are more unpredictable than a Beetle's body rot Laughing
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

I get a gut feeling quite often but it's probably because I'm the Secretary of Steak.
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Bonesberg55 wrote:
I get a gut feeling quite often but it's probably because I'm the Secretary of Steak.

Laughing
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
Iowa Mark wrote:

Wow, that's a tough old truck! Still, guaranteed the engine would have dropped out the bottom if you had kept it...

Nah. This guy could rebuild it... https://www.facebook.com/reel/999524694051682

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
mj2k wrote:
Iowa Mark wrote:

Nah. This guy could rebuild it... https://www.facebook.com/reel/999524694051682

Hope he didn't recondition the engine in my Super, but nothing would surprise me Very Happy

Bet that old Datsun still ran fine despite that horror too...

Still not quite as tough as this Toyota Hilux though:

Link
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Always go with your gut...
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2022 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Always go with your gut...

For any fans of NCIS:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
swharris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2022 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

The ones I've been wrong on are ALL the ones I passed up. '66 21 window $3500, really nice Puck trailer for $2500, '62 OG paint ragtop bug for $2000. The list goes on and on. I was always short of money or it was house or kids or space. lol Oh well.
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

If the price is too good to be true - it is.

For VWs, we will always need extra parts to keep a good one running a long time. It is not unusual to buy a parts car or bus.

YOu want into this hobby - here it is.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
…is your gut feeling about a car ever wrong? And if it is, would you admit it to yourself? Very Happy

The real question is… Is your gut feeling about a car ever right? Laughing

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
sb001
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Subarus

1969 autostick sedan, family owned since new
1600 SP engine
Solex 30 PICT 3 carburetor
Bosch 113905205AE autostick distributor
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:
Subarus

That's fighting talk Very Happy

I'm in the UK so we don't get the same Subaru models as the USA; generally the UK lineup is designed for 90 year olds and up (they are feeble but reliable) so the 'weapons of choice' are Japanese imports. They are rather fun, even if you mix UK and Japanese parts in the same car:

Link
Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

mj2k wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Subarus

we don't get the same Subaru models as the USA; generally the UK lineup is designed for 90 year olds and up

Mention Subaru and the only cars that come to my mind are the Impreza WRX and the Forester equivalent. Either would scare your average Grandad to death.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is a gut feeling about a car ever wrong? Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:
mj2k wrote:
sb001 wrote:
Subarus

we don't get the same Subaru models as the USA; generally the UK lineup is designed for 90 year olds and up

Mention Subaru and the only cars that come to my mind are the Impreza WRX and the Forester equivalent. Either would scare your average Grandad to death.

Have a look at Subaru UK's current line-up, every page mentions 'safety' first, and even the vaguely interesting ones in the past decade are rebadged Toyotas! It's been like this since about 2012, and the last new performance models were introduced in about 2005 #Sleep

Last edited by mj2k on Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: