Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue72beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I started with a can of Zip Strip that I found in the garage. It's older though, and had the Methylene Chloride, so it worked really well.
I ran out of that and have been using this.
https://www.menards.com/main/paint/solvents-cleane...mp;ipos=10
You can't get stripper with methylene chloride anymore, so it doesn't work as well. It just takes longer to soften the paint and I have to apply it more often. I've been applying the stripper with a rag, wait a minute, then use a plastic scraper to scrape it off. Once most of it's off, I put a dab of stripper on steel wool and take the rest of it off. The paint really loads up the steel wool so I've been going through a ton of it. Lots of rags and lots of steel wool. Then a final wipe with acetone on a rag.

I've been finding lots of bare spots that some PO sanded down, plus some odd random spots of bondo in places that didn't need it.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tehillah1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I'm liking the "layered" look on some of the beauties in this thread. Kinda displays a lot of history and character...and the old splittys wear it well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iamdave1087
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Hey guys. Thanks for all the info in this thread.

I just recently purchased my first bay window bus. It's a 71 deluxe and the og paint was covered with what appears to be some white spray paint. In some spots I could see the OG Kansas Beige show through so I wanted to test out removal of that to expose the paint. I used Goof Off Pro Strength Graffiti Remover, and some standard 0000 Fine Steel Wool. For when it would get gunked up with the paint in the heavily painted spots I would use a brand new piece of steel wool to come behind one that was mainly used to wipe the material off the paint.

A shot of the drivers side front of the original condition before removing the spray paint

A shot of the same side after trying out the Graffiti Remover on the door and side panel

Images from the same side after removing the paint

Expecting some warmer weather this week and will get out there to clean up the OG paint a bit. Once I get it to the shop the rust work will begin but wanted to make some progress on something in the interim. Will post updates.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

@Iamdave1087

Looking good!

You seem to be making short work of the white removal there. Do you have to neutralize the graffitti remover with water after you've removed the paint? Or is that only for more robust strippers?
Iamdave1087
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Larry Engelmann wrote:
@Iamdave1087

Looking good!

You seem to be making short work of the white removal there. Do you have to neutralize the graffitti remover with water after you've removed the paint? Or is that only for more robust strippers?

Thanks @Larry Engelmann!

What I found in areas that had heavy paint, I had to clear off as much as I could with a piece of steel wool that didn’t have residue caked on to remove what was left from the first pass.

If I found it to be cloudy following I would hit with a second application lightly and wipe down again with a clean piece of steel wool.

Then lastly, I’d take a microfiber towel with water and some dish soap to cut through the remaining residue. By the time I got to the other side of the bus I found a bit of a rhythm with the process.

Tonight I buffed and polished to see how much luster I could get. Finishing up a test section tomorrow will send updated pics of finished product.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Iamdave1087
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

So over the last week or so I finished up the project of removing and old spray on paint job from a past owner in the far distant past lol.

I continued to hit every panel with the Goof Off Professional Strength Graffiti Remover mentioned in my previous post.

On each panel/door in the areas that aren't completely rusted and will be cut out in the restoration process, I continued hitting them with the graffiti remover in conjunction with 0000 steel wool. Some spots were rough and required several applications, steel wool then repeat. The areas heavily painted and where the panels were likely prepped a bit better were tough. It would leave white swirl marks behind (the previous paint applied was a white spray paint or rust oleum type). I would let the swirl marks set and hit the rest of the panel. Then I would return to those areas and hit them again and repeat the process.

After I finished the removal of as much of the old paint as possible, I polished with a moderate cut compound on all the panels and wiped down. Following, I applied a Yellow Wax to all the panels and wiped down.

Below you will find pictures after completing. Next up, rust repair. A tad out of order but I wanted to see if I could get the OG paint on full display to get a pulse on how to finish the project if I take it all the way. Now that we're getting some warm days here and there I'll get the wheels and tires off to put on the new wheels and tires my father has sitting for the bus and get it up to his shop.

At that point we'll start digging into the rust repairs and go from there. Just bought a '68 Beetle that I'm going to shoot to get on the road to have something for the summer while this project is underway. Overall a pretty rewarding small portion of the project. Thanks all for the help in this thread from all the previous commenters.

The Finished Product

Front of the Bus, left the rough scratches where it was likely driven through the woods surrounding the farm where it came from here in New Jersey. I left the VW logo outline which I thought was a cool touch.

Passenger Side Low Angle Before and After

Rear of Bus

Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Iamdave1087

Nice work! Looks like it holds a shine well too:)
Iamdave1087
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks @larry Engelmann!
Adriel Rowley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I wanted to do something with Ruby, she is not here, but her decklid is, so tried getting the red and orange (a clear mistake by the painter) off the original paint.

Most of the time, the Motsenbocker's and grey Scotch Bright were doing nothing and by the time started to do something, was taking all three layers off, why?

Also, why the odd scratches through into the factory primer despite a circular motion?

At this point in time, regretting this, seems should have stuck with the random orbital and rubbing compound, especially as leaves far more natural and therefore, aesthetically pleasing, wear patches.

Thanks in advance for any help. Very Happy

Dad's 1964 Beetle purchased September 1968.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9252810#9252810

1971 Sunroof Squareback with Fuel Injection
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=219811&highlight=squareback+rejuvenation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Here’s a few decklids I’ve worked on over the last few months.

Before- Wolfsburg dove blue decklid

After

Before- Fire Engine Red 58 decklid

After

Before- postal yellow 58 decklid

After

EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2022 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Wow, nice work, any tips on products or techniques?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Larry Engelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I second Everett's impression, great work indeed!
scottyrocks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Wow, nice work, any tips on products or techniques?

I'd like to know them, too. I have a similar situation, but with dried boiled linseed oil.
58euro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks guys!! Most important part of stripping paint is staying patient, as each old paint job reacts differently. The dove blue decklid above only had 1 repaint of that white. The white came right off just wiping it with acetone. The fire truck red one was more difficult as it had 4 old paint jobs. Took my time working in small sections using steel wool and acetone to break through the layers and some points needed to be hit with acetone on Q tips. Tough small sections got Q tips wrapped in steel wool and then dipped in acetone. The postal yellow decklid had 5 paint jobs on top of it but went a little quicker. First couple layers were so dry and crappy that a razor blade flaked those right off. Then I used steel wool and acetone to bust through the last few layers similar to how I finished the fire truck red decklid. Going really slow and focusing on small sections ensures that you save as much of the paint as possible no matter what the condition of the paint is underneath.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Applause Applause Applause
58euro wrote:
Thanks guys!! Most important part of stripping paint is staying patient, as each old paint job reacts differently. The dove blue decklid above only had 1 repaint of that white. The white came right off just wiping it with acetone. The fire truck red one was more difficult as it had 4 old paint jobs. Took my time working in small sections using steel wool and acetone to break through the layers and some points needed to be hit with acetone on Q tips. Tough small sections got Q tips wrapped in steel wool and then dipped in acetone. The postal yellow decklid had 5 paint jobs on top of it but went a little quicker. First couple layers were so dry and crappy that a razor blade flaked those right off. Then I used steel wool and acetone to bust through the last few layers similar to how I finished the fire truck red decklid. Going really slow and focusing on small sections ensures that you save as much of the paint as possible no matter what the condition of the paint is underneath.

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Here’s a little insight into the new paint strippers out there since they don’t have methylene chloride in them anymore .you shouldn’t put it on with a brush.brushing leaves air pockets on the surface of the stripper . You should use a bondo spreader and put a nice thick wipe on it . After you apply it cover it with a piece of plastic . Let it sit for a little while and see if that works better . I have a body shop and I feel your pain with these new strippers.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

How do you quickly stop the stripping process to prevent amounts OG paint from being removed? Is there a solution used to stop the process of acetone reaction when you want it to stop?
www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2023 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Just a follow up on my last post about the new strippers. aircraft stripper finally has something that works close to the old stripper. it called Aircraft Stripper ULTRA. used it today and went straight down to the metal on the first coat. Just follow the directions.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

Thanks bruceo98 for the update. BTW are you saying you were unable to stop the process to get to the OG paint? If so let us all know how you are able to stop it. I have a few small projects I'd like to try and get to the original color prior to welding.

http://kleanstripauto.com/products/aircraft-ultra-paint-remover

bruceo98 wrote:
Just a follow up on my last post about the new strippers. aircraft stripper finally has something that works close to the old stripper. it called Aircraft Stripper ULTRA. used it today and went straight down to the metal on the first coat. Just follow the directions.

www.mauiroadsters.com
Lind wrote:
bruceo98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2023 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Removing aftermarket paint to get OG paint Reply with quote

I have no idea of any product that would stop at any certain point. Strippers are made to remove the paint. Even if you were to be able to stop the stripper from taking it all off , the paint under it will be soft and impregnated with the stripper. Not a surface I would want to chance putting paint over. Especially with the cost of paint materials right now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52, 53  Next
Jump to:
Page 51 of 53

Jump to: