Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

I would pull it down, give it all a good clean, and at least inspect the bearings and all that.

Looks like a good core, be a shame to suck all that goop and grit in there.

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

I salvaged a case , flywheel, crank and conrods from a £51 longblock engine like that. Smashed off the cylinders, used recycled heads , new pistons and cylinders.
Reused rocker assemblies, dumped pitted valve springs.
Half the camshaft gear had dissolved.

Used a parts washer I borrowed on that AS21 case. It had corrosion inside and outside but there was still enough metal for the sump gasket to seal.
Had to rebuild some places where the bolts clamping case halves had nothing to bear on .. JB Weld to the rescue.

Ran 30000 miles until a valve head fell off.. recycled heads..

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TXHCBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

I just tore apart 2 long blocks with water in them. In both cases there was mild to moderate corrosion. I definitely would not run that engine without a full teardown and inspection. If the case, crank, cam and rods look good, replace bearings, rings etc. and have peace of mind. The alternative is literally Russian roulette..
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

Looks like a good core. Pull it apart and see how she looks inside. From what I can see - good to go. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dusty1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

Emeraldlion wrote:
Hell, life is short. You only live once. Throw some fresh oil in it, marvel mystery a few drops in the cylinders overnight. Try and fire the bad boy up and give it some rpms. If it blows it blows, if not change the oil again and run it until it does blow.

I'm in this camp. I've rebuilt more wet / stuck engines than I care to count. This one is just wet, not stuck and it's clean- ish inside.

The careful / cautious way to do it would be to tear it down and rebuild it. Then you're up against "supply chain issues" including stupid BS like "Where do I buy good 20/10 bearings?" and "Do you know anyone who does accurate line bores?" and the rest of the slide down a a slippery slope. Screw it! This thing is on its second life already 'cuz it's built on a Type 3 case. Maybe it has nine lives?

Comparing apples to oranges, my XS650 Yamahas came from Japan with big magnets on the oil drain plugs. They catch an alarming amount of metal. Machine shop chips can't be good for any engine but they're in there. Worst I've seen is a 1" long piece of compression ring on the magnet. Still has good and even compression on both cylinders. Maybe one of my wise ass riding buddies dropped it down the oil fill just to mess with me? Rolling Eyes

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

Post error!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!

Last edited by 67rustavenger on Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

Dusty1 wrote:
Screw it! This thing is on its second life already 'cuz it's built on a Type 3 case. Maybe it has nine lives?

Cough, Cough, Bullshit!
Type 3 engines, are usually in great shape.

The car spends so much time broken down.
The engine never gets, worn beyond factory spec! Lol!

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

^ This may be the first time I have ever seen someone quote their own post, before the quoted post posted. 67, I see that as good as being the first time traveler. Pretty cool!
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Cough, Cough, Bullshit!
Type 3 engines, are usually in great shape.

The car spends so much time broken down.
The engine never gets, worn beyond factory spec! Lol!

Really?!

Out of all the VWs we had in our family my sister's '71 Squareback was by far the most dependable. It had the most power and got the best fuel mileage too! It's the only one still in existence and if I were to pull it out of the hay shed today, put new tires and rubber brake hoses on it I would not be afraid to drive it anywhere!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

I'm thinking it was more of a lighthearted joke oprn. Maybe I read it wrong. The 71 fuel injected square that I had briefly was a super clean engine, but that's because an injector went out and they parked it for 30 years and since it was an auto no one wanted it 😂
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

The only complaint was that every time we looked at the engine those Bakelite injector holders were broken. Didn't seem to effect how it ran but we got tired of buying new ones so I got a machinist buddy to make a set out of aluminum. End of problem!
Emeraldlion
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

This one has a stuck injector. Ultrasonic in b12 and all was good, fired right up. Other than feeling a touch under powered I actually really like the true automatic. Sold it to a young man who loved vws but had a prosthetic left leg so had to have an auto.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The only complaint was that every time we looked at the engine those Bakelite injector holders were broken. Didn't seem to effect how it ran but we got tired of buying new ones so I got a machinist buddy to make a set out of aluminum. End of problem!

You're kinda, justifying my, Yes, Light "Hearted" joke. Very Happy

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: Water and sediment in old engine- Is it salvageable?Or worth it? Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
oprn wrote:

You're kinda, justifying my, Yes, Light "Hearted" joke. Very Happy

We rebuilt the engine at 80K miles, it now has 130K on the car and it was taken out of service due to body rust issues. That was the only real problem we had with the car. Never replaced a single other item in the FI system not even the filter! My '71 SB on the other hand... I don't know if I can remember all the issues I had with it!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: